Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Fast physics

Were still in 0.1...
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(03-05-2011, 07:47 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: And if u dont want em u have to do more advertising, maybe for Xonotic 1.0 for new players.

We need more/better advertising either way when even the majority of Nexuiz players don't switch over, even though setting up a Xonotic server with Nexuiz settings would be quite easy... :p
(03-05-2011, 07:47 AM)CrrazzyRulezz Wrote: "how to make this hater fraction as small as possible??"
good question rage

Survey. Perhaps split into two parts, first ask what people want, then ask if the majority is okay with how it turned out. If not, then that function/whatever might still need adjusting.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Agree with advertising. Let's not forget there's still a lot of nexuiz servers that will likely switch over to xonotic one's after the release of 1.0, it's quite a way off, but I wouldn't let the number of player's on servers just yet be such a worry at this early on, the game is still essentially in an alpha state.

I would rather not advertise too early, i'm GLAD we weren't slashdotted when we first released 0.1preview. That would've been way too much attention for how early the project is, and would've left a bitter taste in way too many peoples mouths.

Personally I think your changes are a bit too slow FruitieX, it's better without lowering walking speed so much.

(03-05-2011, 12:32 PM)Samual Wrote: I would rather not advertise too early, i'm GLAD we weren't slashdotted when we first released 0.1preview. That would've been way too much attention for how early the project is, and would've left a bitter taste in way too many peoples mouths.

Personally I think your changes are a bit too slow FruitieX, it's better without lowering walking speed so much.

True that, imagine what would have happened if more people compiled the game before Fruitiex's balance changes made it into the game. As much as I dislike his balance, the one that existed before it was a lot worse. This project for the sake of actually getting loyal players should only gain attention as improvements are made to the gameplay, else there's going to be a lot of people with a bad impression which would be absolute poison since Nexuiz became popular because of people talking about.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(03-05-2011, 12:32 PM)Samual Wrote: Personally I think your changes are a bit too slow FruitieX, it's better without lowering walking speed so much.
Exact same feeling.
Fat.bot.Slim

(03-04-2011, 06:14 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
Code:
sv_maxspeed 300
sv_maxairspeed 300
sv_airaccel_qw -0.9
sv_airspeedlimit_nonqw 650
sv_airstrafeaccel_qw -0.975

Xonotic is a free, open source (GPL) ultra-fast*, first-person shooter

*Only available when using laser all the time or on select servers

Sad

The run speed is what kills fruitphys and is the main thing that seperates his physics from the modified set I did. It also doesn't allow you to move as fast as other configs out there.

Here's the modified set I did:
Code:
// Modified from physicsFruit
sv_gravity 800
sv_maxspeed 426
sv_maxairspeed 400

sv_stopspeed 100
sv_accelerate 11
sv_airaccelerate 2
sv_friction 8
edgefriction 1
sv_stepheight 26
// Q1: 16+2
// Nex: 32+2
// we try: 24+2

// actually, what we want is 266.6666 for 180bpm
// but 260 takes same amount of frames and is nicer to mappers
sv_jumpvelocity 260
sv_wateraccelerate -1
sv_waterfriction -1
sv_airaccel_sideways_friction 0 // breaks strafing?
sv_airaccel_qw -0.8

sv_airstopaccelerate -0.95
sv_airstrafeaccelerate 24
sv_maxairstrafespeed 100
sv_airstrafeaccel_qw -0.97
sv_aircontrol 125
sv_aircontrol_penalty 150
sv_aircontrol_power 2.5
sv_airspeedlimit_nonqw 800
sv_warsowbunny_turnaccel 0
sv_warsowbunny_accel 0.1593
sv_warsowbunny_topspeed 925
sv_warsowbunny_backtosideratio 0.8
sv_friction_on_land 0
sv_doublejump 0 // TINY (1.35x normal) doublejumps only, can be disabled if wanted...
sv_jumpspeedcap_min 0 // need predicting? (it should already be in CSQC prediction code)
sv_jumpspeedcap_max ""
sv_jumpspeedcap_max_disable_on_ramps 1
g_teleport_maxspeed 0

lol quite a difference between these and the ones in fruitphys:
Code:
sv_maxspeed 426
sv_maxairspeed 400
sv_airspeedlimit_nonqw 800

Oh wait.

ok Lee, if I understand correctly, you are proposing once more the physics you already have proposed several month ago.

If so, sigh...
If not, please tell with WORDS what would be the main differences regarding the current Xonotic physics.
And not just: see, it feels much more fun.
Fat.bot.Slim

Actually I was just posting mine for comparison since people were posting cvar values. We already know what I think about them.

Since you asked for differences though:
Run speed is faster, the fall damage is pretty much the same as it was in Nexuiz (almost non-existent), the gap between running and bunnyhopping isn't as ridiculous though you can still use jump to dodge if your just running around, and I believe the jump may have been tweaked, but I forgot if I changed that or not. Almost forgot to add that there's a higher max speed that you can get.

Oh wait.

(03-07-2011, 02:37 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: sv_maxspeed 426

Edit: Derp, seems like someone has indeed ran even faster than this in real life (roughly 480 qu/s) Big Grin

Anyway I wasn't saying we should definitely go for anything as extreme as that suggestion of mine, it was really more of a demonstration of what the game also could be like.

ps. Lee, why does aircontrol fail horribly with your physics set? I can barely even slow down in midair.

(03-07-2011, 07:50 AM)FruitieX Wrote: ps. Lee, why does aircontrol fail horribly with your physics set? I can barely even slow down in midair.

I can tweak it if it's a problem, though I've personally never been a fan of too much air control.

Oh wait.

Here's another idea:
Code:
sv_maxairspeed 360
sv_maxairspeedlimit_nonqw 650

Again as a modification to the defaults. What this does is reduce your max speed without weapons a bit, without touching the ground speed. The maxairspeedlimit change essentially makes your acceleration lower a little quicker as you start to go faster. Maxairspeed 360 removes the sudden acceleration spike you get right after taking off (good unless there was a reason for it to be 400, iirc not)

Note that you still get up to crazy speeds with weapon tricks, which may be a bit worrying... Maybe a terminal velocity sort of feature should be implemented that slows you down when going really fast

Also try this: g_multijump 1
hold forward, look into a direction you want to continue with full speed and hit jump again in midair
epic, haha :p

(03-08-2011, 06:49 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Here's another idea:
Code:
sv_maxairspeed 360

Again as a modification to the defaults. What this does is reduce your max speed without weapons a bit, without touching the ground speed. The maxairspeedlimit change essentially makes your acceleration lower a little quicker as you start to go faster. Maxairspeed 360 removes the sudden acceleration spike you get right after taking off (good unless there was a reason for it to be 400, iirc not)

Note that you still get up to crazy speeds with weapon tricks, which may be a bit worrying... Maybe a terminal velocity sort of feature should be implemented that slows you down when going really fast

Also try this: g_multijump 1
hold forward, look into a direction you want to continue with full speed and hit jump again in midair
epic, haha :p

I'll take a look at that and see what it does.

Oh wait.

(03-08-2011, 06:49 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Here's another idea:
Code:
sv_maxairspeed 360

Don't.

Really... if we NOW start redoing the physics again, we'll NEVER settle on ANYTHING.

Personally, these values would be fine by me. But I can guarantee you that doing this change will set off YET another bomb in the community.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I must admit, I didn't read the topic but, if you hate the physics so much, isn't it possible to use another setting file as you play? I could be wrong though =/

(Also, I wish the community was as active in-game as it is on the forum, lol)

(03-12-2011, 04:00 PM)TheLastProject Wrote: (Also, I wish the community was as active in-game as it is on the forum, lol)

+1 Smile

Give it time, I don't expect to see a big increase in player's until a little while after 1.0 to be honest, but when I say increase I mean like a boom of players :p

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Competitive Xonotic promode (XPM2) physics Smilecythe 21 15,840 03-27-2020, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Cynical
Star Experimental Physics and Balance rainerzufalldererste 24 22,042 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste
  In-game physics testers wanted for an actual game (apply within!) kojn^ 29 29,428 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Last Post: parasti
  *NEW* EASY-TO-USE physics set from experimentation by frutiex and kojn (please read) kojn^ 39 39,008 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Last Post: kojn^