Create an account

Poll: Do you overclock any of your PC components?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
5 33.33%
No
66.67%
10 66.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you Overclock?

Just wondering if anyone else enjoys overclocking their machines. Post your specs/results Smile

Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (Stock 2.33ghz) @ 3.08ghz
6gb G.Skill DDR2-800 @ 880mhz
Nvidia 8800gt (256mb) @ Stock

On a side note: Has anyone else experienced a lower FSB/proc speed limit when running a 64-bit OS vs. a 32-bit OS? I used to run at 3.33ghz (stock voltage) in WinXP (32-bit), prime95 stable for 8+ hours. But it seems that in 64-bit Ubuntu it won't be stable any faster than 3.08ghz (no matter the voltage!) Sad

I probably could, but don't. Right now my Phenom II X4 Black does just fine running at it's stock clock of 3GHz.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Well, I could overclock from 2.8GHz to 3, but my Athlon x4 is doing well.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

ArchLinux (32 bit)
Intel Atom @ 1.60ghz
2gb NoClue ProbablyDDR2 @ WhoKnowsmhz
Intel Integrated Graphics Craptroller @ 15fps on "low"

:(

If it's not memory, yes. Anything categorized under memory is not over-clockable in my book. There is no easy way to get the core temperature of it, and no reference cutoff point, but Processor/Core OCing? Oh yeah! But not recently, I'm just running stock. Sad

Lee_Stricklin Wrote:I probably could, but don't. Right now my Phenom II X4 Black does just fine running at it's stock clock of 3GHz.

+1. I think my chip should be running at 2.8ghz but my OS and BIOS reports it as running at 3333mhz. I think that might be the AMD equivalent of speedstep kicking in, but I'm not sure Confused

Either way, I'm not willing to perform any more than a modest over clock a six core chip with stock air Tongue
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Had an Athlon 3000+ that overclocked quite nicely even with just air cooling. Can't remember what I got it up to, but it was way above stock.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

The last thing i overclocked was my old Pentium. i don't remember the specs, accurately. Stock was what, 160 MHz? 64MB RAM and whopping 4 GB of harddisk space (my current cell phone has 8....). i think i had it running solidly at ~192 MHz.
4m038105 - Be the change.

When i know i will need the extra ompth (long renders and such), i push my cpu from 3.3 to 4.5ghz. Im usually running in powersave of 1.6 instead tough, as the chip is plenty fast enough for browsers, code & other every day stuff that way.

Max OC i got stable (granted i dident try to hard)
intel i5 2500k 3.3 -> 4.6
a-data 1600mhz ddr3 (no oc)
9800gt 512mb @ some factory oc.

I don't overclock. I have a history of breaking working stuff so, as long as it works, I'd rather not touch it. Especially because my last graphic card died of overheating I'd rather stay far away from this "overclocking" business.

Heart 
(03-09-2011, 10:39 PM)JayWalker Wrote: On a side note: Has anyone else experienced a lower FSB/proc speed limit when running a 64-bit OS vs. a 32-bit OS? I used to run at 3.33ghz (stock voltage) in WinXP (32-bit), prime95 stable for 8+ hours. But it seems that in 64-bit Ubuntu it won't be stable any faster than 3.08ghz (no matter the voltage!) Sad
This is possible. Let's say there are parts of the chip that are used for 64-bit instructions. With 32-bit code they're not needed so don't show the instability. With 64-bit code these parts of the chip can't take it.

Similar thing was seen with gracphics cards when Doom 3 came out. It used silicon which had never been used before and a very small number of people found instability with previously stable settings.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Q8400@3.2Ghz (2.66 stock)
On air cooling
I reached 3.6 with a E6750 with the same board (Asus P5N-e sli)
I'm getting trouble overclocking this quad core chip however... at least it works, it's not reported in the board's supported CPU's list.
And after all, a 3.2Ghz C2Q is not that bad!
Thanks to the devs!
PM me if you need something... I'll be happy to help for any translation work needed...

I have overclocked my desktop computer's Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 from 2,66GHz to 3,03GHz. Bigger clocks seemed to cause unstable system (I had 3,6 GHz, it ran fine until I started to play games). Even 3,1GHz seemed to be unstable when I was playing newest games with max graphics.

i over clocked my 36k modem

now 37

:^

(03-13-2011, 03:29 AM)Exitium Wrote: I have overclocked my desktop computer's Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 from 2,66GHz to 3,03GHz. Bigger clocks seemed to cause unstable system (I had 3,6 GHz, it ran fine until I started to play games). Even 3,1GHz seemed to be unstable when I was playing newest games with max graphics.

Do you know how to use Prime95 to check system stability? (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) You want to run a torture test (the max heat/power consumption one) for a number of hours (at LEAST 2, preferably 8+), and if you make it through without any errors your system can be considered stable for day-to-day work. This will also force your CPU to heat up to it's maximum, so make sure you check that your overclock isn't causing the processor to overheat (which can also cause instability).

(03-13-2011, 03:52 AM)chooksta Wrote: i over clocked my 36k modem

now 37

:^

i almost fried my 26 kBd mo/dem by plugging in the wrong power source and it became lightning fast for some reason!
4m038105 - Be the change.

lol!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You know you've played too much Xonotic when... [AP]Sniperz 45 42,343 10-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  You'll thank me when you read click on this thread...trust me .Danny. 20 26,502 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  what would you do if you were in my situation with this laptop jacob 13 11,158 02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post: tZork