Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Ideas for Xonotic website to get more social

There are some things Warsow team have made really nicely, I think it would be ok to port some ideas to Xonotic:
  • IRC chat available on the game's site.
  • counter of registered/logged in/playing people changing live on the site

This also leads me to something that was discussed before, and idea taken from TrackMania Nations:
  • Registered users can assign themselves a country (or even a city) they want to represent (live in?)
  • Countries are competing together in a global ranking, as players gain points from played matches to support their country with them

What do you think of theese10 KiB/s?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Nice things.

What about a simple serverlist like this?
http://planetnexuiz.de/serverlist.html

I think the webpage server listing is a very good idea.

I'd still like to see servers get some kind of voice chat. I know teamspeak has a little web applet thing that shows whos on a server. I need to be able to shout at my team and tell them they are incompetent boobs Tongue

The competition per country is good too.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Absolutely yes to all but one of those ideas --

I like the idea of "showing count of active players" and such - but we shouldn't do that until after a release I think, mainly because showing that counter when you don't have many players/are in testing is quite a bad thing Tongue

(03-31-2011, 09:34 AM)Samual Wrote: I like the idea of "showing count of active players" and such - but we shouldn't do that until after a release I think, mainly because showing that counter when you don't have many players/are in testing is quite a bad thing Tongue

Yeah, right now it would be propably mainly 0~5 Tongue

Servers list? Good idea Smile You can easily set up a game with friends Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Mirio Wrote:What about a simple serverlist like this?

Like this?

I really like the idea of having indirect country/city based competition, perhaps even using real countries. This would mean that nations could compete with each other over long distance without worrying about ping. Maybe have a ladder on the main page for "points earned this week", etc, etc.This contains some useful ideas as well, like having a list of most active players, players who scored the most points, and so on.

Shoutboxes are also cool Big Grin

Sepelio Wrote:I need to be able to shout at my team and tell them they are incompetent boobs

Freudian slip? Wink
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(04-01-2011, 01:35 AM)clanclanclan Wrote:
Mirio Wrote:What about a simple serverlist like this?

Like this?

Well, more like my example. Tongue Its much easier to use. Also it would show all servers instead of the link you proposed. The most popular EU server is not listed there although its public.

No registering please. That's why I'm here. That's why I picked Nexuiz over all the other open source games. You can download, open and start playing. And frankly, there's a lot of people on the internet who are paranoid about giving out their email address (rightly so).

(04-01-2011, 03:24 PM)nowego4 Wrote: No registering please. That's why I'm here. That's why I picked Nexuiz over all the other open source games. You can download, open and start playing. And frankly, there's a lot of people on the internet who are paranoid about giving out their email address (rightly so).

W/e. I think we should do more than that, heck we should link xonotic with fb and twitter. We should add a "tweet" command or a "fb_post" command that lets you post on twitter of facebook while playing ^______^

Lol, actually this was thing I thought about when reading about registering for a certain place, "Make me ragequit eh, I'll find you irl and fucking kill you!!!!"...literally O.o.

Well, as long as it's optional, then it's ok. I think it's okay to include it for those who'd like to "represent", etc, but for those of us who care about personal privacy we can opt out.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

I'd rather have those who want to disclose all that and register everywhere to opt-in than me to need opt-out, but I can live with both solutions.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I think you've made a little off-topic Smile

Of course registering and tracking player's stats can be. But ONLY optional. Download, unzip, run and play. If you want - log-in somewhere in-between to track your stats.

But hey! I wanted to talk about making Xonotic site more reflecting what's happening in the game Smile

I agree, any stat tracking should be opt-in. I'm all for the idea though, I remember a while ago someone suggested we add an achievement system as well which could be neat.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Eh, opt-out, opt-in, whatever. I think more people lie in the middle on this, there are only a small fringe who are so overly caring about privacy, similar there are a fringe who want to tell the world everything about them. I personally feel like I shouldn't impose my personal concerns for privacy on everyone else which I see as harsh as them imposing their concerns for socializing on me.

Anyway, I think having a site that can reflect and connect better with the community is great, and I'd probably commit somewhat to it not because I want everyone to know who I am, but because I personally feeling like committing to this community.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

(04-07-2011, 09:40 AM)unfa Wrote: I think you've made a little off-topic Smile

Of course registering and tracking player's stats can be. But ONLY optional. Download, unzip, run and play. If you want - log-in somewhere in-between to track your stats.

But hey! I wanted to talk about making Xonotic site more reflecting what's happening in the game Smile

Somewhat Steam-esque, where beside each player's username, it says either "Offline", "Online", or "Playing [mapname]"? It would also be nice to have some sort of real-time server list panel in the sidebar of the homepage... Undecided That would be pretty useful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [QoL] Disable hearing your own SFXs so you can focus more on what matters lerh050 0 631 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lerh050
  [SUGGESTION] HTTPS by default for website falco 3 2,970 02-26-2018, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Making Vanilla more enjoyable for Newbies Halogene 66 36,598 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,419 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,142 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,069 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
  [SUGGESTION] need more sunny maps like Solarium zwz 15 14,446 10-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: improvements that don't sacrifice gameplay lamefun 24 26,607 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Drauts
Sad [SUGGESTION] There should be more improvement (should be added yet) Eonman 5 4,882 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
Brick [SUGGESTION] Xonstat - additional stats in stats for more stats rad dj flimflam 3 4,398 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Antibody