Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Xonotic Balance Test Release

@ Fruitiex
Most people have three buttons though. The third button could easily be used for scope by most people AND 5 button mice are extremely common as well. Hell you can pick them up for like $15-$20 USD now.

My config (I use a Razer Lachesis). Before I upgraded to a five button mouse (overrated MX518, didn't like it and then switched to my current mouse), I used to bind my grapple hook to z back when I was REALLY into grapple hook CTF in 2.4 and bound zoom to the middle button.

Mouse 1- Fire
Mouse 2- Secondary Fire
Mouse 3 (middle mouse button)- NOTHING
Mouse 4 (rear thumb button)- Grapple hook/Jetpack
Mouse 5 (forward thumb button)- Zoom
Mouse wheel up- NOTHING
Mouse wheel down- NOTHING
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Just to note, no need to add reload to other weapons when they already are completely fine, it's not going to happen anyway but let's just concentrate on the testing weekend, it's to choose a .cfg not to choose settings.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Samual Wrote:You greatly misunderstood that cvar, nowego4 -- the 50 damage for headshots is ADDED damage, so it's actually 110 (60 normal PLUS 50 headshot) damage in total. And as for the health/armor models, we can easily improve the textures and scale them properly later. Some other people have noted the same thing, so i'll keep it in mind and see if there's any way we can improve them in such ways.

I have no idea what to do with the minelayer. ;3

Ok ty that clears things up a great deal.

Lee_Stricklin Wrote:I disagree with moving reload to the secondary of ANY weapon...
Why? (besides using no crosshair)

I don't have a problem with weapons needing to be reloaded (even without the ammo on the HUD, it's still easy to judge things), what I do have a problem with is moving something that can already be bound to a key to a spot where an actual secondary fire can exist. The only weapon I can picture having absolutely no secondary is the nex.

Oh wait.

(04-17-2011, 05:04 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: The only weapon I can picture having absolutely no secondary is the nex.

Indeed, and also I can't picture the need of a zoom button on another weapon than the Nex. Combining this with the zoom button discussions above, I don't see the need for a separate +zoom button when the Nex secondary can do this. (and the sniper rifle is supposed to be removed with the switch to balanceSamual.cfg)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

It's just a given that you can zoom at any time, FruitieX - If we don't have a +zoom button for it, people will just make scripts for it.

I actually especially like using zoom when I'm using the rocketlauncher at long range, for example.

(04-17-2011, 06:06 PM)FruitieX Wrote: I don't see the need for a separate +zoom button when the Nex secondary can do this.

Are you going to replace minsta secondary with zoom too?

I updated the torrent file to include a tracker since I'm behind a NAT, anyone who has tried using the torrent is advised to redownload the torrent file so the tracker can be added (your progress in downloading the release wont be lost) or to manually add "udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce".

@Smilecythe: I'm fairly certain they go in (Game Folder)>Data since the other maps are stored in there. (I've never downloaded a map before)
Edit: Took a look around (lmgtfy), the recommended way to go about this is to add them to "~/.xonotic/data/maps". http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1385

(04-18-2011, 12:24 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: Which folder do I extract the maps?

EDITED

Extract the maps in:

Linux
home/.xonotic/data

Windows
My Games/xonotic/data

Oh wait.

Oops, I thought it was a pk3. *smacks self in head*

Oh wait.

This map pack got a readme file btw. Tongue

This is just my preliminary thoughts from what i have notices play testing.

Lightning gun - The new version of the weapon is like a slow moving rail gun. I found that the old version of the weapon was more useful. The newer version was nice, but it shared to much in common with other weapons. So as soon as i grabbed another weapon, i usually did not use the new version as much. I found i had a lot more use for the old lightning style gun.

Crylink - Well the alt fire is better, it makes me actually use the weapon instead of avoiding it. Over all im just not super fond of this weapon for some reason. The model for it is one of the best in the game. But hitting someone 4 times with the primary to kill them, just makes me think there are better alternatives, like melee with the shotgun, or shooting them with another weapon.

Rocket Launcher - I like the old balance more. I found that the more responsive rockets make controlling them part of close in fighting. This is a neat feature, but i would prefer you had to do some target prediction. It adds a fun bit of skill to the game. With the Samuel rockets you just click hold and follow them. I think making rockets controllable at a distance is good so they remain useful but making controlling them useful at mid to close takes something away from the game.

As for Crylink primary, did you notice that the bullets have a rather narrow spread as long as you hold the fire button? Once you release the primary fire button they inverse their spread, traversing one single point and from there spreading very widely. The trick is now to time the release of the primary fire button so the particles all actually meet where your opponent is. If you happen to succeed, this is very rewarding.

I find that highly challenging and fun.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Actually rocket launcher is much harder to use now in-game, it might just be placebo effect for me but airshots have become very very rare since the last release.

Electro is good enough, while you can't do air combos anymore some parts of this new functionality is really great, as far as i know there will be a lightning gun as well as the current version of the weapon.
#deathmatchers

(04-18-2011, 11:54 PM)TickleMeElmo Wrote: Lightning gun - The new version of the weapon is like a slow moving rail gun. I found that the old version of the weapon was more useful. The newer version was nice, but it shared to much in common with other weapons. So as soon as i grabbed another weapon, i usually did not use the new version as much. I found i had a lot more use for the old lightning style gun.

This is the old Electro from Nexuiz, cause a lot of people wanted it back. The trick is to use the secondary first and then you shoot the primary to explode the balls (high damage ~ "Electro combo"). There will be a separate Lightning Gun.

Quote:Crylink - Well the alt fire is better, it makes me actually use the weapon instead of avoiding it. Over all im just not super fond of this weapon for some reason. The model for it is one of the best in the game. But hitting someone 4 times with the primary to kill them, just makes me think there are better alternatives, like melee with the shotgun, or shooting them with another weapon.

I like the current Crylink very much. Smile Halogene explained pretty good how it works. Somehow funny that you like the model, cause its one of the models oldest (I even think its THE oldest).

Quote:Rocket Launcher - I like the old balance more. I found that the more responsive rockets make controlling them part of close in fighting. This is a neat feature, but i would prefer you had to do some target prediction. It adds a fun bit of skill to the game. With the Samuel rockets you just click hold and follow them. I think making rockets controllable at a distance is good so they remain useful but making controlling them useful at mid to close takes something away from the game.

This again is more Nexuiz-like. To move a rocket was so fucked up in the 0.1 balance that you either could remove it completely or making it kind of useful like now.

(04-19-2011, 05:45 AM)Mirio Wrote: [...]or making it kind of useful like now.

[Image: fuuu.png]

Mirio said every single point I was going to say except one:

The rocketlauncher actually is quite difficult to use now compared to default Xonotic, it requires some skill with guiding -- The prediction is still there too, but also more for other weapons now. I mainly accomplished this via lowering the radius of the explosion while also increasing the guiderate - Another thing is that my rockets have a rather huge difference in power if you get a direct hit versus if you get splash damage. (Cut in half)

I actually find I miss a ton with the rocket launcher close up, it's like I hit the ground way too fire in front of them even though i'm aiming at there feet!! Will need to work on it!

Good post Mirio.

How would I go about selecting which balance config to use for my server? Am I right in assuming that it is a command to enter in the xonotic terminal?

(BTW: I finally have my server up and running, as well as a crude website for it, which sooner or later, will look much better and have a live game monitor on it)
[Image: b_560x95.png]

(04-20-2011, 08:45 PM)greasem0nkey Wrote: How would I go about selecting which balance config to use for my server? Am I right in assuming that it is a command to enter in the xonotic terminal?

Console command for Samual's:
Code:
exec balanceSamual.cfg
Or on the developer release you can hit F7.

I'm back from vacation... now it's time to set shit up and get this thing rolling.

Gotta take care of some work tomorrow, but Wednesday and Thursday i'm going to hammer away the setup for the servers+ take care of anything else needed before the event.

keep tha rocket like it was in nexuiz

seriously , it takes a good amount of skill to do it , and that should be rewarded.

dont make it boring , making stuff boring is just boring.

rocket fly wasnt boring , so if ya want the masses to play the new game , then reconsider.

btw , ya cant rocket fly in new game , i dont care what the l33t nerds say , ya simply cant.

t

:^

Yes you can rocketfly now shut up chooks Tongue

Hopefully the weekend goes smoothly as possible and to plan guys.

Finally got around into making a DSX out of this release, thought I should link to the thread here: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1427

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Xonotic 0.8.2 Release Overview Antibody 8 10,819 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Last Post: zwz
  Balance changes in progress for "0.2" tZork 67 81,526 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Last Post: mepper[NoSkillsOnlyLuck]