Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi. Ok, so how do I get started?

Hello.. My name is The Law. I am from the United States. I really like the idea of Quake style open source FPS, even though I have never been good at Quake. How do I get started? Is there an article about the list of useful binds, strategy tips, servers, etc? I just logged into a Nexuiz server and spec'ed, and the level of game play seems to be pretty intimidating. Thanks!

Welcome. Wink
There is a Xonotic Movement Tutorial! Smile

Hiii! Welcome to the community! Wink
E=mc ^ 2 only applies to rest bodies. The one we should be using is E=mc^2 √1 - v^2/c^2 Smile

Welcome to Xonotic! Smile

First of all, you'll want to download either the 0.1 preview version (the latest official release) or the balance test release (more up to date but probably not 100% bug free) There's also going to be a testing event from April 29th to May 1st, so you might be able to pick up some tips then.

Unfortunately there's not much documentation for Xonotic. You mind find some useful info in the development wiki, but a lot of the articles there are incomplete.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Welcome to Xonotic The Law! Always nice to see another member of community!

Hello. Brush your teeth. Just brush them. At least twice a day. If they could speak, they would say 'thank you' for sure. Belive me.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Welcome and enjoy your stay.
Specing is indeed the best way you have to learn fast. And, of course, don't hesitate to ask.
You also may start playing xonotic without playing nexuiz, since some significant aspects are rather different.

And don't trust kuniu the frogg.
He's a frog.
He then doesn't have teeth .
He then doesn't know what he is talking about.
Fat.bot.Slim

If you need tips about particular things, just ask players in the game or in the forum, they will help you!

And the best way to learn is first a bit spectating, and then just practice, a lot of practice.

Anyway, welcome!

For keyboard layout I recommend to get used immediately to shifting your movement keys from default "wasd" at least one key to the right to "esdf", so you can place more weapon binds around your movement keys. You NEED to configure weapon binds, as weapon combos are an integral part of the game and you can't do that by switching weapons with the mouse wheel.

For team games, it's useful to set up some communication binds, like "Enemy seen" or "I see the flaahaag". The most important ones I put on my mouse buttons (apart from left and right button of course), but that's just a matter of taste. I found it useful not to have to move a finger to trigger communication binds that I also need for moving/weapon switching.

For getting more into the game spec players that seem to play good and ask for tips - most of the community members are nice and will take the time to show you stuff. Be sure to watch the movement tutorial, and try to gain speed and to move efficiently in empty maps (you can configure your own local server for that purpose via the "create" tab in the menu).

Have fun and welcome to the game!

Oh, and though frogs may not have teeth, they still may know what they talk about. So don't simply disregard kuniu's advices Tongue
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Oh, ehhh, upgrade your field of view. It normally is 90, but you can best do it to 130. You just see it under player setup. (You can also type: fov 130 in the console.)

Fov 130 works much better.

heh FOV 130 is quite extreme, i'm not sure it's good idea to start with such high value, i know some very good players, for whom 110 is perfectly enough. So maybe it's better to change it step by step, to find the value which makes you feel comfortable. The same situation as with mouse sensitivity.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Agree, I used that technique and am at 119 currently, where I feel very comfortable for using hitscan weapons on long range as well as seeing what's happening around me.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

For example: I can't strafe well when I have set more then 100 field view (XPM server). Mabye its a matter of fact I have already got used to the lower.
And on other modes: 130 is still too high value, cause it's harder to aim also it's easier to loose contol. I suggest leaving it be (default is 90).
"at least one key to the right to "esdf"" - +1 for this idea, Halogene. Quite usefull when You want to bind more then 2 weapons. But personally I couldn't get used to it now, after playing so long time with old "wsad"

100 posts! YAY

Justin, I switched to ewdr after so many years of wasd. Took me three weeks.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

it seems like edsf would make more sense, unless your keyboard is upside down.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

No, I just like my fingers to be on one row. asdf-jkl; to type, hjkl for vim. qwer for Xonotic.
- microsoft windows

Hi, ive got some cyrillic name Big Grin where youve been living before USA ? Big Grin
"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try" Joda , Starwars

I have been busy to rear all the replies until now. Sorry.

I will experiement with esdf key bindings. However, I have been playing other games with wasd for a while now. I'll definitely need to think of the best way to make custom binds to switch between weapons and also the laser. To get started, is there an easy way to make a bind for a key so that when I press this key, my weapon switches to laser, and if I press it again, my weapon switches to the last used weapon?
(04-26-2011, 05:34 AM)_-=MealstroM=-_ Wrote: Hi, ive got some cyrillic name Big Grin where youve been living before USA ? Big Grin

I was born in Russia, in Vladikavkaz. I have seen a picture of a car license plate in USA that said 3AKOH. I thought it was ridiculously funny, and remembered it..

You may be interested in this thread: http://forums.xonotic.org//showthread.php?tid=1877
- microsoft windows

Practice movement. Watch the Xonotic movement tut, and create a game with no bots where you can practice until you get it down pat.

Xonotic requires much mental stamina, so get some sleep and a Red Bull before playing if you want to be at your best.
My will be done.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's get ready to rumble DEFENSE^^ 5 3,729 02-25-2018, 06:14 PM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Hi i just started playing and _exclusive 12 7,995 08-29-2014, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  Getting back in to PC gaming and started playing mute86 3 3,838 03-10-2014, 07:15 AM
Last Post: DauX
  Where can I get one these cool xonotic signatures where my stats are displayed? R+e^i 4 4,982 12-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Last Post: R+e^i