Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Random thoughts

surfaces, might add some new tactical "options"
Ice/slippery surface - if you land on it with some speed it will give you nice inertia
swamp - you move slower, you are slowly pulled down (death)
spikes - harmless, but if you hit it with some speed you will gibbed

mutators
Nexuiz physics/weapons - to make people to switch to xonotic

(04-20-2011, 10:38 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: Nexuiz physics/weapons - to make people to switch to xonotic

Already in, and it doesn't (and won't) work.

Ice/slippery surface idea pwns. +1 for this breinwaves, frostwyrm333. Usually slippery ground surrounds important items, like mega or nex or cells in minstagib maps... I ve seen it in Quake and I will be happy to see it enable in Xonotic too. Other thing which should be enabled is OB and rocket jumps. The idea of rocket speed is logical (rocket speed +Your speed when shooting) BUT it doesn't let You make more then 2xRJ. Also I admit that this feature would bring us another players (tricking mode with normal rocket speed without adding shooter speed into it)

I would like a "nogib" feature which would disable bodies and gibs. It is annoying to kill someone and then blow yourself up with the RL because it hit the body. I imagine this feature would be used for competitive tourneys and the like. Possibly it would just render the puff you get when you overkill someone every time.

(04-20-2011, 01:06 PM)nowego4 Wrote: I would like a "nogib" feature which would disable bodies and gibs. It is annoying to kill someone and then blow yourself up with the RL because it hit the body. I imagine this feature would be used for competitive tourneys and the like. Possibly it would just render the puff you get when you overkill someone every time.

I always found that annoying as well, in my opinion weapons fire should simply go through bodies and gibs as if they aren't there and only splash damage should effect them. Might look a little weird at times if you manage to get a game that's comparable to a snail race, but most of the time it wouldn't be noticeable.

Speaking of gibs, I find that the current ones aint the most pretty thing to look at when they're not flying, so I always thought that the default time on them should be something really low like 2 seconds or something, just long enough to acknowledge that you've seriously wrecked someone, but not long enough for you to get a good look at the details on them. Doing that would also de-clutter the game quite a bit.

Now for something not gib-related. Xonotic actually has decal fading and model LOD, but doesn't seem to be used by default. I always tweaked those in my configurations to improve the look and performance of the game. In my opinion the decal time before fade should be set to 1 while the decal time slider should instead be tied to the decal fade time, that way the decals disappear in a much more subtle fashion. The model LOD is good for speeding things up and should be set by default in my opinion as well, as it will reduce the detail on player models depending on what distance they're at. Speaking of decals, I find that they are much more visible at long distances than particles which in my opinion are unnoticeable past 700. In my opinion it should be possible to tweak those further through the GUI.

Last but not least, lightmap and texture memory usage. By default, the Xonotic install I have is set to allow the lightmaps to use up to 1 GB (1024 MB) of memory for lightmaps and 2GB (2048) of memory for textures. I went in and tweaked it to be the other way around so that the lightmaps get 2GB and the textures get 1GB and when I did so a TON of sudden slow-down was removed. I think by default the lightmaps should be set to use more memory than the textures.

CVARS of interest, find these in the advanced settings with my settings applied (be careful with the lightmapsize! and read the descriptions before tweaking!):

gl_max_lightmapsize 2048
gl_max_size 1024

cl_decals_fadetime 40
cl_decals_time 1
cl_decals_max 300
r_drawdecals_drawdistance 3000

cl_gibs_lifetime 3
cl_gibs_maxcount 30

cl_playerdetailreduction 5

Hardware this was tweaked for:
CPU: AM2+ AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.0 GHz
GPU: PCIE 2.0 Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX, 256 bit, GDDR3, 1 GB VRAM
RAM: 4 GB (2 X 2GB) DDR2 1066 MHz in dual channel
Video resolution: 2048 X 1536 @75 Hz
Frames per second: capped at 64, rarely drops below 46 (electro spam typically causes it)
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] What are your thoughts on wallclipping? Smilecythe 20 15,543 01-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Two issues I want some thoughts on Smilecythe 5 6,525 09-26-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Pseudo-random faces. RedGuff 1 3,102 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] random hagar idea frostwyrm333 7 7,540 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  [SUGGESTION] Thoughts and ideas regarding ELO stdi 2 4,945 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Couple of thoughts from newcomer Majki 19 11,234 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Majki
  [SUGGESTION] Some thoughts of mine on Xonotic Celroc 5 6,174 06-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Last Post: naryl
  [SUGGESTION] art style "your thoughts" mr green 1 3,323 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Last Post: mand1nga
  [SUGGESTION] Random Procedural Level Generation master[mind] 39 39,137 03-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Erusavion