Create an account

Poll: New voting system for Xonotic?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes - I love it!
69.23%
9 69.23%
No - Stupid and useless
15.38%
2 15.38%
Yes, but with changes
7.69%
1 7.69%
Maybe / I don't care
7.69%
1 7.69%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Ability to vote map, gametype and mutators after each map

Heya, I've been thinking this feature for a while, but I wasn't sure how it would work in action so I didnt't share this idea. However, now I've got some ideas and therefore I would like to see this kind of feature in Xonotic...

People have said, that Nexuiz used to suffer from the fact, that most of the servers were DM/TDM/CTF servers and actually no-one played other gametypes, which is a pity. Therefore I was thinking that if it's possible to make a new vote system after each map, where you can vote for a new map AND a new gametype (for example, the last game was DM and now you want some Keyhunt-action) and even mutators (the last game had none, but now you want for example relics to enhance the action).

The reason why I didn't share this idea ages ago, was that I wasn't sure how this could work. For example, a few years ago I used to play CoD2 on a modded server and there was this kind of voting system. It was damn nice, but actually it just generated randomly map and gametype combinations and put those available. Therefore most of the maps weren't voteable and some of the maps were just for CTF, for example. In addition, Xonotic have so much mutators so this kind of system could be just a mess.

However, when I played Red Eclipse, I found out that there is a voting system which works. After each map, everyone can make a new vote option by clicking the right map, gametype and mutators and other can vote for it or make own vote option. Map-gametype-mutator combination which had most votes wins and next map is played with those rules. Simple but beautiful. I was thinking, that if this kind of feature could exist in Xonotic and most of the players can also play other gametypes than CTF and DM - if they wish. Of course server admin can limit this voting system by disabling it overall or disabling some of the mutators, maps or gametypes.

What do you think? Would you like to see this kind of thing in Xonotic?

No, I don't really think that's a good idea. It will confuse players too much and take a lot of time.

This is already in ufb/thebadasschoobs server in Nexuiz (only no mutators voting) and I don't really like it, confusing, and noobs always like voting on things I don't like.

I would like to see this implemented for at least gamemodes, for instance so that each map is prefixed with a randomly selected gamemode that the map supports. An example map vote screen would then look like this:
1. dm_stormkeep
2. ctf_dance
3. dm_xoylent
4. kh_runningman
5. tdm_stormkeep (if we allow the same map to show up multiple times, but with different gamemodes)
6. dm_aggressor
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

FruitieX, why limit to six randomly-chosen modes_maps?

Mepper, Red Eclipse has it as the only voting mode and somehow nobody is confused.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(04-22-2011, 07:39 AM)Mepper Wrote: No, I don't really think that's a good idea. It will confuse players too much and take a lot of time.

This is already in ufb/thebadasschoobs server in Nexuiz (only no mutators voting) and I don't really like it, confusing, and noobs always like voting on things I don't like.

Let's not make it confusing, but clean and simple to use?

Problem solved.

And, of course some servers can disable/limit this vote system so there could be only DM-servers etc. if admins want it. As I said in the first post.

Edit: The best way to test my suggestion in action is to play Red Eclipse. RE's voting system is a bit buggy, but it works. Feel free to test it.

Red Eclipse's voting system is kinda nice because it does allow for other game types to be played but with all the game types they had and maps it took a while to set up a vote in time, if it was narrowed/simplified for Xonotic it would be a nice addition imo.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

(04-22-2011, 07:39 AM)Mepper Wrote: No, I don't really think that's a good idea. It will confuse players too much and take a lot of time.

This is already in ufb/thebadasschoobs server in Nexuiz (only no mutators voting) and I don't really like it, confusing....

WTF. After each map, you simply get to choose a gametype out of six available options, with an accurate description for each. How is THAT confusing? If that is confusing, I don't know what isn't.

Quote:and noobs always like voting on things I don't like.

So basically, your point is "BAWW! Stop liking things I hate!". I heard this shit so much from Freezetag haters like you that you have no idea how sick I am of it. Just so you know, when we introduced the Freezetag port which you dislike so much (WITHOUT gametype vote), people were playing ONLY and ONLY that. The gametype vote was not "confusing" for anyone, it added some variation, which is good: instead of playing Freezetag for the whole time, people actually DO play some CTF, KH, VIP and sometimes even TotDOM. Before the gametype vote, they didn't even know such options existed through vcalls, and "vhelp" wouldn't help either since it doesn't explain each gametype, and barely anyone actually uses it.

I'm not sure gamemode voting at each new games would be accepted by a lot of players.
Or at least, not on every servers.
There are some players who play only ctf or only minsta.
For those, no doubt they won't play on such gamemode voting server.
Fat.bot.Slim

(04-24-2011, 04:51 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: I'm not sure gamemode voting at each new games would be accepted by a lot of players.
Or at least, not on every servers.
There are some players who play only ctf or only minsta.
For those, no doubt they won't play on such gamemode voting server.

That's why it's supposed to be optional.

Obviously we're going to attempt something like this when some developer gets some free time (there's more important stuff to do right now) -- but,

I see only a few flaws with this... Mainly: People usually only play the same ~2 or 3 configurations on Red Eclipse servers, and it gets pretty damn old having such weird mutators on like that. I think if we had the same system, we'd suffer the same fate. Also: It would technically make the server "impure" and "pure" automatically if such a thing were allowed, which rather isn't a good thing.

I really don't think implementing such a thing is much more useful than a normal voting window/menu of sorts, so personally it's not worth it past that.

Badabing-badaboom: make it *small*!
What i mean is there could be a small inconspicuous little panel of sorts on the top or bottom edge of the screen that allows calling a game mode change.

i want this kind of voting system, because the versatility of the game becomes redundant, otherwise. Servers that have static settings are bound to have periods of where the server is not in use, because of high ping for people located far away from the server and because of the game mode that one has to be in the mood for.

Quote:| Game mode: CTF - - call Settings menu? (yes/no) - - Time played: 4:00 min - - stuff - - 127 maps on server - - other stuff |
4m038105 - Be the change.

Actually one idea could be a step-by-step vote process at the end of a match. Instead of only selecting the map, you could first select a game type, then select a map, then select (a) mutator(s). Order may be subject to change.

That keeps it simple while also giving the same options. No need for an extra menu+

(04-25-2011, 09:38 PM)Samual Wrote: Actually one idea could be a step-by-step vote process at the end of a match. Instead of only selecting the map, you could first select a game type, then select a map, then select (a) mutator(s). Order may be subject to change.

That keeps it simple while also giving the same options. No need for an extra menu+

That's exactly what I've done in RM/on UFB, except the map vote comes first and there is no mutator vote. So far it seems to work, mepper's complaint is the only one I ever heard since it was added.

i loved it, but i do see Meppers point. Hence my proposal to make additional vote menues optional, not mandatory.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Turning LMS and CA into mutators MirceaKitsune 19 14,294 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to adjust the size of the flares in the Low settings Shadowman84 2 4,304 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] Preview with map vote vehemoth 2 3,725 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Last Post: rocknroll237
Star [SUGGESTION] New GAMETYPE! INVASION! rainerzufalldererste 58 63,471 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Sarge999
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,270 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] Assault - who wants, and who can map? kojn^ 18 12,980 09-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Last Post: kojn^
  [SUGGESTION] New gametype: ClanArena (CA) Debugger 8 7,665 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] vote for this minsta changes XV22 19 22,158 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Beefeater
  [SUGGESTION] Gametype idea (no name yet) hellmind 8 9,823 05-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Last Post: hellmind
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to change votes in game Erusavion 36 40,777 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Erusavion