Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
[SUGGESTION] "Situation" maps

Wait am I posting this in the wrong section...

Anyways, I was reading that inspiration for map thread thing, and there are like tons of images which we can not actually choose from to start with (at least, I think).

So instead of having loads of maps that share ridiculous similarities, can we just turn the map into a bit of a "situation"?

For exp : a "situation" map for G-23 docking station map could be something like having an enormous spacecraft outside, which we can of course enter it. Then some gates can be sealed and some originally closed ones can be opened.

For exp: a "situation" map for above could be having thunderbolt in the sky and having constantly moving solids (not vehicles) which has a hole and allows us to sit on and snipe people. Then we can have a bridge thing slightly tilted.

And yup

Seriously tell me if it's just another foolish idea.
E=mc ^ 2 only applies to rest bodies. The one we should be using is E=mc^2 √1 - v^2/c^2 Smile

(05-05-2011, 09:44 AM)emrys merlin Wrote: Seriously tell me if it's just another foolish idea.
with great pleasure Smile

The way you describe it, its pretty similar to assault
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(05-05-2011, 10:08 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(05-05-2011, 09:44 AM)emrys merlin Wrote: Seriously tell me if it's just another foolish idea.
with great pleasure Smile

The way you describe it, its pretty similar to assault

Noooo wait how?
Assault is like destroying stuff in the stage, this one is like... changing the map's weather, paths and stuff but it doesn't let you destroy stuff. Assault doesn't call a battleship to a map right?
E=mc ^ 2 only applies to rest bodies. The one we should be using is E=mc^2 √1 - v^2/c^2 Smile

I think he's suggesting that maps should have some sort of 'back story' to them. Either that or there should be more dynamic/interactive stuff in maps.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(05-05-2011, 10:31 AM)ThePWTULN Wrote: I think he's suggesting that maps should have some sort of 'back story' to them. Either that or there should be more dynamic/interactive stuff in maps.

YEA finally someone who understands my great *cough* vision.

(05-05-2011, 10:14 AM)emrys merlin Wrote: Assault is like destroying stuff in the stage, this one is like... changing the map's weather, paths and stuff but it doesn't let you destroy stuff. Assault doesn't call a battleship to a map right?

its not only about destroying stuff.

-reach destination A, so you can continue from there
-destroy gate or building, so you can move further
-variation of above: reconfigure computer, activate system, so you can move on a bridge, open up a door, etc.
-reconfigure computers, so automatic turrets will fight on your side
-variation of above: destroy something, so turrets/lasers will turn off
-disable jumppads, doors, so you can cut off enemy reinforcement
-crack into a warehouse, so you get explosive/energy based weapons, with you can take down an energy shield

im not sure if the level of 'dynamic' environment you describe is possible .
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I think I see what merlin is getting at.

I had this crazy idea for a DM map where the map fills with lava from the bottom up, causing all the paths the player takes to change. Of course once it fills to a point it goes back down again. More powerful weapons/items would be placed nearer the bottom of the map with the lava. Whole thing takes place inside a mine/volcano of sorts.

For assault I wanted to do an assault ship thats clamped onto the side of a space station thats under attack. The team has to cut through the hull then reach various objectives etc.
I wanted to have triggered hull breaches for that and also pre placed ones. ie player shoots wall -> hole appears -> player blown into space before a force field can close the hole. Defenders can also blow out a cargo hold that the attackers have to pass through and so forth.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

I had an idea once. An assault map which had an optional objective of powering up your ship in order to take it above all the turrets and straight to the defenders. I guess it kinda fits in the category.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

A more perceivable example would be making a map nighttime and change the shape of da towers.

note that I AM NOT PROPOSING ANOTHER GAME MODE

(05-05-2011, 11:44 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: I had an idea once. An assault map which had an optional objective of powering up your ship in order to take it above all the turrets and straight to the defenders. I guess it kinda fits in the category.

Hmm. What if the final goal was in a room that is only reachable by a ship that goes back and forth between the room and the rest of the map. On the way there however, there's a crazy amount of turrets that you have to take down (maybe even players on the enemy team shooting you through windows/whatever holes in the ship). Inside the room, the objective could be simply a button or so that the attackers have to press (by touching it, not shooting) so they only have to get there in order to win. Tongue

p.s. this is already doable without any code changes, just needs a map for it
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

This thread is hinting at something that I think more mappers should try to go for: dynamic maps. Right now most DM/CTF maps are extremely static. They're just a bunch of brushes, and you can tell when you're playing them. Mappers adding things like windows that need to be shot out before a path opens up or random details that can be blown up or (please) exploding barrels littered around levels. Levels that have things being broken and torn apart by the players will go a really long way to making the game feel a lot more dynamic than before, even though the gameplay isn't really changed at all.

Agreed. Wasn't there someone working on their being explosive computers as well? I think it was mainly for the G-23 map.

Dynamic maps if doable would TREMENDOUSLY add to this game, especially since there are virtually no arena-type shooters that I know of (unless you count maybe DM Pressure from UT99) that have these type of maps, hell about the only real deathmatch oriented games I can think of off the top of my head that had them were the Twisted Metal games which weren't even FPS games, but vehicular combat (ballistic demolition derby) ones.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, UT3 had them in Warfare, but that doesn't count because UT3 sucked Tongue
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Did anyone though about the limitations of the DP engine?
interactions with the environment arent as easy to realize as you might think.

(05-08-2011, 02:09 PM)vede Wrote: Mappers adding things like windows that need to be shot out before a path opens up or random details that can be blown up or (please) exploding barrels littered around levels. Levels that have things being broken and torn apart by the players will go a really long way to making the game feel a lot more dynamic than before
thats utopistic!

Squigger Wrote:Wasn't there someone working on their being explosive computers as well? I think it was mainly for the G-23 map.
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/g-...47bcf3906/
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/re...08aa7365e/

Yes. C.Brutail added some stuff on g-23 and red-planet. Afaik it wont be included, because it causes too much traffic.

Wait, so are you saying that it is impossible to do this because of the limitations of Dark places engine? Or is it just that it's slow on public servers?

It's the traffic that's a problem. There's not many public servers, and they don't run Google-level of hardware or connection, so if a map with large quantity of dynamic objects is played on a distant server, lags may ensue.

Please do put it in anyway. It would be awesome on singleplayer maps. Or, better yet, a svar to determine which entities get included (so that things like func_destructible outside of assault can be disabled at will).
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(05-12-2011, 09:39 AM)emrys merlin Wrote: Wait, so are you saying that it is impossible to do this because of the limitations of Dark places engine? Or is it just that it's slow on public servers?

generally its possible but that would increase the hardware requirements in general and it increases the traffic drastically.

Darkplaces engine is based on the quake engine from 1996. Its improved in many ways but it isnt comparable to modern engine. It beats the id3tech in several point and it also reaches the id4tech in some points, but thats it.

It seems like it shouldn't be too bad if the dynamic elements were limited to one or two objects on the map.

Like for example some kind of spaceport cargo yard where you can get into one or two of the cranes and hit levers that raise/rotate/lower a container.

Maybe have it set up so that if they are disabled on a particular server, an out of order sign appears on any such buttons/levers.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Old maps / "low-quality maps" Debugger 8 9,365 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin