Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Video: The Evolution of a Map

C.Brutail, one of the official developers in the Xonotic community, released a video today. The video chronicles his journey in converting an existing Nexuiz map to a Xonotic one. You can see how his attention to detail and knack for adding gameplay elements resulted in a new style of map. Check it out!

No wonder it gets the performance it does...
Still, it shows that maps are more than a few brushes and that they take time.

GJ C.Brutail

Nice video. Is the song VNV nation btw ?

Yes, it is. You haven't watched the video till the end it seems, because at 7:15 it tells you the artist and the name of the song Wink
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Oh neat. I was wanting to make something similar to this expect a time lapse looking at radiant as well.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

(05-18-2011, 04:14 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Still, it shows that maps are more than a few brushes and that they take time.

Obvious statement is obvious.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Well you can see how his attention to detail & knack for adding game play elements resulted in a brand spanking new style of map.

katterbrill - did you notice the wording you choose makes you sound like a bot? Especially with this scary link in your footnote. However, your algorithm seems pretty sophisticated since your posts sort of at least somewhat match the thread topic, even though lacking added value.

If you're a bot, please consider to release your source code following the spirit of the GPL - if you're not, forgive me for being suspicious.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(05-18-2011, 02:27 PM)Antibody Wrote: You can see how his attention to detail and knack for adding gameplay elements resulted in a new style of map.

(05-25-2011, 02:23 AM)katterbrill Wrote: Well you can see how his attention to detail & knack for adding game play elements resulted in a brand spanking new style of map.

Remember when we used to catch these bots by running suspicious posts through google? They returned an exact match so we knew the post was from somewhere else. Now to beat that, it seems they have started inserting extra words, splitting them up in two parts or using synonyms in some places. It's harder to find the original post with Google that way. But when you use stuff from the exact same page of the same thread, it will still raise eyebrows Smile and the funny thing is it kinda works, some posts by bots hang around here for ages because it is easy to glance over these posts. They don't say anything remotely interesting mostly, but still something that seems to be related to the subject of the thread.

I have also seen something like (probably) Google Translate being used. It has a nice API. You could for example use it to translate an English sentence to something like Japanese and straight back again. Some words will be substituted by synonyms that don't sound too out of place.

The worst thing is that we are just being used. The link is not really for us but for Google. Google will come accross that post and find a link to a website. The more links it finds to their website on high profile websites like xonotic.org, the higher it will rank said website in its search results. You will see that the website itself looks clean enough. The owner probably bought some 'linkbuilding' package somewhere and this is what they got. A bot spamming forums with their website link. It could have been worse though. I have seen people selling similar packages for hundreds of euros where all you get is these same links in the same spammy posts, but only on forums that are run by the people who sell you the package. Or, even better, links in public forum profiles. Forums that have thousands of those profiles but no posts whatsoever. You know, I could go on for a while but I think I will leave it at that.

Edit: Mods, just for laughs and see if there will be a reaction I have contacted the owner of the website, could you leave the post here for 'evidence'?

Mod update: let's keep this on topic. I'll leave this here, but with a teeeeeeeny font Big Grin
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(05-25-2011, 04:42 AM)PinkRobot Wrote: Edit: Mods, just for laughs and see if there will be a reaction I have contacted the owner of the website, could you leave the post here for 'evidence'?

That's a splendid idea! Good thinking.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video: Xonotic 0.8.1 overview Antibody 14 16,150 08-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: JoeMaro