Create an account

Poll: Round 2: which one sounds best?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Sample 3
27.27%
3 27.27%
Sample 5
9.09%
1 9.09%
Sample 6
9.09%
1 9.09%
Sample 7
36.36%
4 36.36%
Cannot decide between 3 and 5
9.09%
1 9.09%
Cannot decide between 3 and 6
9.09%
1 9.09%
Cannot decide between 3 and 7
0%
0 0%
Cannot decide between 5 and 6
0%
0 0%
Cannot decide between 5 and 7
0%
0 0%
Cannot decide between 6 and 7
0%
0 0%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Sound check

Please vote for the piano sound you like most. Try to ignore variations in dynamics, as these can be compensated for. Watch out mainly for how the piano sound itself is.

UPDATE: see post #16, the old poll has been closed and a new one opened, with 3 new "contestants".
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

number 3 i imo , was best for strength , feeling , clarity
number 4 seemed to have some background noise
1 and 2 seemed not as polished and lacked body

me plumber!

t

:^

N° 1 is my favorite. i imagine having it playing in my living room.

N° 2 sounds a bit detuned. Reminds me of one of those music caskets, poorly-lit corridors, discipline, pirates, ....
N° 3 sounds definitely 'asian'. i don't know how to explain it. i have to think of modern japanese or korean fantasy/mafia movies.
N° 4 is oversaturated.

But then again, i'm using crappy old speakers.
4m038105 - Be the change.

1 and 3 sound most realistic to me, and yes 1 sounds a bit weak for some reason. I voted can't decide between 1 and 3 but if you held a nex to my head I'd say 3.

Can't decide between 1 and 4
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(05-21-2011, 12:48 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: N° 1 is my favorite. i imagine having it playing in my living room.

N° 2 sounds a bit detuned. Reminds me of one of those music caskets, poorly-lit corridors, discipline, pirates, ....
N° 3 sounds definitely 'asian'. i don't know how to explain it. i have to think of modern japanese or korean fantasy/mafia movies.
N° 4 is oversaturated.

But then again, i'm using crappy old speakers.

Your speakers are not a problem because my impressions are the same. :) №2 sounds detuned indeed.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

1 and 3 sound quite nice. I'd probably choose 3 over 1, though. On 2 and 4 I echo 4m.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

As 2 is already losing quite obviously: 2 is the "Acoustic Grand Piano" patch of freepats.

Number 3 feels the most natural to me.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

3 is the most natural. It sounds almost like real grand piano.
Check quite natural sound (Don't mind the noise, Its because of sound card):
http://ompldr.org/vOHIxbA%5Dhttp://ompldr.org/vOHIxbA

(05-22-2011, 09:39 AM)divVerent Wrote: As 2 is already losing quite obviously: 2 is the "Acoustic Grand Piano" patch of freepats.
What? No! Okay, that makes me sad. Freepats needs to trump proprietary synths ASAP. Sad

Run between 3 and 1. 3 sounds like the "modern" sound with certain parts boosted to reach the loudness we are accustomed too nowadays from movies and music, etc. 1 sounds the most realistic without being touched up to sound louder.

My ears like 3 better (because of the loudness I'm used to) but 1 is more realistic. As one cat above said, it sounds like the piano is in the room with you--however for the sake of good sound, volume isn't adjusted to make it sound louder.

4 has compression I think, might just be me. But if it's compression, it makes it the worst.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

4 sounds like it needs tuning, old saloon boogie style upright piano imitation.

To be honest, none of the samples sound particularly good nor realistic, but that was not the question. To me, number 3 is the one with the most "spacious" sound, has most "presence" of the sound. Don't know how to put it right.

May I ask what you need that for? If you need anything played on the piano and to release it under gpl v2, I could help you out, my stage piano has a very good sound implementation as far as I am concerned and I might be able to record something for you if you specify what you need.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(05-21-2011, 06:50 PM)naryl Wrote:
(05-21-2011, 12:48 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: ....

Your speakers are not a problem because my impressions are the same. Smile №2 sounds detuned indeed.

Maybe Your speakers are crappy, too. Tongue
4m038105 - Be the change.

They can't be crappy *in the same way*. :P
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

I am going to restart the poll with new files.

These were the votes:

Sample 1 2 9.09%
Sample 2 0 0%
Sample 3 10 45.45%
Sample 4 1 4.55%
Cannot decide between 1 and 2 0 0%
Cannot decide between 1 and 3* 4 18.18%
Cannot decide between 1 and 4 2 9.09%
Cannot decide between 2 and 3 0 0%
Cannot decide between 2 and 4 2 9.09%
Cannot decide between 3 and 4 1 4.55%

This makes Sample 3 the clear winner.

In the new poll, I let sample 3 compare against new samples 5, 6, 7. Please reply with your opinions then, too!

The now no longer in the poll samples are on http://rm.endoftheinternet.org/~xonotic/test/

The samples which have lost are:

1. "mda piano.dll"
2. freepats
4. "4front piano.dll"

I must say I am partial to sample #5.

Sample #5 is ok for general sample quality but imho far too sharp, sounds like someone hammered the melody into the piano using a sledge hammer. From this aspect I'd prefer sample #6 over sample #5 and even over sample #7, even though its audio quality seems generally lower to me compared to both of the other ones.

However, the most authentic sample is, for me, sample #5 - but I find it horrible to listen at. Maybe that's a matter of midi velocity information? Good piano software instruments use a couple of different samples for different midi velocities and blend them together, since a piano sounds totally different if you hit the key softly or if you hit it sharply - simply playing one sample at different volumes just doesn't do the trick. If you play the piece at full midi velocity, then something like sample #5 would be expectable even from a good software instrument.

Edit: listening to it again I noticed that even the lower volume parts sound extremely sharp. So my vote remains, despite the more muffled sound and the need for tuning the piano I prefer sample #6 over samples #5 and #7.

Another edit: oh, and sample #3 is of similar quality, actually it sounds a bit more authentic. But the melody is transported better with sample 6 imho, since the piece itself requires a more soft piano sample.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Just noticing, sample #7 does have a problem... different notes have a quite different timbre... obviously, it only used a sample every few keys, and keys in between are derived from one or the other, but not from both.

im just going to say that the simple fact that your making tunes div , makes them all a winner in my books Smile

<3

also whats the master plan?

what you up to young man?

t

:^

divVerent, did you make this piece?

If so, I'd love to hear it in some bonus stage or something Big Grin

Or maybe when player finishes single player campaign...
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

With the bot orchestra playing it of course Smile

I voted 3. Number 5 is an option if you're going for the medieval sound :p
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

@unfa: yes, I did make it. But I can't imagine it in a FPS, other than maybe at a credits screen Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Made a Quake Champions frag video check it out zeroql 4 4,822 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SilenceKiller
Music I'm teaching sound synthesis on YouTube unfa 2 9,811 07-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Epic's Unreal - my sound of NaPali unfa 7 9,898 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unfa
Wink Check my podcast full of weirdeness. unfa 2 3,471 07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Last Post: unfa
  Need to check anark10n 17 13,467 06-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
Music Sound used to freeze blood (for mediacal purposes) unfa 1 2,760 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Last Post: .Danny.