Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARMA 3 for Linux!!!

I got this off the official ARMA 3 site, but for the multiplayer component, with full support for dedicated servers! I'm not sure whether it includes the single-player. anyone else who understands it better, please explain.

ARMA 2 was awesome, bugs includedBig Grin. PC Exclusive!!!

(Okay, the bugs weren't awesome. Not at all.)
How long is a piece of string?

Source? I read it as "our dedicated servers support both Windows and Linux". From ModDB:

ModDB Wrote:Multiplayer Gameplay – Experience both cooperative & competitive scenarios with the full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.

TBH I probably would not buy it anyway - for the most part ArmA II had the most hostile online community I've ever seen Dodgy

OTOH a Linux client would be a huge boon for Linux gamers.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Yeah, the ArmA 2 community is pretty hostile, almost as hostile as ArmA 2 is on noobs.

Anyway, if they release it for Linux, i'll look into buying it (no open source military sim anywhere (and no, delta3d is a game engine)). as much as i like fast-paced shooters, i do like the time to think about different approaches to a given situation.Wink

Day one purchase if this is true. My collection lacks decent combat simulators outside of the first three Delta Force games.

EDIT:
Just did a quick Google on it and it does in fact appear to be coming to Linux according to multiple sources.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

anark10n Wrote:Anyway, if they release it for Linux, i'll look into buying it (no open source military sim anywhere (and no, delta3d is a game engine)). as much as i like fast-paced shooters, i do like the time to think about different approaches to a given situation.

My approach is invariably calling in artillery (or something that makes a BIG explosion) Big Grin

Hostage situation, you say? Hmm, I have just the shell for that...
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I'm 99% certain there won't be a linux client. Also, they have supplied linux dedicated server for years (same for flashpoint and arma 1).
They never showed any pro-linux tendecies and they don't even have neccesary manpower to release a game without hundreds of bugs. (but they are trying, even after years)

Even if they released linux client I wonder how good would it run considering less-than-ideal drivers. I once tried linux UT2004 and it didn't run because of some dependencies or whatever so I just ran it trough wine.

Unless the developer is using OpenGL, it's pointless to ask for a linux client IMHO.

i read they are using openGL, with a directX backend.

also, if it's for linux, wouldn't it be for mac as well?
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

<sigh> i was so hoping they would bring to Linux. it does seem to make little sense to bring it to linux and not mac. apologies for my distracting misinterpretation.

Linux dedicated server support != Linux client support

(05-29-2011, 07:41 AM)Exitium Wrote: Linux dedicated server support != Linux client support

Nope. Most games actually have Linux support server side. Crysis and Unreal Tournament III (which had it's Linux client cancelled) are two examples.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

BI dev's post:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?...stcount=45

altough, i really cant imagine playing it on linux. what distros are you using people? ubuntu natty makes me think about formatting my linux partition.

gallery of all arma3 screens: http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=15281
Finally modern age animations that will enable all sorts of detailed stuff and stop making the entire game look like crap, they are even doing detailed reloading anims so it will look like a "real" gameBig Grin

One thing I'm afraid of that my 250 will give me only low details, the requirement is 260. If they seriously won't optimize it it's going to be the most brutal hardware killer in history. Its so sad how the computers ageDodgy

(05-25-2011, 07:00 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: I'm 99% certain there won't be a linux client. Also, they have supplied linux dedicated server for years (same for flashpoint and arma 1).
They never showed any pro-linux tendecies and they don't even have neccesary manpower to release a game without hundreds of bugs. (but they are trying, even after years)

Even if they released linux client I wonder how good would it run considering less-than-ideal drivers. I once tried linux UT2004 and it didn't run because of some dependencies or whatever so I just ran it trough wine.

Unless the developer is using OpenGL, it's pointless to ask for a linux client IMHO.

Hi, I am currently playing ut2004.

If you want to play you have to do this:

At System directory of ut 2004 run
$ ls *.so*
libSDL-1.2.so.0 libstdc++.so.5 openal.so

Replace these files with recent files. In my case (64-bit) I had to do following.
$ cp /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1.13.0 openal.so
$ cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.5 .
$ cp /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3 libSDL-1.2.so.0

Now ut2004-bin-linux-amd64 easily runs.

The game is awesome.

thx razorxpress but that was ages ago and wine was just ok, btw I tried UT3 in linux one time and except 2 ok-ish bugs it was perfectly playable on highest details.

its sad that in the past they supplied linux binaries and it was easy and compatible. nobody actually gives a damn today.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need recommendatons for best wireless PC gaming mice and keyboards for Linux CyberGhost 5 1,043 01-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  Surround Headset for Linux - experiences? Halogene 2 9,413 05-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Linux/FOSS game awards voting open now poVoq 3 6,597 12-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Linux Mint to overtake Ubuntu? satuim 21 24,009 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: edh
  Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell FutureSuture 5 7,708 08-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Last Post: FutureSuture
  Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux FutureSuture 0 4,214 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: FutureSuture
  PROJECT: Dota 2 for Linux Exitium 7 12,523 07-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Loafers
Wink Steam Officially on Linux Squigger 1 5,207 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Last Post: end user
  Best linux distro and why? Droid 38 39,723 10-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Last Post: machine!
  [ALERT] New malware targets Linux and Mac OS X Droid 22 31,169 09-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Last Post: neXus