Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nouveau

Does anyone currently use noveau? How does it work with xonotic/nexuiz and with other games?
bye / bad luck and have boredom

I haven't used it, but check this out: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...flip&num=1

That's encouraging. I think I'll go ahead and and try it out and see how it fares with xonotic/nexuiz for my card.

Runs slow, like maybe 1/4 the performance of proprietary driver. Texture compression doesn't work. Vertical sync doesn't work. I've had a lot of system freezes using Nouveau with Xonotic, but only a few with Nexuiz. Not sure why that is. Aside from that... it worked for me, using the repository version from Trisquel 4.5.1.

:/ that was recent then, according to the website.

What was the version of the kernel? I plan on using the git version, thus meaning I'd probably need to use git linux (as in the actual kernel) too...unfortunately (don't mind config'ing kernels, but something's always broken after an update ^_^ )

I'm still gonna try it. I don't need too fancy of graphics, I'm just sick to shit of the nvidia drivers messing up flash and the like.

EDIT: I also checked the "feature list" for my specific card and it seems ok.

The kernel is 2.6.35, and though it's supposed to be linux-libre, I don't see any indication that it is in Synaptic.

So now an update. I tried nouveau on my computer. I used the latest git from them so it was a bit of hacking and walking around portage to get it working. The end result was ok.

In Nexuiz, lighting (HDR, and all other effects) were just as good with an acceptable fps although it dipped on the popular servers (esk, hoctf), about a bit above 100. However, the one thing that upset me is antialiasing was disabled. Same for xonotic although the fps were unplayable (30). Of course, in "pro" mode (no effects, etc) fps were better and indeed playable, but then no effects doesn't really require much anyway. With the amount of playing around I had to do, at least as I had the nouveau driver, it wasn't worth it.

However, it could simply have been my configs or they ways I do it, they may not have been the best. For example, it makes little sense why antialiasing just didn't work.

In any case, the nouveau driver seems to be showing progress, so I'll keep an eye on it and play around with it from time to time. It's getting there.

And that's great when we talk about FOSS, even though "it's getting there" is usually derogatory phrase in the rest of the software world. The thing is even though nvidia drivers are better, they are closed meaning they won't "go anywhere" from here. Nvidia has already shown they care shit about their linux users anyhow with their dropping of nv. So really, unless nvidia decides to care a bit about us again, nouveau seems like the better hope ^_^

I keep playing around with it and I'll keep you all posted.