Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I create IQM player models for Xonotic?

Question 
Hi all,
Since the switch to Xonotic it appears that the preferred character model format is IQM. There are IQM tools available online but nowhere is an explanation of how to make a new character model for xonotic specifically. Please help.

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...der_to_IQM
the rig /animation process should be the same as the one linked here http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...der_to_DPM

hope that helps a bit.

Note that the IQM exporter has been updated recently and you will need a recent Xonotic build to use the exported .iqm in Xonotic. I suggest either using Xonotic Git or autobuilds.

The Blender to IQM tutorial is pretty straightforward, except the example model and framegroups are a bit outdated, I will try to update that page asap with something more recent.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm currently updating all player models with new animations and doing other minor tweaks, so I know my way around the workflow.

Am I to take it that the work flow is based on exporting meshes and animations separately before compiling into iqe?

No, the workflow is as simple as selecting the mesh and armature in object mode, clicking Export/Inter-quake Model, entering the list of animations (seperated by commas) and choosing path to save file. Smile

You will need a .framegroups file for you model, you can look at other models for examples. I will update the wiki later to explain a bit more how that works.
Oh, are you a modeler or animator? Or both?

If you are an animator, keep in mind that things are changing very quickly as more features are added almost every other week. There is now a melee animation and more animations are being added. You might want to keep in touch on irc or pm me sometimes so you can be updated on what animations are needed or anything like that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TUTORIAL] How to create a command - DarkPlaces engine C programming LegendGuard 1 2,341 03-31-2021, 03:43 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [TUTORIAL] How to create a command - Xonotic QuakeC programming LegendGuard 3 3,229 07-25-2020, 06:24 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Raising funds for new graphics/models MarisaG 13 8,897 03-13-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Weapon models WIP help. Beagle 1 3,495 05-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  [plan] A single-player game creation toolkit using the Xonotic framework MirceaKitsune 21 30,725 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Zeo
  We need more alien and robot player models! MirceaKitsune 25 27,004 11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Please don't forget these models! MirceaKitsune 6 7,752 07-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Last Post: pyr0
  "Global player stats tracking system, supporting anonymous player as well" atheros 30 32,400 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Last Post: unfa