Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bill S.978

Anyone hear of bill S.978? If not, just Google or YouTube it, it's easy to find.
I think, for those of us who live in the US, this poses an interesting situation, of which a lot of people are distressing about. I personally think it would be bad, and just wrong, for this to pass. But even so, it so happens that it wouldn't really effect anything for me.
But it occurred to me, that, if it does pass, I think it would further and strengthen FOSS games... which means things like more players playing Xonotic. Big Grin
What are your thoughts?

I heard about it on notch's blog, where he was talking about how part of the games success was due in part to the huge youtube community. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, as it wouldn't really effect me much either. However I am sure there are lots of people that find this distressing.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

That bill sounds like a freaking problem if you ask me. There's a lot of reviews and gaming videos you won't see in the future if this bullshit gets passed.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(07-03-2011, 11:39 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: That bill sounds like a freaking problem if you ask me. There's a lot of reviews and gaming videos you won't see in the future if this bullshit gets passed.

I agree. It's absolutely retarded.

Interesting, but I also suspect you as a spambot. Please verify, that you're human. You have two days to do that.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

heh I was just going to hit the report button so you'd check the very same. Good job again :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

First amendment, anyone? Fair use is the same everywhere.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

C.Brutail, you think it's a spambot targeting FOSS games? :D
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(07-04-2011, 03:11 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Interesting, but I also suspect you as a spambot. Please verify, that you're human. You have two days to do that.

lol This does seem like a spam bot. Funny thing is it proved useful as I've never heard of this bill until it posted about it here.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

That is stupid shit indeed it better not pass a god damn penalty of up to a felony one would have have to go through a video looking to see if there was music on in the background or if the TV was on showing a re run of the freaking power puff girls you would get a strike right there. GTFO Angry

As long as someone isn't making money off of someone else's content they shouldn't be penalised. torrent movies, music, whatever. if you end up liking the content then go ahead and support it, buy a legit copy. If not chances are your going to delete it, why would you keep something you didn't like on your HDD wasting space Tongue
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

What? No. I'm not a bot - why would a bot post this?
(07-04-2011, 11:58 AM)Liquid Sin Wrote: As long as someone isn't making money off of someone else's content they shouldn't be penalised. torrent movies, music, whatever. if you end up liking the content then go ahead and support it, buy a legit copy. If not chances are your going to delete it, why would you keep something you didn't like on your HDD wasting space Tongue
I mostly feel the same way, although, even existing laws don't.

no, but really: FIRST FUCKING AMENDMENT. Even better, this may even step into the human rights territory. There is no way in hell this is going to get passed.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I'm sorry I've accused you perredition, but spambots tend to be rather "intelligent" nowadays.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(07-04-2011, 05:22 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: I'm sorry I've accused you perredition, but spambots tend to be rather "intelligent" nowadays.

It's not the case with Xonotic bots, though - they still don't recognize warpzones. [/ot]

(07-04-2011, 03:16 PM)perredition Wrote: What? No. I'm not a bot - why would a bot post this?

hehe, your post matched three criteria for bot detection:
  1. you happened to have used a particular non-personal style of wording with the approach "what do you think about that, let's discuss" that is often used by bots,
  2. you chose a topic that would be suited for any FOSS game site with the only Xonotic specific information being the name of the project in the last sentence, something a mature spam bot would be capable of doing as well,
  3. both of the criteria named above were being matched in your very first post

But nice to have the spam bot detection fail for a change. Welcome to the forums!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(07-05-2011, 01:07 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: It's not the case with Xonotic bots, though - they still don't recognize warpzones. [/ot]
Heh, what the bots really need to know how to use, is the laser. Smile

(07-05-2011, 03:09 AM)Halogene Wrote:
(07-04-2011, 03:16 PM)perredition Wrote: What? No. I'm not a bot - why would a bot post this?

hehe, your post matched three criteria for bot detection:
  1. you happened to have used a particular non-personal style of wording with the approach "what do you think about that, let's discuss" that is often used by bots,
  2. you chose a topic that would be suited for any FOSS game site with the only Xonotic specific information being the name of the project in the last sentence, something a mature spam bot would be capable of doing as well,
  3. both of the criteria named above were being matched in your very first post

But nice to have the spam bot detection fail for a change. Welcome to the forums!
I see, that makes sense.
Thank you.

(07-04-2011, 03:38 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: no, but really: FIRST FUCKING AMENDMENT. Even better, this may even step into the human rights territory. There is no way in hell this is going to get passed.

DMCA contradicts the first amendment too among other things. Didn't stop it.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(07-06-2011, 08:26 AM)naryl Wrote:
(07-04-2011, 03:38 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: no, but really: FIRST FUCKING AMENDMENT. Even better, this may even step into the human rights territory. There is no way in hell this is going to get passed.

DMCA contradicts the first amendment too among other things. Didn't stop it.

^ yep and look at all the big corporations/organizations that support the bill vs the ones who don't, just by that alone i'd say this shit will pass... http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s978/show
<Samual_> no

Poll on OpenCongress Wrote:1% of users support this bill.
(12 in favor/1173 opposed.)
This seams to indicate that the bill is made for a few special interest groups rather than to better the general public.

In my opinion, the video game run-throughs are not copyrighted material. The game may be (commercial games, not FOSS ones), but the footage is not. So you might be able to say "Streaming the game is illegal," but I don't think that footage taken from screen capture is automatically licensed to the game that is on the screen. By that logic, ANY screen capture would have its copyright held by the OS company that the computer is running.

Unfortunately, Liquid Sin is right, here are just a few of the major supporters:

Motion Picture Association of America
Sony Pictures Entertainment
AT&T
CBS Corporation
Time Warner
The Walt Disney Company

Well then, either USA finally reads the goddamn constitution and starts collecting signatures to fire the government, or LET'S HOPE LIKE HELL this hydra doesn't crawl through the pond to bite our butts in EU.

It won't pass, too much going against it already.

It's the silent ones you have to watch for, this one is already dead in the water because of exposure.

(07-08-2011, 02:04 AM)Samual Wrote: It won't pass, too much going against it already.

It's the silent ones you have to watch for, this one is already dead in the water because of exposure.

Yep just like farts Tongue

But your probably right, this bill is getting exposure rather early on so this time it might die... there is just to much money involved for it to be killed completely.

fuckers. Angry
<Samual_> no