Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM]X-evilspaceremix

The map is back and I hope you will like it.
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Well, this is my first map done (almost) I've play that map about once a day for a year when I played nexuiz on Doku's server. About 2 mounts ago Doku told us "time for nexuiz is done now lets play xonotic". I could not imagine play a shooter without that great space map made by cortez and FruitieX. I asked cortez to remake the map for xonotic and he said lets go, do it.

Here is some old screenies
[Image: tOWVmYQ]
[Image: tOWVmYw]
[Image: tOWVmZQ]
[Image: tOWVnNg]

I have a question to mappers, if a player active a triger switch that frag an other player in a trap, is there a way to compt the frag to the player who has activated the trigger switch? to give him the frag? Tell me how to do it, that would be great..

Get the map here
(updated 17-07-11) beta_01
(updated 18-10-2011) beta_02
(updated 04-11-2011) beta_03
(updated 10-02-2012) beta_04 a big FPS gain ==>http://ompldr.org/vY3IwNg

I find these kind of fences around the electro-stuff pretty ugly. Also on the pipes and I don't get why you should get hurt then. Tongue
Here I don't get hurt at all from the front side, from behind I die.
http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/gszl...lpjkic.jpg

(07-07-2011, 09:15 PM)Leeloo Wrote: I have a question to mappers, if a player active a triger switch that frag an other player in a trap, is there a way to compt the frag to the player who has activated the trigger switch? to give him the frag? That would be great.
I'am not sure if I am anderstandable and please be patient with my bad english :-)

I'am waiting for your critics.

Yes, this is absolutely possible, not sure which triggers to use ATM, but it is definitely possible.

I will download later today and then critique the visuals Smile

[Image: evilspaceremix.png]
1. The item is rotating in the frame.Confused Should be fixed by setting the spawnflag "floating" and lift the item a bit up. Same problem with the large armor item on the other side.
2. The effect should be moved a bit down so that it won´t play through the cone.
3. Texture-alignment!
4. Again, texture-alignment!
5. And once again, texture-alignment!
6. Again, and again, and again... Rolleyes
7. I can look through this "thing".
8. I can look through the floor at the electrical field. Fix it!

Performance: For an oddly reason the frames per second slow down when I play this map with bots. Without them I get 50-60 FPS, which is the maximum for me at all maps.

Most of these issues have now been fixed, nevertheless I still have problems with the performance when playing with bots.

Little things has changed from previous version about metal stuctures you pointed at number3, it was not like that! For number 1 it was wanted that the goodies float inside the stucture.
ok, i'll check it out and will correct that. thank you.
(07-08-2011, 03:45 AM)Mirio Wrote: I find these kind of fences around the electro-stuff pretty ugly. Also on the pipes and I don't get why you should get hurt then. Tongue
Here I don't get hurt at all from the front side, from behind I die.
http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/gszl...lpjkic.jpg

You are right Mirio, I forgot to add a small hurt brush on that things in front as I did on the pipes. thats kind of fences are just a little protection from electrochocs, as you have seen behind there is nothing and a ppl get died.
Thank you for your time spent to test it and to critic it.

Do you know anything about my performance problem with the bots?

(07-08-2011, 04:59 PM)Maddin Wrote: Do you know anything about my performance problem with the bots?

I think yes, what I know is I have the same probleme. 2 weks ago I made a file for bots called X-evilspaceremix.waypoints. It was the firs time i had created such a file. you going to find it in the X-evl../naps/ beside the bsp file. May be I made too many bot nodes!

I fixed almost all the textures prob. I fixed also the grate that we could see only from one side, we could not see from under the plaform. I did not find out yet how to fix the flame trower. I 've read on the forum Sev had a problem to set up the func_particles.

As far as I know you have to create waypoints ingame. There´s a waypoint-edit-mode, at least it was in Nexuiz; I didn´t tried it yet in Xonotic. It makes the bots not only grabbing the items, they will move to the waypoints you set and so behave more human-like.

I had a look at the map and sorry, no offence, but I got a heart attack from what I saw. Nearly every brush and patch doesn´t fit the grid (very evil!Angry). You used patches or caulk-brushes for the grates, that´s not the best option, better use nodraw-brushes!

Where´s the flame thrower entity? I can´t find it.Undecided No wonder that you can´t fix it.Big Grin

... so a golden rule: ALWAYS WORK ON THE GRID!

(07-09-2011, 04:31 AM)Maddin Wrote: As far as I know you have to create waypoints i...

Here is my config file for waypoints:
bind whatyouwantkey "exec wp.cfg"
wp.cfg
bind 1 "g_waypointeditor 1"
bind 2 "g_waypointeditor_spawn"
bind 3 "g_waypointeditor_remove"
bind 4 "g_waypointeditor_relinkall"
bind 5 "g_waypointeditor_saveall"
bind 6 "g_waypointeditor 0"

(07-09-2011, 04:31 AM)Maddin Wrote: ... I got a heart attack from what I saw....
Funny but as I told this is my first map and I made it without knowlege (It is like a copy/paste map). I am lucky to have access to guys like you to learn how to mapping so thank you for your advices.
Does it really, really matter on this map that the brushes and patchs no fit the grid ?
What does it do?
I won't repeat this mistake on next maps
Well sorry I think we are out of topic. You can answer me on a adequate subjet on the forum, i'll find it.
(07-09-2011, 04:31 AM)Maddin Wrote: Where´s the flame thrower entity? I can´t find it.Undecided No wonder that you can´t fix it.Big Grin
... so a golden rule: ALWAYS WORK ON THE GRID!

Here the flame trower antity and the sparks antity
[Image: tOWYxdw]
1-spark
2-flame thrower

If you can help me with that I'll be happy, I found docs on the net but I don't have much time to translate and anderstand everythings.
A new version of the map is comming soon, may be for monday.

Oh, sorry, the transparent things were filtered out. My fault. So, as I said before, just move this two brushes a bit down.

(07-09-2011, 09:42 AM)Leeloo Wrote: Does it really, really matter on this map that the brushes and patchs no fit the grid ?
What does it do?
It is indeed very important that ever brush and patch matches the grid. Otherwise you get problems with VIS and trenches like in the picture. It is way easier to work with the grid than not to work with it. You should have a look at maps like strength or ruiner, they are a good reference.

(07-09-2011, 10:02 AM)Maddin Wrote: Oh, sorry, the transparent things were filtered out. My fault. So, as I said before, just move this two brushes a bit down.

I did it but it doesn't move when in game so I looked for a kind of scripts or config file, I looked on the properties inspector but I have found nothing yet. This is a story to be continue...

Here a new version with textures fixed. I'd like to try it with poeple on a server.

I still wanna know:

"if a player active a triger switch that frag an other player in a trap, is there a way to compt the frag to the player who has activated the trigger switch? to give him the frag?"

If you have a clue tell me please :-)

I am waiting to ear from nowego4!

Since Maddin has already pointed them out, I won't mention the lot of texture alignment problems Wink
I don't know if this is your first map, but I have to say, that if it is, it is very impressive, however, it's full of "rooky" problems Wink (however, this looks epic: http://ompldr.org/vOWFoaA)

The largest problem is the conceptionless. Nothing indicates that the stuff down there is a teleporter or hurt zone. Also, nothing indicates how to come out from the middle chamber (yeah, laserjump obviously, but still). Too many ideas (ggod and bad), but poorly designed.
I'm not telling the map is bad, but obviously too big project for a starter (I've seen worse, including myself Tongue).

For the performance problems: it'll always suck with bots (at least with the current ones), get over it Tongue
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I fully agree with C.Brutail, you should start with small projects to get a knowledge of what you are doing all the time as a mapper.

C.Brutail Wrote:For the performance problems: it'll always suck with bots (at least with the current ones), get over it Tongue
I never had any performance problems with bots in any other map, not even in my own map. Of course they are still very stupid.

k ok k

To fix the texture alignment problem (1. picture) you have to open the surface inspector (press S) and shift/scale the texture. It is always better to get rid of patches and use brushes instead. This also increases your performance and makes texture alignment a lot easier.

Leeloo Wrote:@Maddin: Thank you again for your coaching ;-) Now I always use the grid and I use different scale depend of structural brushes or details one. I forgot to take off the botfile in the pk3 package so do not use them :-)
Very nice! Smile

k ok k

Ok, looks like others got the vis problems under control, so I'll just say what C.Brutail said.

Both of the sides look good as far as gameplay and hopping around goes, but the middle is very congested and quite intimidating/dangerous if you don't know how to use your laser. Placement of important items doesn't mean put them in a place where it's dangerous to go normally, but it should be exposed to enemies. Take the railgun on G-23, for example. There's absolutely no environmental danger, but you're dead meat if your enemy knows you're in there. Look at the strength on Attic, it's very safe to get to, but again if your enemy has a RL or Crylink or GL then you won't be able to camp it.

k ok k

Give a try to the new version. Download link at the first post up here ^
-

Added map to the "[MoN] Overkill ..." server.

as requested some suggestion

[Image: pjqrf7eunb9ksmyz7xc_thumb.jpg]
[Image: xvw2fcz5idq4rk9gqoa_thumb.jpg]
[Image: bzak933khonzdypxto7_thumb.jpg]

hope you can understand them and that they help you
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

-image 1: I see pipes textures are mismatching, I will fix it.
-image 2: ( I tried a version without blue stuff and without glasses without all blue rays
-image 3: and with solid towers as the first version you made I stilled have a verry bad performance )

I thing there is bad stings in the .map file. I do not figure out how to put a vis blocker there because there is not a wall or a big building but I will try that, I will see if i can open the old evilspaceremix for nexuiz. I will work again on it in februrary.
Thank you for your help.
I asked Maddin to make a new version of this map. I am sure he will have a better success than I had.

The map is fixed now :-) Good FPS and the faulty pipes has been replaced.

Replace the maps on your servers they are pain in the... Hope you will enjoy of it.

Looks way better now! Smile

Though I still have perfomance problems when playing with bots. (My computer isn´t the problem btwWink ) And they also don´t move right, you may add waypoints?

fps without bots: 70-100
fps with bots: 20-40