Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iqm export

I can't seem to get any models exported into iqm format from blender to show up in darkplaces/xonotic. It just shows up as a multicolored rectangle as if it were missing...

This happens regardless if there are any animations or not... If it has no animations it throws a warning saying something along the lines of "model.iqm contains no animations". Otherwise, I don't see anything that would give me a clue as to what is going wrong since there are no messages/warnings/errors when loading a model with animations.

I have tried the latest iqm exporter dated 6/23/11 with blender 2.58 and also 2.49b with the old iqm 1 exporter (the latest/last release of iqm 1).

I have also tried exporting an iqe and compiling it with the tools without any luck.

Strangely enough, I can get models to show up when exported into any other supported format so I doubt it is the models. I have also tried the .blends from the xonotic git repository and the ones on the blender to darkplaces wiki page. They also will not show up... I can, however, load already created iqm's whether these are from xonotic, AA, or other iqm's I've found to test. I have even tried .blends of iqm's which are "ready to export" that others have successfully exported to iqm.

Adding to my frustration is the fact all of these DO load up flawlessly in the iqm viewer from the tools after they are exported.

Is there anyone that may be able to shed some light on what might be the problem? I must be overlooking something...

Thanks!

Sorry balaam I don't have a solution to your problem. If you are willing to, upload the blend and I'll try to see if my export fails.

Why not exporting in wavefront (.obj) format? We made the best experience with it if we talk about exporting from blender into radiant.
Unfortunately I'm not quite sure about the export of animations. Of course you can dumb them into the obj. file but no clue how it will looks like in radiant.
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

I think he wants to make a player model, otherwise if you want to create a map object then better use ase. There´s also an exporter for it.

(07-09-2011, 03:34 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: Sorry balaam I don't have a solution to your problem. If you are willing to, upload the blend and I'll try to see if my export fails.

I slapped this together quickly this afternoon and got the same result. Here is the .blend and the compiled .iqm (without modified material paths). The compiled iqm will appear in the iqm demo app, but nothing but a fantastic multicolored cube will appear in game...

Any idea as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Apparently, the attachments won't upload. I seem to be having a lot of problems today. :/

Soelen Wrote:Why not exporting in wavefront (.obj) format? We made the best experience with it if we talk about exporting from blender into radiant.
Unfortunately I'm not quite sure about the export of animations. Of course you can dumb them into the obj. file but no clue how it will looks like in radiant.

I don't think the .obj's support any sort of animation that I am aware of? I don't have any trouble exporting static objects into .obj or .ase and getting them to appear in game. I can't, however, get .md3's to export without it having a semi-transparent look. I can see through the model...

I don't suppose this has anything to do with the texture as I've tried both .tga and .png with and without alpha channels. I've even tried converting to .bmp and then back to .tga. Maybe gimp is doing something with the images? I really don't know... I can load other .md3's just fine and I can edit the skins for those as well in gimp without any problems.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you balaam. Unfortunately I don't know how to use the exporter script in blender 2.5.

(07-20-2011, 01:47 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you balaam. Unfortunately I don't know how to use the exporter script in blender 2.5.

No problem at all. I certainly appreciate the attempt. =)

Maybe, I could get a little closer to finding the problem if I knew what you guys were using?

Blender 2.49b? IQM devkit version 1, or the newer one, but instead using 2.4 and the 2.4 exporter script? In other words, what has been tested and is working for your purposes?

Is there anything that you are aware of that would hinder loading of an iqm model as, for instance, a g_* model (for weapon pickups)?

Do the v_ models always require a h_ for positioning, or can it be positioned like other exported formats within the modeling program (or is there a specific bone that can be included to position the model without a separate h_ for positioning)? Is this only necessary for md3 models as I'm not seeing this for other model types?

Is the iqm format for whatever reason not suitable for objects/weapons/etc and only suitable for player models and as the "invisible hand" to position the md3 models? I noticed that most of your g_* models and v_* models are md3 and are positioned with h_*.iqm (in the case of the v_ models).

Is there a reason for doing this besides the obvious time required to rewrite game code and converting the previously created models to the iqm format? What I mean is, are there no technical limitations of the format (or the way the engine handles them) preventing this, but rather the work needed to convert these models is just time consuming and not of the highest priority?

For playermodels i used blender 2.49b and the newest 2.49 exporter script.

Ok so weapon models are a little tricky. If the model has static animations where the entire weapon model is moving, you use h_*.iqm invisible hand to position v_*.md3 . So the animations would be handled on the h_*.iqm model. This saves fps when constructing a weapon model. If you look at current h_*.iqm weapons you will see a small rectangular brush that has no shader.

As for g_*.md3, that is used on the ground and is just positioned based on blender. The best way to do this is just appending and replacing the current object in an existing g_*.blend

Hope this helps for now.

WAIT THAT SHIT HAPPENS TO ME!! with lee ardappel EXPORTER
[Image: steam.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,642 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  How to expert .iqm with shape keys?? yuyusama 2 3,781 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Last Post: yuyusama
Sad iqm export not working Droid 2 3,764 09-10-2011, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Droid
  DEKU TREE map blender export questions filip 7 9,522 07-29-2010, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Strahlemann