Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Desura support?

I was in my glorious journey in the dark deeps of internet, and found the program called Desura. I bet some of you have heard of it.

http://desura.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desura

Briefly, it's much like Steam and it's UI is really Steam-like. You can manage your games, download them, buy them, connect with your friends etc. just like in Steam. However, Desura focuses on indie-games and mods, and especially mod-support is one of the highlighted features (it's binded to ModDB). You can download mods right from the Desura, just like normal games. Check the site for more info about the program.

However, I think that Xonotic community isn't interested in mod support, more like the "indie-game" part. How about adding Xonotic to Desura, at least when 1.0 is gold, maybe earlier?

Desura has at least good dev-support tools and with them you can administrate your game, make newest updates public etc. And it has no same kind of policy as Steam does - publishing game on Desura is way more easier. For examample, the beloved Alien Arena has the Desura support - freeware game (with GPL engine) and it's very well integrated with Desura. So, do you agree with me that Xonotic should be also supported on Desura?

Edit: Oh, btw - currently it's only for Windows, but OSX and Linux clients are in developement.

I already asked their support. They (I think it was the founder of Desura) answered that they would be glad to distribute even a non-commercial GPL game if it is a high-quality one. Somebody from the Xonotic team just needs to register the project with a trailer, a logo etc. It doesn't need to be a final release. Any questions can be directed to Desura support.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

If Desura is also available for Linux I will agree with you, Exitium.

(07-13-2011, 09:20 AM)Maddin Wrote: If Desura is also available for Linux I will agree with you, Exitium.

It WILL be.

There is a blog of a guy who does the Linux port somewhere. With screenshots. :)
http://www.desura.com/groups/linux-gamers/news/
- microsoft windows

Could also handle the much-discussed Achievements functionality.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Wouldn't it be nice to have Xonotic available on Desura at the same day they finish the Linux client? We may get a nice coverage on their already quite popular site. Of course we'll need another prerelease then but AFAIK it has some system to handle even daily updates. Somebody should talk to them.
- microsoft windows

(07-13-2011, 04:54 PM)naryl Wrote: Wouldn't it be nice to have Xonotic available on Desura at the same day they finish the Linux client?
It would be awesome! Then I also would just throw out my Windows licence and put Linux on my desktop computer. (Which I hopefully will do sometime...)

Xonotic on a popular Steam-like service that will soon be available on Linux... Definitely should try to make that happen.

(07-13-2011, 08:44 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Xonotic on a popular Steam-like service that will soon be available on Linux... Definitely should try to make that happen.

It could be an awesome marketing trick, for both Desura and Xonotic.

Maybe some main-dev should give a shot?

Edit:

(07-13-2011, 01:43 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: Could also handle the much-discussed Achievements functionality.

Please note that people don't want completely bind Xonotic with Desura, because Desura is closed source and completely third party program. That's why anchievment system cannot be completely "Desura anchievments", like Steam does.

(07-14-2011, 06:51 AM)Exitium Wrote: Please note that people don't want completely bind Xonotic with Desura, because Desura is closed source and completely third party program. That's why anchievment system cannot be completely "Desura anchievments", like Steam does.

But it's just an API thing: the achievement will be registered globally, and if available, on Desura as well.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Just an FYI, Desura is open source under the GPL now. http://www.moddb.com/groups/desura/forum...ng-desura/ there source is at https://github.com/lodle/Desurium

And we're already on Desura too.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(06-08-2012, 12:48 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: And we're already on Desura too.

Yeah whatever, but wouldn't it be nice to have Xonotic on Desura?

Dafuq? Xonotic can be downloaded from Desura since 0.5!

That's the joke!

I'll stop here because my useful to useless post ratio is plummeting.

Nah, who cares about postcount? Wink

(06-08-2012, 02:04 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Nah, who cares about postcount? Wink

Old Lee_Stricklin? Tongue Cool news about Desura though!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Xfire support ??? BARTUC 13 16,578 05-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Exitium