Create an account

Poll: Which name?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Heavy Metal
69.23%
18 69.23%
Blood Metal
3.85%
1 3.85%
Medarbah
11.54%
3 11.54%
Hell Metal
0%
0 0%
a completely other name?
15.38%
4 15.38%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Heavy Metal

for adding textures to your map
place your textures in a folder called map_heavy_metal (map_"mapname")
this folder has to be placed in texture folder of your personal xonotic folder
linux: ~/.xonotic/data/textures
so xonotic/data/textures/map_heavy_metal/

netradiant should load them automatically on next start

your shader should be called map_heavy_metal.shader
and has to be placed in your personal xonotic folder, too
xonotic/data/scripts/
to enable this shader at compiling you need to add this shader in your shaderlist and create a new shaderlist tag file.

add to xonotic/data/scripts/shaderlist.txt "map_heavy_metal"
start radiant > plugins > shaderplug > create new tag file

Last but not least: This is the official shader/texture naming convention (as u can see in the important threads sections at the top of this subforum.
its not needed to put your textures in a subfolder of textures and its not needed to name your shader map_blabla but it gives a better overview for others if they want to use your textures/shader in other maps.

at last if you pack your pk3 you have to include
textures/map_heavy_metal and
scripts/map_heavy_metal.shader

After another week of work my map has changed a lot. You can download the newer version at the first page, first post. Please delete the old version (if you have one) in your data folder before you put the newer version into the data folder!

As always suggestions and commendations are welcome!

Did anybody tested it? By the way, I´m currently fixing some texture issues and improving the gameplay.

I´m very sorry for triple-posting but there´s nobody who comments on the new version... Undecided I need your suggestions to improve this map!

Not really a commend on the new version but heres a story to make the arches more useful and to give something to fill the basement up.
Suppose this was and old base. However a pipeline has been installed from an important energy source to a city. This pipeline goes directly above this base. Thus the arches where placed to support there weight. While "they" where at it they turned the base into a refinery plant.

It gives meaning to the arches, the towers (let pipes come out of the top, connecting to the pipes on arches) and gives you something to place in the basement (something like in the map "toxic" maybe?).

I like your idea with the big pipes! To implement the big pipes above the towers won´t be a problem but what exactly should be in the center? Machines like in toxic you said, hmm... that won´t fit in the design, but maybe something else? Any ideas? (I´m sorry, sometimes I´m so uninspired...)

Honestly the layout hasn't changed a lot, only the "trickjump", don't really have any more comments than I did last time (lower level is still not connected with top). Nex replacement is good etc etc.

I do love your decal, I don't know how much work it took to make but Xonotic is still fairly low on decals.

Music for the map is almost done:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...3#pid27303

I just have to solve some issue with looping.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

@nowego4: What do you exactly mean with "connected"? Technically it´s connected with entrances and one teleporter, so where´s the problem? And don´t get me wrong, many things have changed since the first version, you should have a look at the list in the first post!
Concerning the decals: They were made in half an hour, so not very difficult to make.

(07-30-2011, 06:03 AM)Maddin Wrote: @nowego4: What do you exactly mean with "connected"? Technically it´s connected with entrances and one teleporter, so where´s the problem?

I think he means it still feels like 2 different parts and not like one. There is no smooth transition.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(07-29-2011, 08:41 AM)Maddin Wrote: I like your idea with the big pipes! To implement the big pipes above the towers won´t be a problem but what exactly should be in the center? Machines like in toxic you said, hmm... that won´t fit in the design, but maybe something else? Any ideas? (I´m sorry, sometimes I´m so uninspired...)
I'm glad you like it, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea.
By center you mean the lower level? This room is just square, maybe you could put some barrels in it?

@Cortez666: Sadly it isn´t very easy to connect them now. How should that be done?

@O.I.B.: Thanks a lot for these great pictures! I aim for implementing that.

By the way: These are things which really help me, pictures are great! It isn´t very helpful just to say "That doesn´t fit, see how you can fix it!".

So I made the changes O.I.B. suggested and now I also want to add the soundtrack unfa composed. How do I do that?

create in your user-directory
Code:
sound/cdtracks
inside this directory you put the soundfile (sound.ogg)
add in your .mapinfo
Code:
cdtrack sound

if u pack your pk3, just include them Smile

'sound' is just an example for a name

Ah ok, I already had something like that in mind. Anyway thanks for the help!

I tested the map again today with some other players on the CapBots server and somebody said that he would like to remove the strength item, it would be too powerful. So now I ask you: Should strength be (re)moved or not?

do not remove it Smile ...

Yeah, actually that you can take it each time it spawns. Big Grin

The new version is now available! Again you have to download it from the first post! Have fun! Oh and the first one who finds at least three areas where you can make trick-jumps gets the extra cookie!

Great job Maddin!
There seems to be a problem whit the blood spatter on the glass though. From a distance it "flickers", compare the 2 screenshots.
[Image: tOXF1cw] [Image: tOXF1dA]
Skyward Fire

Yeah I know that already but was too lazy to fix that for this version.Blush I think it is caused by the reflective glass shader, don´t worry I´ll remove it.

Does anyone know the trick-jumps?

(08-03-2011, 03:25 PM)O.I.B. Wrote: There seems to be a problem whit the blood spatter on the glass though. From a distance it "flickers", compare the 2 screenshots.

I had this problem once with regular decals on regular surfaces, I found out that if you make the decal as thin as possible on the smallest possible grid, it will do this. To solve, just make it slightly thicker/stick out from the wall a bit. It doesn't take much, people won't be able to tell the difference.

But I don't know what shader you're using, that could also possibly be the problem I suppose.

I'd also move that decal slightly off the center. It's placed too precisely and looks unnatural in my opinion.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Lol, I really had to smile when I read that. Can you read my thoughts? (yes, I had exactly the same in mind)

Ok, guys and girls! Another update is available!