Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Psychward [CTF]

Name: Psychward (WIP)
Game type: CTF
Latest download: http://ompldr.org/l20dtnn1s-psychward_ctf_b2 [Beta 2] and http://ompldr.org/vOWxucw/psychward_ctf_b1.5.pk3 [Beta 1.5] Read below to see difference.
Description: A mid-sized CTF map with a serene-type wood and brick theme, supposed to be some kind of corrupted child help center.
Todo: Get review.

[Image: qkmds4drj4teo08d205b_thumb.jpg]

Old downloads: http://ompldr.org/vOWs1aA/psychward_ctf_b1.pk3

[Beta 1]
My main worry with this map is that the base will be camped at the choke point by the big stairs. The major weapons and megas are placed outside of this, which will give attackers an advantage if the base is camped; if they don't camp then they will be able to reach said things before the enemy does.

If camping does prove to be a problem then I could add 'L' shaped halls running from the back of the nex/RL to the base. Other concern is the fireball/seeker, I originally had jetpack/hook there, not sure what to do atm. Also the current name doesn't seem like it has much chance at getting included, any suggestions relative to the theme are welcome.

This is my first map exclusively designed by me, please critique and play, GLHF Smile

[Beta 1.5/2]
Beta 1.5 and 2 are the same except that 2 has a back way into the base as suggested by some mappers. 1.5 has the same layout as 1 (but with issues fixed of course) by request of a experienced pickup player. Comparing these side by side should tell us which is best Smile

Changes in Beta 1.5 and 2
-Fixed jump-happy stairs
-Fixed z-fighting bugs
-Reworked item placement, adding a weapon
-Added lights over signs
-Added Onslaught support
-Added trim around the top to prevent cut-off brick texture
-Easter egg Big Grin

remove the red base and blue base on the walls they are hardly visible.

it has one big gameplay issue it design of the base you only can access the flag room through a tunnel and the room is basically a dead end.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

No, its a challenge. Tongue

Hmm I agree with cortez. Have at least 2/3 base access points with varying exits. Ignore Mirio he haxxorz.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

You built a really nice map there, it looks great! Anyway the gameplay needs some improvement:
- bunnyhopping is nearly impossible on the big stairs in front of each base, try clipping it and see if it is better
- when bunny hopping in the base on the stairs you lose a lot of speed because you are pushed up and bump against one of these beams, very annoying when you have the flag
- the large area won´t be a problem for beginners but it will definitely be one for persons who are shot by a Nex (Oh wait, no Nex there? Then forget what I said!)

(07-22-2011, 03:34 AM)Maddin Wrote: You built a really nice map there, it looks great! Anyway the gameplay needs some improvement:
- bunnyhopping is nearly impossible on the big stairs in front of each base, try clipping it and see if it is better
- when bunny hopping in the base on the stairs you lose a lot of speed because you are pushed up and bump against one of these beams, very annoying when you have the flag
- the large area won´t be a problem for beginners but it will definitely be one for persons who are shot by a Nex (Oh wait, no Nex there? Then forget what I said!)

I keep my Todo list up to date. No need to repost an acknowledged problem, but thanks for trying the map.

I was going to release beta 2 this morning but it seems that the mappers think differently from our distinguished pickup player, and so I am inclined to work on it more. I can't help but wonder who's right...

Cortez666 Wrote:remove the red base and blue base on the walls they are hardly visible.
Added lights.

Lots of changes coming in beta 2, specifically concerning item placement and map layout; it would be appreciated if any further comments regarding these two things would be held until then.

Thank you for testing, Smile

Hmm the wood looks nice.

Due to conflicting reports on tactics and layout, I have gone so far as to produce a beta "1.5" which has the same layout as beta 1, but with fixed stairs, item placement, z-fighting, added lights, and added Ons support. Beta 2 also has these fixes plus a back way into the base, similar to apace.

Beta "1.5", without changed layout: http://ompldr.org/vOWxucw/psychward_ctf_b1.5.pk3

Beta 2, with changed layout: http://ompldr.org/l20dtnn1s-psychward_ctf_b2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,668 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,150 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS] nowego4 31 32,498 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mario