Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] Suggestion| more user friendly interface

Hey there i"m new here.
i have played Nexuiz all before i heard about Xonotic...
and some day i show the game to my friends and they won't be able to start a basic game Confused

they say to me that the main menu is to rich and complicated..
well i think that is will be very cool if Xonotic will have a rich but more user friendly interface... something more like team fortress 2.
i can help with design because i"m a photoshop artist (pretty much).
i'd like to help improve the game Blush

and btw i have development skills (Java/OpenGL/Web).

Do you agree with me ?
Do you agree that friendly interface will be cool ?

The menu is user friendly imo
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Yes, I also think that the menu is already very userfriendly. Very strange thing that your friends don´t know how to start a game.

TF2 is a hat simulator for kiddies. Of course they have excelled at simplifying game interface to please even the most retarded users.
I wonder what kind of trouble those guys got into. There's a server browser on the right side, map selector on the left. What can confuse new user so much that he won't be able to double-click on a desired server (or click on the Join button) to connect?

I see no need to change the interface. Your friends are able to read, no?

I actually kind of agree that it should be easier to "start a basic game".

The Instant Action option isn't very fun at all (random map, random bots, no customization), and the idea of going to the server browser to start a new server to connect to your own server so you can play a custom botmatch is really unintuitive. I think that the "Single Player" menu should have an option to customize a botmatch (number of bots, mutators, difficulty, maps, etc.) as well as the Instant Action option, and that players should only ever have to use the server creation menu if they want to play multiplayer with friends.

http://clip2net.com/clip/m58111/13114355...p-74kb.jpg

Seriously now. What's so complicated here?
Choose the mode. Choose the map. Set up some obvious options like timelimit. Check mutators in the corresponding window if you want to use some. Start.
Well, maybe this should be duplicated or moved into single player menu. Other than that, I see no real hindrances here.

Sure TF2's interface is simpler... but also more limited because of it. Also I don't think that the create option should be moved to singleplayer window, because you _are_ starting a server, that others on the LAN can connect to. For the majority of its use, it is being used as single player, but does it make sense to go to singleplayer window to set up a server for you and your friends to play on?

Something we could do is put at the beginning or end of the singleplayer missions a message like "To set up your own game with your own parameters, go to the 'Multiplayer' window and click on the 'Create' tab." because honestly singleplayer should be the first thing new players click on, if they go online right away they should expect to get owned.

[offtopic]
The problem with TF2 and most the other commercial games it that they want to appease new players into buying the game, but don't really care about players sticking to it. So they put an artificial cap on the skill level that can be attained, and so when new players join up right away they don't get beat so bad and pretty soon they're doing ok. But then they'll reach the skill cap and get mad when someone new can do as much damage as they can and they can't do a thing about it.

By skill cap, I mean what Xonotic was leaning toward a while back. the inability to pick up items when full (thus preventing item control), the nerfing of precision weapons (because it takes more experience to use them effectively than say, the mg), the nerfing of the laser push (because it takes more experience to laser correctly), stuff like that. Thankfully we have turned away from that, we have our laser back, most of our nex, and part of our physics back (actually I like our physics better than nexuiz's).
[/offtopic]

And if they find the interface to complicated they can always just use the console Tongue

(07-23-2011, 11:21 AM)nowego4 Wrote: And if they find the interface to complicated they can always just use the console Tongue

hhhh yes you're right with that.
i"m still thinking that is need a little change... well i think that i will do it by my self and if you will like it you can use it Big Grin

the game is OpenSource after so i can my some mods Tongue

Yet I doubt you'll go far with sole Java skills. As far as I'm aware, knowledge of C and QC/CSQC is required for modifying pretty much everything in Xonotic.

(07-23-2011, 02:41 PM)Lord Canistra Wrote: Yet I doubt you'll go far with sole Java skills. As far as I'm aware, knowledge of C and QC/CSQC is required for modifying pretty much everything in Xonotic.

lol, I do not plan to rewrite all the game.
i just wanna remake the main interface.
its required some design skills and basic programming skills and btw i learned C++ in the school as my first programming language but i use Java because i dislike C/C++ Undecided

(07-23-2011, 11:27 AM)Ros Wrote: i"m still thinking that is need a little change... well i think that i will do it by my self and if you will like it you can use it Big Grin

the game is OpenSource after so i can my some mods Tongue

Go for it!

Now VOTING interface, that should be made graphical. [/ot]
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(07-25-2011, 01:27 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Now VOTING interface, that should be made graphical. [/ot]

+1
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(07-25-2011, 01:27 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Now VOTING interface, that should be made graphical. [/ot]

Yeah!

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1759
Fat.bot.Slim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [QoL] Disable hearing your own SFXs so you can focus more on what matters lerh050 0 630 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lerh050
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Difficulty met during Translation work, and suggestion NaitLee 3 1,394 08-08-2022, 08:03 AM
Last Post: NaitLee
  [SUGGESTION] Making Vanilla more enjoyable for Newbies Halogene 66 36,588 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Suggestion for empty servers fool 4 5,033 06-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,419 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,141 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] need more sunny maps like Solarium zwz 15 14,445 10-25-2015, 01:01 AM
  [SUGGESTION] a sub-forum for user and game server admin communication BuddyFriendGuy 6 5,408 09-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: improvements that don't sacrifice gameplay lamefun 24 26,603 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Drauts
Sad [SUGGESTION] There should be more improvement (should be added yet) Eonman 5 4,880 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ogger73