Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i need help with an assault map

Tongue 
Assault map, final version with better lights

Here is the new version: http://ompldr.org/vYTMzbg

I need to check if the difficulty is ok, if its easy enough for attackers to finish the map. I don't want a map where the defenders will always win.

The second part of the map has low performance Undecided

The 'final version' build made the pk3 huge, from 10mb of the usual version to 22mb on this version and anyway i don't like how the xonotic maps look with high and ultra settings Confused

Well, thats it. Ideas, suggestions and everything will be well received and will be of great help.
We need more assault maps and if you help me with this one i'll soon start with the next (i already have some ideas fo it). Big Grin

I dont know about the technical problems but I did give the map a run through (by myself as attacker (apparently bots don't know how to play assault))

(attacking)
The front part looks and functions pretty well although I would add some cover that has a roof (idk if the blue team can see someone hiding behind a triangle)
The second part is amazing Big Grin Although are the explosives on the ceiling supposed to do something?
The third part I actually found rather plain.... I would like if it had more obstacles and other interesting things.

(defending)
First part works fine.
For the 2nd part it took me a while to find the teleporter. Perhaps making it more obvious (like a warpzone would be nice)
The third part is about the same for defending...

-it is impossible to get the hagar at the end of the first part because the player has no laser to jump
-the weapons are clustered too close together... it is too easy for a noob to accidentally grab them all

Overall it is a very nice assault map. keep up the good work Big Grin

(08-06-2011, 09:34 AM)hutty Wrote: I dont know about the technical problems but I did give the map a run through (by myself as attacker (apparently bots don't know how to play assault))

Yeah, i tried to add waypoint but i gave up because bots are just stupid for that mode.

Quote:(attacking)
The front part looks and functions pretty well although I would add some cover that has a roof (idk if the blue team can see someone hiding behind a triangle)

There are triangles of different sizes, the only ones that don't provide you enough cover are the smallest ones, these are the closest to the doors so that attackers can't just hide and destroy the door from behind of one of them.

Quote:The second part is amazing Big Grin Although are the explosives on the ceiling supposed to do something?

They open the red gates at the floor. Inside of each of those gates you will find a jumpad that sends you almost to the top.

You can stand over the red gates before opening them and a message will show up.

Quote:The third part I actually found rather plain.... I would like if it had more obstacles and other interesting things.

Yeah, it is not finished, thats why its plain.
Right now i'm working on it.
It'll have 4 warpzones for attackers so that they can attack from all the sides.
On the version you have defenders can easily protect the core, after adding the warpzones they will have to keep an eye on the 4 sides and not only in on one.

Also i'll add boxes and obstacles to make it look less plain.

Quote:(defending)
First part works fine.
For the 2nd part it took me a while to find the teleporter. Perhaps making it more obvious (like a warpzone would be nice)

I've noticed that. Maybe i'll change the spawnpoints of the defenders on that second part to somewhere closer to the doors so that they dont miss it.

I can't use a warpzone because the teleporter sends you to a different place everytime and warpzones can only send you to one place.
I'll change the texture of it so that it's easier to see it.

Quote:-it is impossible to get the hagar at the end of the first part because the player has no laser to jump
(it's not a hagar, its a nex)

That's the idea, a weapon that you'd love to have in your hands but that you probably won't ever have.
Anyway, its not impossible at all, if you are fast enough you can trick jump with the ramp on the entrance but that doesn't happen a lot Wink

Quote:-the weapons are clustered too close together... it is too easy for a noob to accidentally grab them all

I tried to think of someway to avoid noobs to grab all the weapons but the only thing i could do was set the respawning time of the weapons to 10 seconds.

Quote:Overall it is a very nice assault map. keep up the good work Big Grin

Thanks!!!!
Btw, would you help me with a name for the map? I have no idea of how to call it Tongue

(08-06-2011, 10:59 AM)forseti Wrote: Yeah, i tried to add waypoint but i gave up because bots are just stupid for that mode.

there is no bot support for the assault yet.
for them its just dm.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Don't worry about the weapon's being clustered together, the game-mode should use as default weaponstay ON so that you will NOT have this problem. Smile

Anyone who say's otherwise, has not played the game-mode enough!

You need to make it like this with the weapon's clustered, or quite close to each other, otherwise it take's too long to get too point's to defend (as found on when first played techassault with weapon respawn time being set to like 10).

I will download this when I get back home tonight, and have a look around it Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

as for name.... how about something with landing... in it like

- first landing
- final landing
- eternal landing
etc

... just a suggestion ...

(08-09-2011, 12:13 AM)hutty Wrote: as for name.... how about something with landing... in it like

- first landing
- final landing
- eternal landing
etc

... just a suggestion ...

I think that i will use that word for another map Wink

How about "assault line"?
Meaning is here: Assault line

New version comming soon, almost 9000 brushes and 1300 entities. Maybe adding detail would be a bad idea.... Tongue

maybe... but your map is indoor... as long as it is optimized correctly detail wouldn't hurt its performance much (i dont think it would at least...)

the only part that really needed detail was the third section anyways

But if your really tired of working on it... it would be fine as is

(08-14-2011, 05:39 PM)hutty Wrote: maybe... but your map is indoor... as long as it is optimized correctly detail wouldn't hurt its performance much (i dont think it would at least...)

the only part that really needed detail was the third section anyways

But if your really tired of working on it... it would be fine as is

The problem is not optimizing but compiling.

Right now i'm getting this error:

--- CreatePassages (42690) ---
0...1...2...3...4...5...6..************ ERROR ************
safe_malloc failed on allocation of 5352 bytes

On all the final builds, if i add more detail i wont be able to build it even at:
Q3Map2: (test) BSP, -vis -fast, -light low

If i add more brushes and entities the problem will get worst and worst.

Right now i just want to optimize it to get more fps in game. No more changes will be applied.

Soon i'll share you this final unoptimized version but before that i'll ask for some help at xonotic.editing

This error has actually something to do with the lighting. You should set the lightmapscale in the worldspawn settings higher. A lower value than 0.25 will affect this error. Also look at the lightmapsize in the compile settings, it shouldn´t be higher than 1024 (default is 128).

To optmize your performance you should learn something about VIS in general. This site may help you: Advanced Portal and Hinting Optimization Tutorial

(08-15-2011, 07:29 AM)Maddin Wrote: This error has actually something to do with the lighting. You should set the lightmapscale in the worldspawn settings higher. A lower value than 0.25 will affect this error. Also look at the lightmapsize in the compile settings, it shouldn´t be higher than 1024 (default is 128).

To optmize your performance you should learn something about VIS in general. This site may help you: Advanced Portal and Hinting Optimization Tutorial

You've saved my map's life!!! Tongue

The error was actually during the vis process. Since all the brushes were structural i had 40'000 portals so... but now i have about 10'000 and i can compile the vis part without problems.

About the lights... i have problems Confused

I tried a fast solution increasing the lightmapscale of the map to 1.0 but it didn't help.

Can you tell me more about lightmapsize or point me out to a tutorial about it? Angel

I was reading this but i don't know if it would help: http://sgq3-mapping.blogspot.com/2009/01...htmap.html

I don´t know a tutorial at the moment but I always use "_lightmapscale 0.25" in the worldspawn and "-lightmapsize 1024" in the compile settings. Never had any problems. But I think it also depends on your machine settings, especially the processor. I use a dual core at 2.2GHz...

NEW VERSION RELEASED!!!!!

Read details on the first post

----

(08-17-2011, 12:57 PM)Maddin Wrote: I don´t know a tutorial at the moment but I always use "_lightmapscale 0.25" in the worldspawn and "-lightmapsize 1024" in the compile settings. Never had any problems. But I think it also depends on your machine settings, especially the processor. I use a dual core at 2.2GHz...

No use. I still have problems, i had to build with a huge samplesize and the results are quite obvious... horrible lights, shadows and a lot of dark places.

I have a phenom II x2 555 3.2ghz Tongue

If you wanna try to build the map the file is included on the pk3 maybe you can find a better solution than removing lights Undecided

Ok i downloaded the map. Opened it with NetRadiant and I got shocked, really shocked. Don´t get me wrong but this map is waaaaaaaayyy to big, bigger than everything I saw until now. Then I tried to compile it and it broke my computer!Undecided

A tip: Build a map which has a good brush work, not just a chaos of boxes and so on... I just don´t know how to describe it now.

Sorry, that I criticized your map so much, but I don´t think that you should finish this one. It´ll go the wrong way...

(08-19-2011, 10:03 AM)Maddin Wrote: Ok i downloaded the map. Opened it with NetRadiant and I got shocked, really shocked. Don´t get me wrong but this map is waaaaaaaayyy to big, bigger than everything I saw until now. Then I tried to compile it and it broke my computer!Undecided

A tip: Build a map which has a good brush work, not just a chaos of boxes and so on... I just don´t know how to describe it now.

Sorry, that I criticized your map so much, but I don´t think that you should finish this one. It´ll go the wrong way...

Hahahaha, i don't think its big. Big maps are the MikeeUSA maps. It feels like a big map because of the way it is built but if it were a cube you'd see that its not that big. It is long but it doesn't have different floors. The only part of the map that extends on the z-axis is small in the x and y-axis. All i can do is make the outside smaller Tongue

Anyway I think how big it is doesn't really matter as long as you get good fps and since every part of the map is perfectly divided you will always get at good fps.
Also, did you noticed it was big before checking the .map file? The idea is that the players can enjoy the maps. How difficult or how much time it took us to create them is not important. If players like it, if they play it, if they enjoy it that's the important thing, isn't that so?

I think that Assault is a very different game mode and small maps just won't work for it. Assault mode should not be only like "frag everyone", options are needed, if you only have one or 2 ways to attack the objective or if you can protect it just by standing in a place it wont be fun.

About the boxes... i've been thinking about remove most of them outside and add a structure so that the attackers can hide and sneak better.
Oh, and its not "a chaos of boxes" is just a lack of imagination on my part Tongue

Ok. Big Grin The actual problem why you can´t use such commands to make better shadows is that your map is just too big, or in other words the brushes are too big.

First post updated.

I built NetRadinat for linux and i had no problems building there. On Windows i was building 'final: fast lights + nobounce' and on linux i built it with 'final: fast light'

This change made the pk3 go from 10mb to 22mb Sad

On the second part you can get low fps if you are in the bottom and you look to the ceiling but its playable.

I'll wait a week, if no major problems are found i'll post the map on 'map releases and reviews'

I saw some pictures on nexuizninjaz that I think are yours, wanted to add some tips for detail.

One of the best ways to add detail to hallways and corridors is to add "ribs". Like an "n" made out of beams for support. generally you'll want to slope the sides of these so players don't get stuck on them.

Adding detail outdoors: I use patches. This keeps it from looking flat and man-made like any crates, boxes or other sharp-edged items that may be around. Use multiple patches it you want different textures. Also patches allow you to role them over the edge so it doesn't look like the world just stopped.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Need modelling help. _para 3 1,093 03-17-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: anoob
  need modeling help MusicGoat 5 2,973 08-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  Help, how I create a new texture for mapping? derrant 9 4,874 09-02-2021, 05:08 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  Texture and Player Model Creation Help Molnija 5 4,976 09-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Gravity help Molnija 4 2,632 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Waypoints Help TapX 10 5,861 08-07-2018, 06:59 AM
Last Post: TapX
  Jump pad help. TapX 1 1,701 06-23-2018, 05:04 AM
Last Post: _para
  NetRadiant Spawn points help. TapX 18 9,027 06-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Garux
  I need help with textures. [Solved] TapX 5 4,165 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM