Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Baaad ping

Update: Tried the connection with a LAN cable but there isn´t a big difference. I still got a really bad ping and often a huge amount of package loss.

So what now?

win xp has an annoying function that could cause problems with WLAN connections.
When i used win xp, i had problems with lags.
http://www.chip.de/downloads/Wireless-Ze...27038.html

This program help me a lot there, maybe its also useful with ping issues.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I preferably use Gentoo, which is Linux. Tongue

I have to say it again: My ping to websites (i.e. google) is good (about 30) but in games it is really bad.

Perhaps you have misconfigured your system and it cannot handle much traffic load.
Or you have forgotten to configure something...
Or gentoo does not handle your LAN card correctly... Huh

if you changed some settings in or switched to gentoo in the last weeks Tongue

Also why do you ping google? Why dont u just ping the Xonotic Server?

Also ping uses TCP and the Xonotic game UDP ...

To avoid that it is gentoo. perhaps try another distro, or another OS?.. (with another Computer?)

Or is your router broken? and cannot handle much load anymore?

Thaaat many possibilities Tongue

It'sMe Wrote:Perhaps you have misconfigured your system and it cannot handle much traffic load.
Or you have forgotten to configure something...
Or gentoo does not handle your LAN card correctly...
Maybe, but which could be the fault there?

It'sMe Wrote:Also why do you ping google? Why dont u just ping the Xonotic Server?

Also ping uses TCP and the Xonotic game UDP ...
I tried it out and ping is about 20ms to 85.25.108.150. That sounds good, nevertheless my ping ingame is way worse.

It'sMe Wrote:To avoid that it is gentoo. perhaps try another distro, or another OS?.. (with another Computer?)
Oh dear! I won´t switch again to another distro, Ubuntu 11.04 (i.e.) wasn´t very good and too slow, so I finally got Gentoo (recommended and built from my brother).

It'sMe Wrote:Or is your router broken? and cannot handle much load anymore?
That´s definitely not the case. The router isn´t broken and brand new. Every person in the house hasn´t such a high ping ingame as I have.

Quote:
It'sMe Wrote:To avoid that it is gentoo. perhaps try another distro, or another OS?.. (with another Computer?)
Oh dear! I won´t switch again to another distro, Ubuntu 11.04 (i.e.) wasn´t very good and too slow, so I finally got Gentoo (recommended and built from my brother).

Neither you have to swith to another distro nor you have to delete gentoo.
You could run a live cd mount your partition with xonotic and run it for testing as an example...

Quote:
It'sMe Wrote:Or is your router broken? and cannot handle much load anymore?
That´s definitely not the case. The router isn´t broken and brand new. Every person in the house hasn´t such a high ping ingame as I have.

All what you have written so far sounds to me that your computer causes such high pings...

That the computer itself could be the problem is also a possible option... not that my components are old but the processor reached once temperatures over 100°C! The motherboard, the processor and the RAM are from a friend (he used them before), so I don´t know exactly what he did with it.

This is an example how it looks ingame:
[Image: xonotic000005.th.jpg]
I really don´t know what to do now, I´m just desperated. If this goes on (which will be the case when I don´t find a solution) then this would mean that I never can play Xonotic again with you nice guys and that would be terrible!

Did you try to play other games?

A friend of mine had such problems too. His problem was that the internet for his his computer somehow had no priority. If someone else used the internet he also got huge pings like you. Only if really nobody else used the internet, he could normally play, maybe something like that happens with you too. Check out if you still have such ping when really nobody is using the internet.

Try other games on the same computer and xonotic on another computer on the same network.

In other games my ping isn´t the best too (about 100-400) and it is "playable". Theoretically I should have a ping of about 30, which was the case before 1,5 months. I tested other games also on Windows XP (I have two OS on my computer) where I have exactly the same problem as on Gentoo.

Playing Xonotic on my Laptop works fine concerning the ping but it isn´t a real gaming machine. Also other persons in my house with the same network don´t have any problems.

I think they ARE the problem, if you have what that friend of mine had, you will have huge pings when they do things on the internet. Just normal browsing can even make you lag then.

He has three computers, and only one had that problem, ehm, still has. I think you have the same.

Perhaps it's your network driver that can't handle the load... I'm not sure if this still affects the amount of packets, but can you try lowering cl_netfps?

@Mepper: I don´t think that this is the problem. As I wrote before I already tested that out...

@Mr. Bougo: How do I do that exactly?

In the console in xonotic, type cl_netfps, see what the value is (I think 60 is the default?) and change it to 20 or 30 by typing cl_netfps 20 for example.

Don't forget to restore it after that.

i haz a big ping!

pre empt shitz ftw.

playing high ping servers is a great way to practise imo.

t

:^

It is better now with cl_netfps 20 but nevertheless I sometimes got an extremely high ping. So the problem isn´t really solved yet...

It must be your hardware / drivers that cause the problem. You say that other games lag too, so you should ask some gentoo forums for help.
What are your networking chips' specs?

EDIT: also, what OS did you use to test xonotic on other computers on your network, and what graphics driver do you use?

My system stats:
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+
- 2Gb RAM
- ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Mainboard
- nvidia GTS250 Graphics card
- TP-LINK TL-WN551G WLAN card

It may be interesting for you that the processor was overclocked (not consciously) and reached temperatures over 100°C.

This afternoon I played some nice matches with a ping of about 50-100. That´s ok but not the standard.

I tested Xonotic on Windows XP 32bit (the same computer) so far and when I´ve got time the next days then I´ll try testing it on my brothers computer (Windows 7 64bit).

What driver do you use for your nvidia card?

Eh... I don´t know. Blush How can I find that out?

lsmod | grep nouveau
lsmod | grep nvidia

One of them should output a line, which one is what matters.

The max temp for that cpu is around 70c iirc, so your bad ping could quite possibly be the cpu slowing down to avoid frying and then starving the network driver for cpu time. Undo the overclocking (sounds like its fed WAY to much vcore to me, if you want to just tune it down instead of going with default speeds) and try again, or get better a cooling solution.

And clean up the fan and ventilation holes if it's super dusty.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] Wierd ping issues. aa 5 5,843 03-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer