Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Add stereo vision to the menu!

Woo! Nineties fun!

I'll post a tracker entry too. The general suggestion is to add the option for stereoscopic/anaglyph 3D in the menu, so that people won't have to pull up the console every time they want to use this.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Stereoscopic on /off
Colours used
Colour separation

Hidden somewhere in an 'Advanced' menu. Some of the current menu could also be hidden in an 'Advanced' section.

New info: It is done. Now to the more important part: make it save.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

ok seriously, noone will use this. i would call that a proof-of-concept-feature, but nothing that whould be visible in the main build.

True, but then again, it was already there. I just added the code to make the menu option for r_stereo_redcyan. Now I should just get it to save.

If it's in there already I don't see the problem with having in enable-able from the options menu regardless of how often it gets used.

Isn't it possible to do stereo vision using a cross-eyed method like what you get when you use special glasses on current HDTVs? If so, that option should be thrown in as 3D in games is actually becoming more popular than it should. Also someone should add a warning to the 3D feature warning you that the user may: get dizzy, pass out, puke, end up in the emergency room! if they try using it lol. No seriously, I tried playing ioQuake3 with red/cyan 3D glasses and got so dizzy I nearly passed out lol
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(11-13-2011, 04:35 PM)D_W Wrote: If it's in there already I don't see the problem with having in enable-able from the options menu regardless of how often it gets used.

as there were numerous attempts to unclutter the menus and reduce them to the options that are actually used (which is a very good idea imo), this is certainly the wrong way to go.

Being someone that really wonders about the hype being made about 3D, I also highly doubt that 3D vision will be used by many players. Those who really want to enable it probably are nerds anyway and will find out how to enable it via console, trust me Tongue
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Technically, my video card supports it and can even output such video to HDMI. The problems are, I don't have a 3D TV, and that this method is not coded into the engine, and I personally can't code it in. Also, this may require separate code for nVidia and ATI, and we don't really know if Linux drivers for those cards support that or not.

We should, when it works fine, definetely put this in the menu. No matter if people use it or not. People will think Red-Cyan AnaWUT?? Try it out and they see it's 3D, and they will think this game is very good because it can handle 3D.

P.S. Most people (including me Tongue) don't know what red cyan anaglyph is. (I only know it because people said 3D.)

Ok, let me make some things clear Smile

I don't want to turn down anybody's hopes, but this isn't something that worthy to implement in the menu. It has a few reasons, why.
First of, it'd require much more menu space you think. DP offers three rendering choises: redblue, redcyan, and redgreen anaglyph stereo. Though it's widely called "red-blue anaglyph stereo", in fact most of the glasses you can buy are either really red-cyan, or red-green (these stuff are really cheap btw, if you have a laser/hologram shop near you, you can definately buy one of these things, it's around 1 EUR or so). So to set the correct clor combination, you have to make a slider.
It has a small performance hit, however, not as much as you'd might imagine. DP has to render the whole scene twice, but thanks to DP's animation caching, it's not that hard.
It might be cool in the beginning, but sometimes your depth-perception will be tricked - you'll miss a lot with weapons
There's a cvar (I can't remember now) that can shift the two views more or less, for personal eye-width calibration. I remember I had to tinker with this, because the default settings were bad for me. Bummer. So, you need a slider here too.
Also, the most disturbing thing, that'll make a lot people hate this thing, is a side effect on your eyes: after a few minutes, your eyes will start to adopt to the color filters, and when you take off the glass, you'll have color filtered vision even without the glasses! This'll go away after a few minutes, but it's really disturbing while it lasts. Also, some people might get nausea too.

Though it's an interesting feature (I plan to either make a youtube video or tons of screenshots with anaglyph stereo for xonotic.org), it's really something that's not worthy to feature in the menu. But I agree, this should be better documented, so people will see, we have this one too Big Grin
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Setting all the sliders in place to actually pull this off would be neat, though it definitely isn't worth the effort at the moment given how rarely people will actually use it.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Maybe it could be put into a submenu (e.g. "Advanced Tweaks") along with some other things (see thread "Subtle Performance Tweaks"). I actually like anaglyph stereo mode, I once disabled it in Q2, then forgot how to disable it (which is a good reason to have it in the menu) and now I always play Q2 in stereo, as it rocks, although you need to get used to it for a couple of minutes. However, anaglyph should be combined with certain effects presets, as lots of settings don't actually matter in anaglyph mode or look even stranger.
"If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of shit, because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?" - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] relaxed main menu Kotangens 3 3,242 08-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [SUGGESTION] Add pickup bot to official IRC channel? poVoq 2 2,012 06-12-2020, 02:13 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  [SUGGESTION] Please update the menu UI. liquidjerome 5 4,267 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SUGGESTION] TIPS THAT ARE NOT IN Xonotic Menu Beagle 4 4,890 06-12-2016, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Add "FPS" to .desktop Launcher electricprism 1 2,689 05-22-2015, 01:33 AM
Last Post: machine!
  [SUGGESTION] Add r_showsurfaces 3 as a checkbox in the settings GUI unfa 6 11,152 06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] Subfolders for the demo menu Smilecythe 3 4,617 02-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] My Variables Menu Idea rocknroll237 11 10,885 01-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Last Post: rocknroll237
Star [SUGGESTION] Another Menu rainerzufalldererste 11 14,236 12-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Samual
Video [SUGGESTION] FOTM at Menu rainerzufalldererste 10 9,504 07-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste