Create an account

Poll: Skillmatching?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
0%
0 0%
Yes, but this solution needs changes.
29.41%
5 29.41%
Yes, but this solution is no good at all.
5.88%
1 5.88%
Waste of time.
64.71%
11 64.71%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Skillmatching

All those exclusion pentalties are not necessary. Just make them similar to what we could see on newbie Nexuiz servers - for instance, player damage weakens with every kill he gets, making it harder to get huge killstreaks and butcher lower-leveled players. If we have ranking system, penalties could be based on it.

Haven't you read what I wrote?

(09-21-2011, 06:36 AM)killgenerals Wrote:
(09-21-2011, 06:14 AM)Halogene Wrote: Only thing I can think of would be to make raping players fullbright and forcibly increasing their handicap server side after warning.
That's what the server in question does. Doesn't help. The pros still rock the server. Ask Maddin for his experiences as a victim.

It doesn't help. The skilled players are still way stronger.

EDIT: I actually looked it up. That particular server has a 10% damage decrease for every kill and a 10%damage increase for everytime you got killed.
Here. Just one example of one player who isn't even the worst: click for stats!
Look at the Beginner column. Mind the K/D-ratio and his killingsprees. Last game was in april, which isn't quite true, since he changed his nick to something with a tag in it and the stat-tracker stopped tracking for this nick. This is another nick he played and this is another player.

(09-21-2011, 06:36 AM)killgenerals Wrote: Ask Maddin for his experiences as a victim.
Oh wait! Why am I a victim now?Huh

Am I mistaking you for someone else? Are you not Alphawolf?

I am Alphawolf, yes. And well, I wasn´t the best player when I played Nexuiz and Jeff was the one who fragged me everytime on the beginner server. But you didn´t mean that, do you?

Oh god, now go ahead and stabb me in the back! Big Grin

Dude you and your friends were struggeling on the beginners against those guys... and after I banned them in your presense one of you said something like "where were you when i really sucked and needed them kicked?"
You seriously want to tell me now, that you enjoyed that? That I am imagining you guys suffering from those blokes?

Can´t remember that some of us said that and you kicked them but never mind. I don´t play Nexuiz anymore, those guys there only use the Nex -> boring! (we are getting offtopic btw)

Indeed we do. So guys: nevermind Maddin, he was no victim and liked it Big Grin
But anyway. I showed you the stats. If you think that this is ok, then we can go ahead and use the handicap system on the noob-server.

Hey I just voted for "Yes, but this solution is no good at all.", because there's a popularity issue and excluding beginners from playing against skilled players would result in playing against bots. How about automatically adjusting the handicap of skilled players within a match? They would still win the match in the end, but beginners would have more fun to play the game.
"If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of shit, because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?" - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Well, maybe I should try some different approach.
let's say on the server browser window there will be an extra button called "find me a match". Tricky name, huh?

I want to say that I don't want any skillmatching to PREVENT YOU FROM PLAYING WITH MORE SKILLED THAN YOU ARE.

I only want to give players the ability to not play with those, if they feel bad about it.

So a little button I mentioned would perform a scan, and try to find a game where the player should find comparably skilled players and automatically join the selected game.
Also a little message box would be nice to tell the player what was found, or that nothing was found.

Blah, blah.

.png   findmeamatch.png (Size: 4.12 KB / Downloads: 34)
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

While frags-deaths-time type calculations could work for basic death match-like modes your asking for all sorts of pain when expending this to more complex modes like ctf or key-hunt. And just having it for plain dm sorta sux too. Generally speaking the score of a player should be this skill value, but making that even close to representative of real skill level is quite hard. Dont get me wrong, i like the idea and would welcome this feature - i just want to highlight that it has to deal with more then frags/deaths/time to work right.

I got a new idea to measure the skill level, check this thread:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2337
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain