Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] text file viewer

I wonder if it is possible to implement a text viewer to be able to see our config files from the console, a kind of "cat" command used in command line. I do not know if the work is worth it.

You can use your notepad to read .cfg files.

Lol

Smile

(10-05-2011, 11:28 AM)Mepper Wrote: You can use your notepad to read .cfg files.

Lol

Smile
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! :-)
I mean inside the game :-P Alt+tab from fullscreen to windows mode takes an internity to switch game to desktop or desktop to game and to fullscreen. the "ls" command works already to see files name so why not a text viewer if it is easy to implement in the game code.

There could be security issues with a "cat" command, which is why we once rejected the idea.

Note that the server can entirely control the console via CSQC or via stuffcmd, and also we have multi-user rcon. All of these can run console commands, possibly get output - apart from tab completion's output. This is why the console is so restricted. And "cat" would provide a way to show the currently set rcon password on screen, for which there is currently no way (as the cvar display refuses to show it). This also means, a rcon user can retrieve all other valid rcon passwords by a single command.

This is why special keybinds (e.g. tab completion) currently are the only way to show rcon_password. And it should stay that way.

However, coding a text editor control for menuqc would not be dangerous in such a way. Only a lot of work to do Tongue It would be a very welcome addition for sure...
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Thank you enlighten me on this subject

I thought you couldn't read .cfg files Tongue

I thought I finally could help someone lol

(10-06-2011, 12:17 AM)divVerent Wrote: However, coding a text editor control for menuqc would not be dangerous in such a way. Only a lot of work to do Tongue It would be a very welcome addition for sure...

Why would it be such a good feature to have? What kind of things we can do with it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DISCUSSION] IPFS File Hosting/Downloads? Antares* 5 4,794 07-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SUGGESTION] demo file browser Rage_ATWM 6 6,216 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Sarge999
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] xonotic does text to speech when somebody caps! teams 10 7,874 05-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Roanoke