Create an account

Poll: Tremulous in Xonotic
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
25.93%
7 25.93%
No!
40.74%
11 40.74%
Neutral
33.33%
9 33.33%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Onslaught - Improved!

(04-04-2010, 05:17 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(04-01-2010, 04:06 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: Basically, there's two teams who try to destroy each other's bases.
So basically, onslaught with no control points, just generators.

Not quite. I don't want to completely change ONS, just to add more attacking/defending features (like weapon upgrades or turrets) that exist in Tremulous.

(04-04-2010, 05:17 PM)Roanoke Wrote: The reason nobody plays it is because of lack of servers. You think anybody plays anything except for CTF and DM? Hell, even CA is hardly ever played. I am totally certain that if a popular server became an ONS server (think one HOCTF server), it would retain much popularity.

I agree - I just checked the server list and there aren't any ONS servers :/. But I definitely remember an ONS server in the past. Which leads me to ask - if ONS is fine as it is, why wasn't that server ever used?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(04-04-2010, 05:40 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: Not quite. I don't want to completely change ONS, just to add more attacking/defending features (like weapon upgrades or turrets) that exist in Tremulous.
That's making it a totally different game.

(04-04-2010, 05:40 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: I agree - I just checked the server list and there aren't any ONS servers :/. But I definitely remember an ONS server in the past. Which leads me to ask - if ONS is fine as it is, why wasn't that server ever used?
Two possible reasons - A. not enough players in the area, and/or B. Crowded out by DM and CTF servers with high playerlimits (I think that if every server reduced playerlimits from 20 to 16, you'd find a lot of players looking for new places to play). A large network of smallish servers is what I think is best for xonotic.
Or even per-map playerlimits - so depending on the map, more/less players can be admitted. Players could be kicked at random or forced to spec if the map limit is smaller than the current amount of people on the server. This could be integrated with a waiting list.

(04-04-2010, 06:42 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(04-04-2010, 05:40 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: Not quite. I don't want to completely change ONS, just to add more attacking/defending features (like weapon upgrades or turrets) that exist in Tremulous.
That's making it a totally different game.

Yes, but very few people would know or even care that it's different, because the majority of Nexuiz players have never played ONS often enough. Also, why would adding an upgrade system (e.g. buying armour or a jetpack after x kills) and defensive turrets make ONS a "totally different game"?

You seem to have become a strong pessimist about this whole project. I don't know exactly what brought this on, but remember that not every idea is a good one. Not every idea is worthy to be implemented. Learn from the bad ones, and move on.

An upgrade system like that is totally novel and not seen in nexuiz before. And buying upgrades screws the bad players over.

(04-05-2010, 11:34 AM)Roanoke Wrote: You seem to have become a strong pessimist about this whole project. I don't know exactly what brought this on, but remember that not every idea is a good one. Not every idea is worthy to be implemented. Learn from the bad ones, and move on.

An upgrade system like that is totally novel and not seen in nexuiz before. And buying upgrades screws the bad players over.

Well, I tend to be pessimistic about everything Undecided

I'm not saying my idea is the ultimate solution to everything - after all, it is only an idea.

I just don't get why people are against updating ONS. Don't they know that it's never played? Why are they against something that could make it more popular?

Also, I don't think upgrades would be too unfair on newer players - they can be awarded some points for dealing at least some damage on players/control points/turrets.

The reason it's not played has been explained above. I won't rewrite it.
Again, if one HOCTF server became an ONS server, I'm sure that it would retain a lot of traffic.
Even then, making random changes in the hopes of making it better won't make it better.

(04-05-2010, 12:54 PM)Roanoke Wrote: The reason it's not played has been explained above. I won't rewrite it.
Again, if one HOCTF server became an ONS server, I'm sure that it would retain a lot of traffic.
Even then, making random changes in the hopes of making it better won't make it better.

Maybe there could be two versions of ONS - the current one, AND one with more offensive/defensive elements. That way, everyone's happy Big Grin

I played the game, and it seems like a nice concept.

However, it's really depressing to play after a while. The aliens always win.

It seems that whenever someone joins the humans, they lose their ability to think strategically.
Almost nobody builds anything, they just grab a gun and go off blasting aliens, leaving the base defenseless, and then they wonder why their spawn points are destroyed.

Turrets are built in such a way that they hinder movement, nobody bothers to repair anything but the reactor and God help you if you DARE build a defense computer.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(04-07-2010, 05:45 PM)Silverburn Wrote: I played the game, and it seems like a nice concept.

However, it's really depressing to play after a while. The aliens always win.

It seems that whenever someone joins the humans, they lose their ability to think strategically.
Almost nobody builds anything, they just grab a gun and go off blasting aliens, leaving the base defenseless, and then they wonder why their spawn points are destroyed.

Turrets are built in such a way that they hinder movement, nobody bothers to repair anything but the reactor and God help you if you DARE build a defense computer.

Hmm, maybe Tremulous is a bit too strategic for a fps Tongue

I don't think ONS should go into as much depth as defence computers or spawn points, but at least some turrets and maybe an armoury, just to spice things up a little Smile

reasons why onslaught is not played
  1. giant, obstructive waypoints, on map with many control points it start to get ridiculous because they are placed all over your screen
  2. you are spawned at random available waypoint, it leads to situation that you die, and have to cross whole map without meeting single enemy,just to die at enemy's generator and respawn far away again
  3. "control point is under attack" "control point is under attach" , but where ? hud wont tell you
  4. if your team win, or lose, and you are far from destroyed generator, your screen will just freeze and only way to know who won is to read tiny text at the top of the screen that will be replaced by some other message after few seconds

some people say that capturing control points is too confusing, and it should be turn into automatic capture if you stand near control point for X seconds.
But I think that players still have to learn why some nodes are shielded and some are not, so one more thing to learn wont change popularity that much ( but I like this idea )

btw, because you don't see strategy in ons it doesn't mean its not there Tongue

I agree with morphed. Fixing those would likely boost playercounts.
1. Show only the waypoints within n qu's.
2. Spawn at a control point closest to a contested point. Or, spawn near designated vehicle hangars (for quick crossing).
3. Flash the under attack control point - first red fill, orange border, then switch fill and border.
4. Show winning team on top in scoreboard and make "Red team wins" and "Blue team wins" voice messages.

Good points morphed & roanoke - fixing those things would boost ons popularity Smile

What if these tremulous features were optional? All ons maps could be upgraded to support turrets and upgrades, but then the server host could decide whether to keep them on or turn them off.

That way, people can play the old ons and tremulous-ons.

(04-09-2010, 02:52 PM)Roanoke Wrote: 2. Spawn at a control point closest to a contested point. Or, spawn near designated vehicle hangars (for quick crossing).
Or, mappers can make a rail/transportation system that leads to control points. (is this possible?)

(04-11-2010, 04:30 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(04-09-2010, 02:52 PM)Roanoke Wrote: 2. Spawn at a control point closest to a contested point. Or, spawn near designated vehicle hangars (for quick crossing).
Or, mappers can make a rail/transportation system that leads to control points. (is this possible?)

It might be possible using func_trains, but doesn't this kinda kill the point of large maps?

If you really wanted to move around faster, maybe you could buy a speed powerup or a jetpack with the upgrade system Big Grin

LO.
I love Tremulous. I suppose you ant a game mode similar to "Human versus Human in Tremulous".
It's hard to code in Xonotic, you'd better mod tremulous for that ! ;-)

This was one of my old threads, back when I was still quite a noob, so I don't think it was a good one.

I was hoping this thread was dead and buried Tongue