Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning off pogostick

Next Xonotic release will have a way to turn off the "pogostick" (holding space keeps jumping) feature clientside.

cl_movement_track_canjump 1

will do it.

Soon, some servers will support this feature with official 0.5.0 clients.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Nice divVerent, thanks for implementing this Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Nice that it is possible, but do I want to turn it off? I think holding spacebar keeps jumping is just very handy. Is there any reason I should want to turn it off?

(09-12-2011, 12:31 PM)Mepper Wrote: Is there any reason I should want to turn it off?

because kojn said so
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I see no reason to turn it off, as you can still press the space bar and release it any way you want when in air anyway.

However, quite some players asked for this after 0.5 release - so here it is.

so is there cl_movement_chookycanrocketfly_ftt ?

Big Grin

t

:^

No, being able to rocket fly is still a server option Wink

It is, but rocketjumping still is gives a too small boost imo. You can indeed turn rocketfly on, but you still just don't fly high enough. And it is pretty useless, everyone who I ask agrees with me. The rl is the only weapon that was better in Nexuiz imo, there I could really rocketfly (amazing!) and steering and detonating really worked. I just can't kill people with the rl in Xonotic.

We already found this out in statistics too. The rocket launcher is underbalanced.

This will be fixed soon.

Maybe slightly, sure was mentioned before but was turned away. If it is, it isn't that bad..I do use it quite a lot though so not going to complain Big Grin.

And yes cortez because I said so!!

A few players asked for it, and I passed it onto divVerent. I requested this a long time ago for XPM mode mainly when I was working on that project/mod, as pogostock was used mainly just for that and to be honest, it takes a lot of skill out of the movement personally (this is why some player's wanted to have it off/do it manually, or they did not like the feel of it).

Simples.

let me guess it were a few pick up players.

and im sure there are also people against. which like it the way it is.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(09-13-2011, 12:18 PM)divVerent Wrote: We already found this out in statistics too. The rocket launcher is underbalanced.

This will be fixed soon.

Under balanced? Really? I had no problems killing with it.

you must be a very patient man lee :p

nex , laser , nex , laser , rocket?

Big Grin

give the gun the balls its always deserved.

ITS A BLOODY FLYING BOMB! , IDK ABOUT U GUYS , BUT BOMBS KILL , NOT GIVE YA A HEADACHE Smile

t

:^

also yes , pogostick thingo , umm... , good idea , me likes pogo though

(09-13-2011, 01:04 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Maybe slightly, sure was mentioned before but was turned away. If it is, it isn't that bad..I do use it quite a lot though so not going to complain Big Grin.

And yes cortez because I said so!!

A few players asked for it, and I passed it onto divVerent. I requested this a long time ago for XPM mode mainly when I was working on that project/mod, as pogostock was used mainly just for that and to be honest, it takes a lot of skill out of the movement personally (this is why some player's wanted to have it off/do it manually, or they did not like the feel of it).

Simples.

It takes zero skill out. There is no skill with repeatedly hitting the same key at constant timing. It's just more strain to the space bar.

But if they are fine with turning it off clientside... but I absolutely do not want servers to be able to force it off on a client.

The timing is only constant on flat terrain without anyone pushing you around with explosions Tongue

(09-14-2011, 02:22 AM)divVerent Wrote: It takes zero skill out. There is no skill with repeatedly hitting the same key at constant timing. It's just more strain to the space bar.

Ofcourse there is. You have to do this with strafing and moving the mouse for example to gain more speed. So yes actually there is a skill with timing, which is the same when it comes to timing jumps, pogostick does take away part of that timing skill, whether you like (pogostick) or not - it's a fact Wink

This is no sufficient reason for me to offer the feature to turn it off server-side.

Xonotic HAS it. As simple as that. Clients CAN turn it off, but then they obviously cripple themselves e.g. on stairs.

(09-14-2011, 04:57 AM)kojn^ Wrote:
(09-14-2011, 02:22 AM)divVerent Wrote: It takes zero skill out. There is no skill with repeatedly hitting the same key at constant timing. It's just more strain to the space bar.

Ofcourse there is. You have to do this with strafing and moving the mouse for example to gain more speed. So yes actually there is a skill with timing, which is the same when it comes to timing jumps, pogostick does take away part of that timing skill, whether you like (pogostick) or not - it's a fact Wink

Not really, this is coming from someone who threw down in all the Quakes (including Dreamcast Quake III with a controller Smile) and even Warsow. I think the initial reason that pogostick was brought in the first place was because bunnyhopping was a HUGE focus on gameplay and people were destroying their space bars (I remember seeing a pic on Nexuiz Ninjaz actually), not to mention crippling their thumbs after about 4 hours of playing. Not having pogo stick was more of a chore than a skill contest.

In fact, I could make an almost perfect pogostick replacement that works without the server having pogostick with few lines of code.

Basically: "release jump key when above ground by more than 10qu, or when touching ground for more than one frame".

Or you can just get so used to pressing the same key over and over again to the point where you forget that your doing that until either your space bar stops responding or your thumb falls off Tongue

I dont see the skill argument. its not like you have to time when to press space. just release and hit it right away and the player will jump at next ground contact. If you had to actually time it to say +/- 5ms or sth like that, then its be a different story. as it it now, i agree with divVerent - its just wearing out the keyboard to turn it off.

LOL BUT IT DOES TAKE MAD SKILLZ TO DO DAT REPEATEDLY HIT DA SPACE BAR STUFF. Ok I'm done spamming now.

I today played on the DMs server, and what happened...
AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

I had to press spacebar for every jump, and it was enabled by default!!!! It fucked up my whole gameplay, and the game didn't feel smooth any more, and that sucks a lot.

And this means that if a new player comes to Xonotic from Nexuiz:
-He looks in serverlist
-Sees that DMs server has quite some players (most popular server atm)
-Joins
-Thinks wow, this looks nice!
-Notices he can't normally bunnyhop any more
-Thinks: This sux a lot!
-Thinks, no matter, there always is still Nexuiz
-Disconnects
-Deletes Xonotic
-Continues playing Nexuiz

Average players don't easily find a button to make normal again. So move your ass and set normal bunnyhopping to default!

Xonotic isn't Nexuiz? (This is a inside joke!!!)

Secondly, I asked it for XPM originally, where yes, in fact it does actually require skill to be able to strafe and time your jumps manually rather then just holding down spacebar and just pressing the strafe keys. I even said to FruitieX about XPM that it make's it easier to do the maps with pogostick and take's away some of the skill in the movement.

Why don't you racers on here try it, and see how easy it is then if it doesn't require any skill? I can almost guarantee majority will stop because of complaining of fingers hurting or something rather then admitting it is actually a lot more difficult to do. Also the constantly hitting spacebar is kind of a null argument, since you probably hit the strafing keys most likely the same amount as you would hit the spacebar. Just go try it on some defrag maps, if you think it's that easy, if not, carrying on with pogostick, I never asked for the thread to be trolled.

I asked divVerent if he could implement it for those reasons, and also because of other players requested it as he said himself. I have never requested it to be default in Xonotic or anything, I wouldn't want to be accused of being elitist for the 200th time now would I Rolleyes

Mepper: which server was it? As that is a bug - there is NO intentional feature to turn this off server side.

What value does cl_movement_track_canjump have for you? Does the problem go away if you set that to 0 and connect again?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turn off Frag-jingle Antares* 2 3,502 06-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Antares*