Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Feedback on Xonotic 0.5

I've still got a couple of levels to complete, but I like the new release so far. I'm .3x off on leave em behind. Sad Keep away is pretty cool. I don't much on the servers, so my first opportunity to play it was in 0.5. I hope the game is as enjoyable in the higher levels as it is in the lower levels.

So its 5 out of 5 stars from me so far. Smile

I think there will come another kind of community survey, where you can give your feedback. If everyone would post feedbacks on the forums it would be one big mess.

(09-10-2011, 09:10 PM)Antairs Wrote: I'm .3x off on leave em behind

Maybe you should watch our movement tutorial Wink

That movement tutorial is perhaps a bit off now Smile but it helps.
#deathmatchers

I got though the level with a 19:97. I'm going to watch the video and play around and see if I can improve the time. Running the game in multiplayer mode without any bots and working on the movement probably wouldn't hurt either. Smile

I used strafejumping, and got under 20:00 easily, without even using the laser (maybe one time for a jump, but not more.)

Meeper.. That is what I wound up doing too. I had to work on the turns a bit to get it down. I was twisting my body to sharp and it was slowing me down.

You can use the console (SHIFT-ESCAPE), and enter:

g_campaignxonoticbeta_index

That shows the current level number.

Use:

g_campaignxonoticbeta_index 9

to e.g. skip to level 9. That way, you can skip the problematic level.

In the future, there will be an official levelwarp command ("warp") to skip a level (it's already in git). Also, the two race levels have been changed: the first one is now 25 sec (originally, 20 sec), the second is now 29 sec (originally, 26 sec).
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Ew. I just made it a bit challenging that you have to use (/practise) a few laser jumps.

Yes, but it simply was too hard for new players, ESPECIALLY compared to the levels around it.

Maybe another solution would be putting these levels later in the list, maybe even as the very last.

Or, having multiple rc levels in a specific campaign for that, once we have some more maps for the mode.

0.5 was extremely good, especially considering it was just that, 0.5 not 1.0. The only real issues I ran into were the ridiculous motion blur (tweaking this in the advanced options got rid of my issues though and made it look very pretty), decals on models causing MAJOR gameplay stutter (probably my GPU, it's been damaged by a bad driver and I half to limit it's memory usage all the time), the bots needing some serious work (may want to rename campaign mode to training mode, even on godlike these guys are clowns lol), and obviously the weapon models still mostly being from Nexuiz (though the, Shotgun, Machinegun, HLAC, and Electro still look kick ass so no complaints there, laser in my opinion just needs a re-skin). I would complain about animation, however the game is too fast to notice the lack of spine deformation half of the time. Weapon balance (which is good enough for me to not favor a particular weapon in the arena now, but use what the situation calls for), graphics/performance ratio (looks good AND runs good, my fps is past 100-150 most of the time with all the most noticeable effects turned on at 1600 X 1200), and actual gameplay (does it's own thing while borrowing from a few other games, it's got the variety of UT99, it's own physics, emphasis on weapon combos, unique ammo system for an arena game, lack of redundancy like Q3A, almost as much aerial combat as Tribes, the list goes on...) though are amazing.

I'm not sure whether this just happened to me, but starting it up fresh on lucid just gave me black screen with the music playing. I had to type in my player name blind. Anyone else encountered this problem?
How long is a piece of string?

Can you try running it in windowed mode? Either add a line "set vid_fullscreen 0" (without quotes) in ~/.xonotic/data/autoexec.cfg (create it if it does not exist) or launch the game from terminal with "+vid_fullscreen 0" as argument (again without quotes).

I tried running it in windowed mode and i still got basically the same problem. But i noticed, if i wait awhile into the menu song, say 15-20 sec, then the menu displays as intended. oh and it does take awhile for the song to start playing, so in total, it's around a 30-45 second wait.
How long is a piece of string?

Hi, yesterday was my first xonotic Lan play experience.
We were 16 Players all are new to xonotic. This is my short result:
The games is fun! Most of the players are having fun!.
The stumbling block we had, some of us are needed to specify the ip address of the server for the first time. So we badly missed a "refresh serverlist" Button.
The Damage Blurr is a way to long and to fuzzy... But hey one can ignore this and its even more stimulation to not getting cought.
For first time users is the Mode description a bit to short.

But the good news: We did have a lot of fun, enjoying the gameplay!
I am instructed to state: All of us are very impressed about the graphics quality. Good work, and Congratulations!
The most surprising feature for all the Windows guys were that the Game do not need any installation!
8-) Ok, me is a militant linux user, so nor surprise for me ;-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Always keep the fun in your life.
Zockertown.de

ty

got a problem?

make it known , ty

t

:^

Smile

You mean rocket in XPM mode, right? Cause I like the default rocket launcher settings on other servers.

I still think that mortar granades blows up too early! This is very important! Can't we just simply make them a bit more similar to Quake ones?
Its like:

Leave the primary fire as it is in a present moment. BUT the secondary needs REMAKE imo:

1. Extend granades lifetime
2. Reduce their speed
3. Make them a bit less bouncing
4. bla*

No, I do not think he means the rocket in XPM mode, and I do agree with him.

The rocket should jump way higher. I nearly doesn't jump higher than the laser, which is ridiculous.
Well, how high should it jump? Very easy, laser does 17 selfdamage (sometimes 16, but anyway), and the rocket does 52 selfdamage. Both when shouting right to the ground, when standing still.
The rocket does 52/17 = 3.058824, lets just say 3.
So the rocket should jump 3 times higher than the laser!

And it also should do some more splash damage, well, at least the radius of the damage should be bigger. Guiding and detonating is almost useless now.

But I think I do agree with you about the mortar, Justin.

The grenades detonate after they bounce for the first time. It needs some practise to get the correct timing. I love it. Tongue

BTW I've made quite some balance changes since 0.5 either directly from feedback or from other experiences/ideas -- Just pointing this out ^_^

About the grenadelauncher secondary... In this case as I explained on IRC, I think it would actually undermine the feature I implemented to increase the lifetime of the secondary...

For those who don't know this, the basic concept is this: The grenadelauncher secondary has a feature where its lifetime changes based on the first time it bounces... So, if you shoot the grenade to bounce up close, it will have a fairly short life (+0.5 seconds after bouncing)... but if you shoot it far away, it will live long until it bounces and then again only have 0.5 seconds to live. Basically, this allows you to very easily and precisely place the grenade where you want it and it will still always explode at a good time.

I think it not only makes a fairly non-obvious feature EVEN MORE non-obvious by increasing this time, but it also actually hurts the functionality of this feature. At maximum I would raise it to 0.75 seconds, but any more really I think would be harmful.

As random new player that just started yesterday (and frankly has no real intention of playing the game for a long time) I have to agree the Race levels in the Single Player were too hard especially considering the lack of any ingame hints or tutorial at that point. Took like 20 minutes to barely make it with 19.95 or so without ever figuring out what exactly I was doing wrong.
On top of that the Instagib and especially the Laser-only DM are just silly and the least fun by far as by that time I still hadn't even figured out a proper sensitivity (playing Instagib against bots is a special kind of retarded regardless)
The turrets on Courtfun were also unexpected and you bet new players won't know if they can be disabled or not let alone quickly find the higher route.
It was very easy to exploit the bots on Techassault (plus it's not exactly the best map of the bunch) as they just run into the hallway by the core (door) leaving you to spam rockets at them, and when the door is destroyed they ran around behind the corner so you can just stand by the wall and shoot the core from outside.

So yeah there definitely needs to be a skip function or something, plus better instructions

(10-21-2011, 12:49 AM)Trotim Wrote: As random new player that just started yesterday (and frankly has no real intention of playing the game for a long time) I have to agree the Race levels in the Single Player were too hard especially considering the lack of any ingame hints or tutorial at that point. Took like 20 minutes to barely make it with 19.95 or so without ever figuring out what exactly I was doing wrong.
On top of that the Instagib and especially the Laser-only DM are just silly and the least fun by far as by that time I still hadn't even figured out a proper sensitivity (playing Instagib against bots is a special kind of retarded regardless)
The turrets on Courtfun were also unexpected and you bet new players won't know if they can be disabled or not let alone quickly find the higher route.
It was very easy to exploit the bots on Techassault (plus it's not exactly the best map of the bunch) as they just run into the hallway by the core (door) leaving you to spam rockets at them, and when the door is destroyed they ran around behind the corner so you can just stand by the wall and shoot the core from outside.

So yeah there definitely needs to be a skip function or something, plus better instructions
Honestly, the campaign was mostly thrown together without too much thought/effort at the moment. We're more concerned with other more important things right now, so at least until the 1.0 release I doubt there will be any notably good campaign to speak of. Yes in the future we will have a tutorial level or so, but for now we just don't have the resources to do that in contrast to everything else which needs done.

I do appreciate the input however, and yes we know the bots are terrible Big Grin About the race levels, we'll find some way to deal with these later... Like, gold/silver/bronze medals or something.. e.g.: good players can aim for gold, but new players would aim for bronze or such. This way it can be evenly distributed among the different levels of players. Also, there will be a campaign difficulty setting which will be used to select e.g. how good the bots are, what time limits/frag limits you have for the match, etc etc etc. Finally we'll probably have some kind of hint system for the final campaign, to help you figure out what to do next. This can already be done with different map entities, but i'd like to improve that later anyway.

Those features ARE planned for the future, but again no one has the time for it right now so just be patient Big Grin

In the mean time, focus on the core of the game and its other mechanics/design -- though, give us a break on the visuals/map design and such, we again really don't have much of a choice regarding the media we get as it's usually ALL we can get as an opensource project.