Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minstanex - Texturing

This is the progress so far on texturing the minstanex (not my model). On top of that is a mockup of how the glow might look and also text to imply authenticity. The main thing to work through now is the grip texture.

Original concept art
[Image: minstanexb.th.jpg]

Current model
[Image: minstanex06.th.jpg]

Concept of glow and text
[Image: minstanexglowmockupsa.th.jpg]

so...much....WIIIIIIIIINNNNNN!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!! Big Grin

I think this would be an awesome replacement for the minstanex model.

Pretty cool.

the three whatevers around the barrel look cool, but a bit useless if you take a closer look. maybe add something techy to them (maybe just a bit glow) to make them look like stabilizers or something.

I'm not really sure about the trigger. But the rest is just COMPLETELY AWESOME!

+1

Oh, already gave you +1 Tongue

Oh shit, haha

There's actually another artist working on the very same concept........

http://i.imgur.com/925do.jpg

Damnit LJFHutch you need to be more in tuned with the development Tongue

LOL its scary how similar paths those took Tongue

(10-28-2011, 11:04 PM)Samual Wrote: Damnit LJFHutch you need to be more in tuned with the development Tongue
Same can be said for whoever that other dood is - i had no idea someone else started working on it (if i did would have recommended him to do sth else, LJFHutch has been on this task for some time)

Im sure its the best weapon model for LG, don't You think so?
nice job, lad.

(10-29-2011, 01:37 AM)tZork Wrote: LOL its scary how similar paths those took Tongue

(10-28-2011, 11:04 PM)Samual Wrote: Damnit LJFHutch you need to be more in tuned with the development Tongue
Same can be said for whoever that other dood is - i had no idea someone else started working on it (if i did would have recommended him to do sth else, LJFHutch has been on this task for some time)
Well, LukeLC based his texture off of the concept LFJHutch made -- but, we hadn't seen ANY progress or sign that LFJHutch even still existed... So I asked LukeLC to start work on it

Seriously, the worst problem in modeling right now is miscommunication: LFJHutch, get your ass on IRC Tongue

Oh and no, this would be terrible as a model for the lightning gun... It's perfect as minstanex imho.

Sorry guys, I went Awol and had been just hanging around in the L!ft IRC all that time Big Grin I'm pretty much finished so far as I can tell, I've got the glow and diffuse map, so that leaves the spec, height and player colours, though they are easy to do now I have the various diffuse layers.

[Image: minstanex07.th.jpg]

how does it look in 1st person view?

Pretty nice model so far though!

First person view, the scope still needs work and perhaps the scratches toned down a bit.

[Image: minstanex07b.th.jpg]

Looks definitely good.

Will the colour changes to blue/red in Team- xyz modes?

Wow, normal games you can buy in shops don't even have that nice weapons!

Amazing job!

(11-08-2011, 10:55 AM)Mepper Wrote: Wow, normal games you can buy in shops don't even have that nice weapons!

Amazing job!

Seconded. Can't wait to see this model in action! MinstaGib games are going to feel much more different for me from now on Big Grin

[EDIT] I suggest making the red area part of _shirt. That should be the best way to team-color this weapon. But by keeping the same brightness, so that selecting the red shirt color (or going into the read team) will look just like in those screenshots. Other colors should then feel the same and look good.

I'm *done* - might still manually edit the ambient occlusion a bit more.
[Image: minstanex08.th.jpg]
[Image: minstanex08b.th.jpg]

I also discovered something pretty cool, it's probably been done before but I still feel special Big Grin By adding the ambient occlusion layer on multiply and combining it with the specular layer it creates a cool effect and makes the specular a lot less odd:
[Image: minstanex08c.th.jpg]

I'm not sure what to do with the player colour layers though, are they white? Just pcollayer1 pcollayer2 or so both with white where on where the player colour goes?

look at some of the other weapon textures to see how they do that. you can also find out stuff about naming conventions, etc.

anyway, this looks awesome. do you know how to put it in game? i not, i can start asking on the IRC channel for someone to do it.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

_shirt is multiplied by shirt color, then added as usual BEFORE lighting (so shirt color has basically the same scale as regular colors, but gets filtered by shirt color)
_glow is multiplied by pants color, multiplied by some factor to make it more HDR/glowy, then added AFTER lighting (so light doesn't affect the glow layer)
we don't use a _pants layer any more, _glow handles that part
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud