Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

I see idling on servers was suggested a lot, and that would be a helpful method. But on the other hand, who has the patience to sit alone on a server and just walk around, if no one joins for an hour? Bots that auto-(un)join as players (dis)connect help a bit, but not entirely.

I think what might be helpful here is some external tool, that allows you to stay connected to a server (but switch back to Windows) then notifies you when someone has joined. Since if you just minimize Xonotic, you don't see anything. Can't think of a perfect idea for this, but something of this kind might help.

Also: Can someone put the server list on a web page, if this hasn't been done already? That might help in this sense, since there are probably few players who open Xonotic just to check which servers are populated. But a web page that self-refreshes and you can leave open in a browser tab could change a lot. If there already is one, it should probably be made more obvious, since I'm not even aware of such.

Also, I didn't know Nexuiz still has players. We should really get the word out to all of them, in case some haven't heard of Xonotic yet (though that would be weird). I don't think Xonotic and Nexuiz are that different (apart from Xon having greater quality), so maybe Nexuiz players don't have the right idea either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release - by MirceaKitsune - 10-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 387 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,071 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,977 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0