Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

But that isn't official. Which saddens me a bit, because tbh I really enjoy default physics and weapon balance.

This is btw. a recurring phenomenon of so called "old school pro" (=arrogant) gamers which I don't really understand: whenever a new game comes out, they bitch about it how it's not even remotely the same as UT99, Quake3, etc. in any aspects, so it definately MUST suck.
However, if you please the crowd of the arrogant pro fragmachines, they'll bitch about how your game is a total ripoff of Quake3, or UT99, just sucks even more.
Also, they're fed up with Ut99 and Quake3, because it's old, ugly, and the same shit all over again since 10 years or so.
Dodgy

This sums pretty much up the issue about pleasing gamers.

The other problem I see is really our community. Which works very well on the forum, no doubt: everybody is friendly here, giving cool advices, ideas, whatnot.
But where are you while playing online, really? oO
I mean, I barely meet with regular forum members on any servers when I'm online and looking for a match (and this is not because of timezone mismatches).
Back in the very old Nexuiz 1.x days, whenever I joined the servers, I've mostly met with forum regulars. I almost knew everybody already, there were rarely anonymous players. However, this is not the situation with Xonotic.

It can't be that everybody is playing on private, hidden servers, because I rarely see games come together on pickup.
Or there's still the possibility I'm not searching at the right places (or I'm just not invited Big Grin). But I'm an insider, and if I can't find players, how'd Average Joe find any, when he first installs the game?

As Pinkrobot stated above: we really had a few, fun games, without any pickup magic. You just need to show yourself on the forums, so new players actually SEE there are players, and the game is living, vibrating, and full of fun.

I'm not against pickup, because sometimes I need some higher competition too. I like pickup, I like the more "serious" atmosphere it has. However, I think it was a bad idea to introduce pickup seriously right after 0.1 - simply because the regular playerbase is not high enough for a sorting mechanism that pickup serves.
A few days ago I've seen 6/8 waiting for a CTF match. For hours, without anything to happen. Major wtf situation, if you ask me. Hell, even 4 players could be enough to start a game somewhere on public. The others will join eventually.

Long story short, I can only say others have concluded already: SHOW YOURSELF on public servers! Else we won't get new players, because they'll think this game is dead, because nobody plays it.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release - by CuBe0wL - 10-19-2011, 03:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 387 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,073 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,977 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0