Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

(10-18-2011, 11:07 PM)Samual Wrote: Actually from a competitive players point of view, I can understand the lack of challenge in some respects.

Comparatively to other games like Quake, our game is actually much easier. The movement requires much less of a learning curve to move around quickly, the map control is less restricting, and even the weapons to some extent are easier.... although they're more dynamic and unique, they are designed to not be totally restricting (e.g. with refire times and such) unlike in Quake where for example weapon combos are penalized by the refire time.

Yes, most casual players miss the deep aspects of the gameplay.. but competitive players from other games some times find that those deep aspects aren't deep enough for their taste. I think the default balance I designed currently tries to please the casual gamers AND slightly/moderately competitive players, and it pulls this off perfectly... The REALLY highly competitive players though? ... those players want more of a challenge.

This might be another reason why I'd go for slower and harder to control physics by default, and would make some weapons (like the rocket launcher) have slower projectile speed and other factors. I could say that from this point, Xonotic feels rather "quick and easy". You often fly all over the map, shoot people if you have enough skill at quick aiming, and done. I haven't worked on my own balance and physics recently, but might do so again in the future... as they plan to be more like this.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release - by MirceaKitsune - 10-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 329 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,015 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,833 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0