Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

Changing the game to fit to new players' expectations and skill is NOT what we should do. This is what the majority of commercial games do, so that the player will like it right away when he opens it... unfortunately a side effect of this is that the skill ceiling is lowered, and after a certain point you just can't get that much better. People will like it, play it, then leave. I would rather see a more developed game with fewer but more experienced players than a super-easy game with lots of players that don't stay around. As for making the game more advanced to attract Nexuiz players, I'm not sure how far we should go. Assuming most of the player know about Xonotic, then there are pretty much three options: (1): They don't come because the don't like the game, (2): They don't come because they think there are no players, or (3): They don't come because the don't know or don't want to believe that Nexuiz is no longer being developed and will die sooner or later.

asy7um Wrote:The only thing that keeps me from really getting into xonotic are the weapons. Sorry but for someone who hasn't played nexuiz the weapon system looks like a huge mess. Too many redundant and spammy weapons, not enough structure. I know that wont change because that would be a very radical step but that's my opinion.

laser
sg
mg
rocketlauncher
mortar
nexgun
electro

Don't need more than those imo, especially as there are secondary fire modes too.

Those weapons you listed are the primal basics, however removing the other weapons would wreak havoc on the weapon balance AND make mappers redo their item placement. Also, I think a lot of players would die before they let anyone pry the crylink from their cold, dead fingers. Big Grin

Also, whenever I am added up on pickup I usually do idle on a public. This won't solve all our problems though, because usually the people that come on are way below my skill level (which is really sad, considering I'm not that great).

Holy Shnikies, I just realised this turned into a balance thread :O

Messages In This Thread
RE: Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release - by nowego4 - 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 387 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,073 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,979 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0