Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Popularity issue persisting after 0.5 release

Oh, I didnt want to move this thread to a balance thread. (Which just shows that anyones impressions and thoughts about the actual system, which is a huge advantage to the 0.1 one, are quite different)

I simply wanted to show that there are quite a few people who think bad about xonotic (lets say they think about it in a boring way). In fact, xonotic is playable and quite nice atm, the problem is still that the server list is more or less empty (see answers and solutions above). The balance and physics are good as well, its just the game which aims at other skills than comparable FPS' (see above, too).

And I still think that putting the game onto esl's website would be a nice idea (if its realizeable). I even saw Teeworlds there... Tongue

That brings me to the idea that maybe we should ship Xonotic with a decent keyboard layout that has the weapons not on 1, 2, 3, but rather around the movement keys? Because switching weapons with the mousewheel is not really an option for this game.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(10-19-2011, 02:57 PM)Halogene Wrote: That brings me to the idea that maybe we should ship Xonotic with a decent keyboard layout that has the weapons not on 1, 2, 3, but rather around the movement keys? Because switching weapons with the mousewheel is not really an option for this game.

And sadly, I still do it too Tongue Ever since I play FPS games since I was young, I use the mouse wheel to switch weapons. Hard to figure another way out, since the 1, 2, 3, 4, ... keys are hard to look at and press individually during combat.

I think div0 made the best point here and that's where the thought should be going. Getting Xonotic known more, as he said isn't that many downloads currently. Also don't panic, as also said nexuiz playerbase was not there at the beginning also..and Xonotic is a much much better game.

Debugger is also correct, someone needs to get the game onto ESL. Once I fix my problems I'd be more then happy to play matches on there if the game can get hosted/added on the site, and would definitely help it get noticed more.

Let's concentrate on getting the game known by PC/Gaming magazines and sites rather then just Linux sites and games the promote open source games.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(10-19-2011, 02:57 PM)Halogene Wrote: That brings me to the idea that maybe we should ship Xonotic with a decent keyboard layout that has the weapons not on 1, 2, 3, but rather around the movement keys? Because switching weapons with the mousewheel is not really an option for this game.

Errr.. I use it. Tongue

That what kojn that should be done and probably a tutorial map/video when you start the game for the first time. Urban Terror has that: A video which explains movement basics (with text and voice) and some weapons.

Would be amazing if someone could cast the topgames of the upcoming duel tourney. I'm sure that would make duelers from similar games like quake live or warsow try xonotic. Maybe pick the best 3 games/maps afterwards, add commentary and upload it to youtube. So when someone asks me "wtf is that xonotic thing you play now" I can show him those vids.Smile

(10-20-2011, 12:48 PM)asy7um Wrote: pick the best 3 games/maps afterwards, add commentary and upload it to youtube

Yes, good idea, we should try to do it, definitely.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Since I WON'T be playing in the duel tournament, I'd love to shoutcast some of the games, if people are interested??? I can actually watch them on my other PC without Xonotic playing, it's just too crap to play the game decently for me at the moment though (Graphics card not the game Tongue).
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I think a shoutcast/commentary on some matches would be great, probably for the top few games, idk. (where the top 3 games appear few to me) Tongue

Anyway, with a seperate playlist on xonotic youtube channel and spread over magazines, gaming related sites, more and more forums etc. it might take some players to join our community.

You should not only make comentaries of the best. Just make also videos of not so good players, they are way more original in what they do, the best players all play pretty much the same, which can get boring imo.

Just a lot of them would be great!

There are by the way some very good nexuiz duels with comentaries, from Scorpion (who is also in the tournament now), and Agama. Just making things like that would be great.

Mirio sucks, him using the mousewheel just reinforces this fact Big Grin <3

But seriously though, I had already really wanted to do multiple default input/bind configs with some competitive variants too for a long time -- How about this, some time early next week i'll come up with a bind config scheme (just a collection of cvars which each config needs to have) and create a forum thread asking for configuration variants - After i've got a good collection of them, i'll sort through them and maybe create a poll to pick the best/most uniquely useful ones.

If I don't get around to this next week, please bug me on IRC. This way it finally ACTUALLY gets done... its been on my todolist literally for months and months.

Advertising is definitely a good way to spread the word. I found Nexuiz in one of those web browser ads... so yeah. Advertise and people will notice you.

More people are slowly but surely finding the game right now. Quite a number of new names have started appearing and luckily they are finding better filled servers with the kind people we all know are in this community. The majority of them still seem to be of the Linux geek type, which is fine at this point. Because they, imo, are more likely to take a second or third look at the game and ask for advice than the casual gamer.

Also worth stating is that the new players - on the whole - are finding a game they like. There is no need to panic whatsoever. Bring the game to new people, a lot of them will stick around I'm sure. Do not start to worry about balance or anything like that, Xonotic is great. Like Kojn said, start rolling out the big PR campaign and the players will come.

On a slightly unrelated note, download numbers vs the number of players is something you should not look at too much. I once proved that Nexuiz was actually pretty decent in that respect, even though the numbers were staggeringly low. A lot of people will download a game just because it is free (humans are harvesters by nature I guesss Tongue).
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I totally agree with what's been said about more advertising is needed.

Just look at our page on the Desura website.
Not only is our rank increasing, but people are raving about Xonotic. People keep reviewing it 10/10 or 9/10 which is awesome Big Grin

(10-20-2011, 08:30 PM)Samual Wrote: Mirio sucks, him using the mousewheel just reinforces this fact Big Grin <3

But seriously though, I had already really wanted to do multiple default input/bind configs with some competitive variants too for a long time -- How about this, some time early next week i'll come up with a bind config scheme (just a collection of cvars which each config needs to have) and create a forum thread asking for configuration variants - After i've got a good collection of them, i'll sort through them and maybe create a poll to pick the best/most uniquely useful ones.

If I don't get around to this next week, please bug me on IRC. This way it finally ACTUALLY gets done... its been on my todolist literally for months and months.

Could just get a keypad Tongue I personally use a Cyber Snipa. Also mouse wheels are for noobs (ye olde school mice didn't have them), I'm so used to not having a mouse wheel that I use the keys R and F for weapon scrolling when I'm not pressing numbers to change them lol

For the 1.0 release it could be a good tactic to try to contact TotalHalibut from youtube to do some coverage.

For those who never heard of him, he has quite a large following on youtube and has a series called "WTF is ...." in which he gives his first impressions on recent games, mainly indie and some big games.

His videos reach quite an audience, and in his latest video(around 14:35) he says he'd love "a deathmatch game that isn't quake", fast paced, secondary fire modes and more creative weapons. He'd be "extremely happy if an indy companny would pick up the license of an old engine and create a deathmatch style game like this".

I think I know a certain little game he might like...

(10-26-2011, 02:13 AM)freefang Wrote: For the 1.0 release it could be a good tactic to try to contact TotalHalibut from youtube to do some coverage.

For those who never heard of him, he has quite a large following on youtube and has a series called "WTF is ...." in which he gives his first impressions on recent games, mainly indie and some big games.

His videos reach quite an audience, and in his latest video(around 14:35) he says he'd love "a deathmatch game that isn't quake", fast paced, secondary fire modes and more creative weapons. He'd be "extremely happy if an indy companny would pick up the license of an old engine and create a deathmatch style game like this".

I think I know a certain little game he might like...

THIS. This sounds like a good idea.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Lol, what he said in the video has Xonotic written all over it. Let's be sure to make him happy when Xonotic 1.0 comes out Big Grin

We REALLY should do that. Xonotic is EXACTLY what he is looking for.

Now, I don't know how GPL friendly this would be, but possibly a "Join Xonotic Official Server" button (With a US/EU setting?) on the main menu to direct everyone to one place that isn't race would help us retain alot of our playerbase.

You should set something like "standards" for official servers, if they don't have enough speed or good performance then they shouldnt be official.

(10-27-2011, 06:33 PM)forseti Wrote: You should set something like "standards" for official servers, if they don't have enough speed or good performance then they shouldnt be official.

Sorry I didn't clarify. An official server as in ONE (maybe two for US/EU) server hosted by the Xonotic team.
Noobing around since three hours ago.

Well actually I do host/maintain some official servers (though partly down at the moment) -- However i'm not really sure it's a good idea to advocate some servers over others...

A long time ago I actually suggested this idea back in the Nexuiz days, and the resounding answer was that this would be unfair to server owners. Now, personally I do think it's different now and in this case since we don't really have very popular servers yet it would be okay, still it is quite clear that idea would have to go out the window at some point, otherwise we'd be sponsoring servers which drown out the attention other servers could get.

Is the time ready for server admins to be persuaded to move from Nexuiz to Xonotic?

I wonder why the DCC servers have not moved for example. Is there a reason for this?
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

If the DCC servers would move, a LOT of players would move too. All weapon players in the EU would be more or less forced to play Xonotic. I thought Esteel or Green Marine hosts it, you should contact them probably.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] After a successful build & compile (0.8.5): This script is not properly set up yet. John 1 329 01-27-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: John
  dynamic enverionmental lighting/electro issue darthrevan 6 6,015 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Last Post: darthrevan
  Still no release? psychcf 21 22,831 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Last Post: pyr0