Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] 2.4.2 feel

Speaking of the weapon switch delay, I'm confident that it causes the "weapon jamming" people so often complain about.

(04-11-2010, 04:45 PM)MaKR Wrote: Hold on Lee_Stricklin, ima let you finish, but Nexuiz 2.3 had one of the best versions of all time....

Past the slight lol there the thing that's bothered me the most is the cvar that controls the time between shots while switching weapons. I know it was changed to a more reasonable/realistic setting (used to be 0), but it was far more fun to do weapon combos before. Even now after a couple years with it I still feel like I'm lagging between shots. Other than that I do agree with weapon balance from 2.4.2, and imo the best way to fix the crylink is to make it similar to what it was in 2.3. I wish I could remember what thread my earlier rant about weapons was on, it had a lot of similar ideas.

I actually enjoyed 2.3 as my favorite version. Maybe it was the ridiculous rocket jumping or nex switching glitch, but it was definitely more fun for some odd reason. That being said though, 2.4.2 was pretty great in terms of perfection. Maybe it would be possible to have a combination of the two versions in some aspects.

Also, the crylink in 2.3 was a good weapon (if you could use it). The part in the parenthesis being the problem because it was horribly difficult to utilize it effectively.

With everything said on this thread, I'm confident that the best Xonotic would be just like 2.4.2 with these modifications:

2.3 Crylink
2.5 Camping Rifle
Re-balanced HLAC

That would make for damn near flawless gameplay. Someone might complain about the shotty being too puny, but it's only supposed to be a good all-around weapon (this is the Enforcer, your easy to use starter weapon), not one that dominates in a given situation. The developers should really consider this.

So to break it down:

2.4.2 physics
2.4.2 health and armor
2.4.2 weapon balance (including longer nex animation) with these modifications: 2.3 Crylink, 2.5 Camping Rifle (for now), and a re-balanced HLAC
New Xonotic look and atmosphere

I agree. In addition, limited trials with less weapon switch time (or none at all) to see how it works.
In addition, make it so that all leaders must agree to change balance settings AT ALL.

(04-12-2010, 09:58 PM)Roanoke Wrote: I agree. In addition, limited trials with less weapon switch time (or none at all) to see how it works.
In addition, make it so that all leaders must agree to change balance settings AT ALL.

I like the idea of UC1/UT2k3 style fast weapon switch. Also I've submitted the idea to the dev tracker. We'll see what happens. Hell if somebody can tell me how, I may be able to balance the game myself. I imagine it would just be tweaking values right?

http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/94

(04-09-2010, 01:20 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Nex: Keep damage high, don't make it fall off (it's a sniper rifle), push can fall off, but make projectile "smaller" (so it's more difficult to hit a target).
Impossible, the "projectile" its already zero sized.

(04-09-2010, 01:20 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Armor: Cap armor at 300, rot down to 150.
Health: Cap health at 400, rot down to 200.
why? this is just making hp 200 the new hp 100 and ar 150 the new ar 100. Its more or less the same thing as brining all the weps damage down a bit (witch may be needed, but then just do that instead ;).

Atm I think Nexuiz 2.5.2 hp/at limits and rot would be good enough, perhaps with the add of keep players from picking up the larger hp/ar pickups when already stacked.

for me is 2.4.2 really great version without weapon_lag and ping_lag as new versions Smile

2.4.2 was already bad. 2.0 was the best nexuiz.

Setting the switch time to zero is uber easy. Just changing a value. In defaultNexuiz.cfg (I think) change g_balance_weaponswitchdelay to 0.
(04-13-2010, 01:49 AM)tZork Wrote:
(04-09-2010, 01:20 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Nex: Keep damage high, don't make it fall off (it's a sniper rifle), push can fall off, but make projectile "smaller" (so it's more difficult to hit a target).
Impossible, the "projectile" its already zero sized.
Did not know this.

(04-13-2010, 01:49 AM)tZork Wrote: Atm I think Nexuiz 2.5.2 hp/at limits and rot would be good enough, perhaps with the add of keep players from picking up the larger hp/ar pickups when already stacked.
Except when the player in question is an FC or it's during a 1v1 game. It would change things too much otherwise.

Also, I've just tried removing the switch delay, and gameplay is much funner. I suggest adopting this change. The only issue is that there is no longer any animation. An animation, even if purely cosmetic, would be better.

Too drastic changes might be too drastic changes, etc.

plz no armor and health cap. system is good as is

(04-14-2010, 12:21 AM)Agamalama Wrote: plz no armor and health cap. system is good as is

THIS POST BECAME FAR BIGGER THAN I INTENDED, FOR A TL;DR VERSION SKIP TO THE BOTTOM

Agreed. Instead of straight copying Quake III (which the last git I played did with the health and armor) let's try to make this more like Xonotic, everything we all though Nexuiz should have been. Pre-2.5 Nexuiz was a game with the depth of Unreal Tournament 99 built around the crazier elements of Quake World and Deathmatch Classic where bunnyhopping rocket-boosting, anything that would make a CoD player piss themselves isn't an exploit, but an integral part of gameplay. The game was intended to have perfect weapon balance where knowing when and where to use your current arsenal in addition to figuring out how to move around the arena was going to earn you a win. One thing I will stress again is weapon balance, every weapon has a purpose and they don't become more bad ass the higher the number on your keyboard like Quake III's. Each weapon needs to be rock/paper/scissors balanced with the laser mostly being a maneuver weapon and the shotgun being a fallback weapon (but NEVER the best weapon) in case you just respawned or lack the skill to use other weapons (like me and UT99's sniper rifle, I always pull out the Enforcer for long range engagements even though it's inferior, it's easier to use) in your inventory. Damn that was a long post.

TL;DR version:
This needs to be Xonotic (everything Nexuiz should have been), NOT Quake III or Unreal Tournament
Health/Armor caps make this just like Quake III which is lame
Weapons should be balanced in a rock/paper/scissors fashion
Shotgun shouldn't be the best weapon for a given situation, but it should be useful in almost every one (making it a useful fall back weapon)
Console kiddies and tactical (Halo, CoD) players should piss themselves and go home crying to their mommies after playing this for two minutes JUST KIDDING

(04-14-2010, 06:03 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Console kiddies and tactical (Halo, CoD) players should piss themselves and go home crying to their mommies after playing this for two minutes JUST KIDDING

Yes.

I'm not a hardcore Nexuiz player, but it's a fun game. I've played it since 2.3, I think... I don't know what's so universally hated about 2.5, anyone care to elaborate?

(04-14-2010, 04:29 PM)Gaul Wrote: I'm not a hardcore Nexuiz player, but it's a fun game. I've played it since 2.3, I think... I don't know what's so universally hated about 2.5, anyone care to elaborate?

2.5 is fine, its what is in the git right now..........

Which is mostly Samual's balance, which in turn was caused by LH's pressure on certain stuff. We do not have to take that over.

I'm for weapons changes as I said before..2.4.2 movement was less mobile then 2.5, I still prefer a more CPM-style movement, and have spoken to divVerent who has been adding some nice stuff to make it newbie friendly (forward still adds acceleration, no need to strafe like in Q3/CPM), but be able to turn the same as in CPM..anyone who has played nexrun will know what I mean, it's like a cross between nexuiz's physics and nexrun's feels like NANL (nifrek will remember and agama), basically it's just easier to turn and keep speed (you actually gain some slight acceleration).
Oh yea, and why would you want to go back to 2.4.2's physics..2.5 was/is better in everyway, 2.4.2 was so lumpy and really hard to turn..I would rather these be improved still like how divVerent is trying to do otherwise I can't see hardly any existing (quake players anyway) coming to play the game, it'll just get flamed as before for it's movement whilst 2.5 was genearlly accepted that it was moving in the right direction.

Everything else i'm not bothered about, anyway it's upto the Dev's what they want to do, but let's go forward's not backwards Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

2.4.2 physics are definitely not something I want to go back to. I suggest a mixture of 2.4.2 weapon balance and 2.5.2 physics.

I'm currently experimenting with both the weapons balance and the physics right now as you can see on this thread:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...55#pid4955

I started by reverting everything to 2.4.2 and then modifying off of that. The weapons are better balanced and don't feel redundant any more (they each have their purpose as well as a rock/paper/scissors balance and the crylink acts like a crylink now) and the physics don't really act like 2.4.2 (they're closer to Deathmatch Classic and QuakeWorld now). Unfortunately because of the physics being handled differently in Xonotic than 2.5.2 the only way to mess with them is to get the git version of the game which sucks because that's potentially less feedback I can get.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.