Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Nexball Mapping Contest

And here is the final version. I tweaked the jump pads so they are a bit smaller, replaced a few clips with "out" fields, and added a few graphical tweaks somewhere you might not expect. Wink

http://ompldr.org/vYzBleQ

[Image: O1n3m.jpg]

Last contribution from Soelen, for the contest!

~dearbumperball.pk3~

[Image: dearbumperball.jpg]

A 4 player nexball map with A LOT of customizations... I !@~s# up a lot of cvars for custom player models ball, grenade etc etc. Was fun to make this map and it is fun to play it with lots of players! I dont know why but I feel like in a mario kart battle =D

Credits are written down in the mapinfo, thanks to everyone who helped me, and please tell me if I forgot mentioning someone in the mapinfo file, they sure were a lot of people!

Edit: I also want to mention not everyone sees the customized grenate model, I guess that depends what client you have, normal, git version, autobuilt etc etc. I would wish if customizations like changing the grenate model would not depend on that anymore D:

Funny, you are playing an ego shooter game but it doesnt feels like that anymore not to mention no mod is used =D
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

wow, originality > 9000
somewhere

The contest is now over!

if i counted right there have been 10 maps in total submitted.

If you want to play test them, pinkrobot set up a server.

PinkRobot's Lovely Nexball Server.

The results will be in soon.
Here is a list with all 10 submission.

1. Mayanball by Morphed
http://www.morphed.planetnexuiz.com/mayanball.pk3

2. SWAT-SD by nowego4
http://ompldr.org/vYnZzcg/swat-sd_v2.pk3

3. Ariel by kuniu the frogg
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ar...7afedb.pk3

4. Bloodball by Maddin
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31065422/Xonotic..._final.pk3

5. Aerial-match by forseti
http://ompldr.org/vYnU2ZQ/aerial-match.pk3

6. Dustball by monad
http://ompldr.org/vYnc4eg

7. Deardrugball by Soelen
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31528944/deardrugball.pk3

8. Gears'n'Balls by freefang
http://ompldr.org/vYzBleQ

9. Basket_Case by PinkRobot
http://www.peacebrothers.net/curl/nexbal...t_case.pk3

10.Dearbumperball by Soelen
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31528944/dearbumperball.pk3
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

So after playtesting all of these last night, here are my judgements and possible improvement suggestions.

1) Mayanball

Originality: 9
Gameplay: 8
Eyecandy: 8
Overall: 8

Interesting idea this map, although I think the goals need some work. It is quite easy to defend your goal if you just camp inside the base. Perhaps jumppads could help here too?

I really like the drop point for the ball, as you can do a trick jump on the slopes to get high up.

2) Swat-sd

Originality: 8
Gameplay: 6
Eyecandy: 7
Overall: 6

I think the goals really need some work on this map, it is pretty much random whether the ball drops in or not. Other than that a very good map!

3) Ariel

Originality: 5
Eyecandy: 6

This map is too large, and somehow it is really difficult to score a goal in a real match. The ball also touches the ceiling quite often, making it hard to take it with you.

4) Bloodball

Originality: 6
Gameplay: 7
Overall: 7

Interesting map, but it also suffers from the same problem as Ariel. The cables and other things on the roof are good looking, but the ball gets stuck there quite often, and the same goes for the crates on the ground. It is also a real pity that the ball cannot be teleported.

5) Aerial-match

Originality: 7
Overall: 7

Cool way of solving the ball dropping problem, and it works very well. This map is also fun to play.

6) Dustball

Originality: 5

This map doesn't really seem to work. When the ball drops it either goes into a goal very quickly, or it is gone towards the hills where it will stay for a very long time. I'd suggest making the playing field larger, and putting a fence around it.

7) Deardrugball

Originality: 7
Gameplay: 2
Overall: 3

Not sure which drugs invoked the creation of this - but I want some.

8) Gears 'n' Balls

Originality: 8

Fun map, but the idea of awarding a point to the other team for standing underneath the ball drop is quite bad. I understand that you're trying to tackle this problem, but please look at Aerial-match and mayanball for other solutions. Or rather than give the other team a point, you could simply kill the person doing it.

9) Basket case

Originality: 6
Gameplay: 7

This map could be very good with some simple tweaks, but currently I don't like it much. It is very difficult to score, with or without using the jumppads. And I don't think we need the changing rooms on the map. Another problem is that there is a lot of pieces in the ground/walls sticking out - which make the ball bounce back.

10) Dearbumperball

Originality: 9
Eyecandy: 8

I realise that I am insane, but I simply love this map. This is probably the best use I've seen of having 4 teams on a map, and the bombs just add up to the fun. Perhaps you could make the goals a bit more pretty, and the grey area behind the goals is pretty boring.

Anyway thanks a lot for all your submissions! Lots of good stuff, and I enjoyed playtesting these maps.
Before posting a reply, please read about the bikeshed.

Congrats Morphed!

When do tourney arrangements begin?

And thanks to merlijn for giving us his time to playtest Smile

(01-06-2012, 08:36 AM)nowego4 Wrote: Congrats Morphed!
And thanks to merlijn for giving us his time to playtest Smile
it's a bit to early for congratulations. there 2 other judges, which need to judge the maps.

(01-06-2012, 08:36 AM)nowego4 Wrote: When do tourney arrangements begin?

When all results are in.
The tourney starts when the 1on1/duel tourney is over.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Cheers for your marks merlijn! It will be interesting to see what the other judges think of the maps. I hope they will not be influenced by your results though Wink

About my own map Basket_Case: it will get easier to score once I can make the jumppads go higher again. Right now there is no sane way of keeping players off of the basket because of the way jumppads now affect the ball. I will return those characteristics of the map to the original, which worked very well, once it is safe to do so.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(01-06-2012, 08:47 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: it's a bit to early for congratulations. there 2 other judges, which need to judge the maps.

Oh, I had assumed they had discussed this on irc or through PMs, sry!

Derp.

As much as I would like to say that penalizing players directly underneath the ball was intentional, it isn't.
There was a leftover nexball_fault entity at 0,0 I din't notice since it didn't have any volume.
Easy to fix for a next release, though too bad I didn't find out about this before the final contest version. Sleepy

(01-06-2012, 09:45 AM)nowego4 Wrote:
(01-06-2012, 08:47 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: it's a bit to early for congratulations. there 2 other judges, which need to judge the maps.

Oh, I had assumed they had discussed this on irc or through PMs, sry!

Derp.
And you forgot too Soelen has got just as much points with dearBumperball Tongue

Yeah right Mepper one, show him who is the man in this thread! He will think next time twice before he is going to mess around with us!
[Image: dearsailors.png]

Sorry for the delay. And here are my votes and descriptions:

Mayanball:
- Originality 9
- Gameplay 7
- Eyecandy 8
- Overall 8
Very beautiful and nicely done! We need more maps like this Smile Biggest complaint is that it's too small and the layout is too simple. Also, if this map were to be expanded, even more eye candy could be added (eg: better terrain).

SWAT-SD:
- Originality 7
- Gameplay 8
- Eyecandy 6
- Overall 7
Quite nicely done. The gameplay is nice thanks to the small but well defined layout, and the need to use the stairs to knock the ball off that platform. This map could use some more detail however.

Ariel:
- Originality 7
- Gameplay 6
- Eyecandy 8
- Overall 7
Nothing too special, but I like. It looks nice and plays well, although large empty layouts don't do that well for gameplay IMO.

Bloodball:
- Originality 6
- Gameplay 7
- Eyecandy 7
- Overall 7
Not much to say. It's a good map with classic looks and layout, and the gameplay is good.

Ariel-match:
- Originality 5
- Gameplay 6
- Eyecandy 4
- Overall 5
The fun part of this map is the bouncing ball that levitates. Other than that, I don't find the layout and gameplay very exciting, and there's a big lack of eye candy.

Dustball:
- Originality 8
- Gameplay 5
- Eyecandy 8
- Overall 7
Gameplay isn't special but I like the environment, especially the detailed terrain. Love those "is best team" panels too Wink

Deardrugball:
- Originality 5
- Gameplay 2
- Eyecandy 3
- Overall 2
The music, sounds and skull mesh are great. Everything else... please no.

Gears'n'Balls:
- Originality 7
- Gameplay 5
- Eyecandy 5
- Overall 6
A nice map with an original environment. Not sure if more could have been added for its purpose. Gameplay is too basic again.

Basket_case:
- Originality 6
- Gameplay 8
- Eyecandy 7
- Overall 7
The layout and looks are nice, and gameplay is a bit different than most open maps. I like.

Dearbumperball:
- Originality 8
- Gameplay 6
- Eyecandy 5
- Overall 4
The idea and layout are original and nice (although not my thing). I also like the gameplay and the way you score goals. This map was difficult to play though... both because it got boring, and the screams in those announcers made me want to scream too Tongue

That's the second judge reporting in, thanks for your time MirceaKitsune!

One thing I only recently noticed on Gears'n'Balls: you can use the gears to score. Silly of me not to notice that sooner. I like it :p

Thank you for your time, MK! No need to apologize, we actually got a lot maps from this contest (and besides, I hear there's this new virus running around called "Real Life").

Here I am, late to the party. I must apologize because I've caught the virus nowego mentioned above :>

Anywho, here are my ratings! I am totally impressed by all maps. I see the mapper's personality shining through in each one Smile

Mayanball:
- Originality 9
- Gameplay 9
- Eyecandy 7
- Overall 8
Great eyecandy and a goal that is manageable. Sizeable, but not too big. A fantastic nexball map!

Bloodball:
- Originality 3
- Gameplay 8
- Eyecandy 7
- Overall 8
A solid design with great audio. Fits well with the existing Xonotic feel.

Ariel-match:
- Originality 5
- Gameplay 8
- Eyecandy 3
- Overall 7
A compelling design, but lacking some much-needed eyecandy. The center bounce adds a great challenge!

SWAT-SD:
- Originality 5
- Gameplay 7
- Eyecandy 6
- Overall 7
Nicely done, with a great design for the initial drop-ball. Overall 7, second to Ariel-match on size alone - it felt a little cramped.

Ariel:
- Originality 3
- Gameplay 6
- Eyecandy 4
- Overall 6
Rather repetitive and simplistic, but with laser-focus on movement. Avoiding the normal gimmicks is what I like about this one.

Gears'n'Balls:
- Originality 8
- Gameplay 2
- Eyecandy 4
- Overall 6
I love the gears, but they are pretty predictable with respect to gameplay.

Dustball:
- Originality 2
- Gameplay 2
- Eyecandy 6
- Overall 5
Too small to be interesting, but the panels are funny and gets a +1 for the xonotic placard in the middle!

Deardrugball:
- Originality 5
- Gameplay 2
- Eyecandy 5
- Overall 4
Oh my...I think I had to grab some aspirin for this one. Try it and see for yourself!

Basket_case:
- Originality 9
- Gameplay 1
- Eyecandy 3
- Overall 4
Extremely original, but unplayable. I wanted to sink a basket SO BAD but couldn't! If the baskets were more makeable this would be a top pick for sure.

Dearbumperball:
- Originality 6
- Gameplay 2
- Eyecandy 5
- Overall 4
I had a very hard time navigating this one, but the models were hilarious and the sounds were great too. I lol-ed several times Smile
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Yay! Thanks to all the judges and Cortez for this competition. We will wait for Cortez for the final results of course, but this competition was a big succes I think.

As a nexball server owner I would like to thank all the other mappers for their maps. If you have another neat idea for a nexball map, make it! It will find a good home on my server.

I am planning to remake a lot of the old maps like I did with the basketball map. That one will also receive some fixes soon.

Be sure to come and play those, the competition maps and any future maps at PinkRobot's Lovely Nexball Server!

Here are the results!

1) Mayanball

Originality: 27
Gameplay: 24
Eyecandy: 23
Overall: 24
score: 8,16

2) Swat-sd

Originality: 20
Gameplay: 21
Eyecandy: 19
Overall: 20
score: 6,66

3) Bloodball

Originality: 15
Gameplay: 22
Eyecandy: 20
Overall: 22
score: 6,58

4) Dearbumperball

Originality: 23
Gameplay: 16
Eyecandy: 18
Overall: 16
score: 6,08

4) Gears 'n' Balls

Originality: 23
Gameplay: 15
Eyecandy: 15
Overall: 20
score: 6,08

6) Aerial-match

Originality: 17
Eyecandy: 13
Overall: 19
score: 5,91

7) Ariel

Gameplay: 18
Eyecandy: 18
score: 5,83

7) Basket case

Originality: 21
Gameplay: 16
Eyecandy: 16
Overall: 17
score: 5,83

9) Dustball

Gameplay: 13
Eyecandy: 21
Overall: 18
score: 5,58

10) Deardrugball

Eyecandy: 15
Overall: 9
score: 3,91

I added all the data, i got from the judges and divided them by the amount of values. That's the way i got the final score.

Tomorrow i post a conclusion of the contest.

6) Aerial-match

Eyecandy: 13
score: 5,91

In the case of my map you can add all the eyecandiness you want, i had a lot of ideas but i am lazy and then i did nothing.

Maybe one of you is more patient and can fix it Tongue

GG everyone, it was a great contest, both to participate in and to play the maps of all the other contestants!
I'll upload a fixed version of my map that doesn't randomly fault players underneath the dropper soon.
By the way, just because I'm curious, how many who played Gears 'n' Balls did see the basement?

Nice to see the results! Close to what I expected for most maps Smile Nice contest overall.

What? Deardrugball got place 10? I can't believe it... that means... I am in the top 10 wohoooo!

Nice people, cool maps, awesome contest. Thanks for the comments and critiques from everyone and Cortez666 for his manly power to organize this contest.

I sure learned a lot by looking how everyone else constructed their maps. I saw neat tricks, I understood how some problems were solved. Thanks to everyone who also inputed a .map file into their pk3's.

now now, there is only one thing what we all can, or may I say have to do

[Image: captain.gif]

Edit: I'm a dick. I forgot to contratulate Morphed, congrats dude : )

Here are some comments form the host of the contest.

Mayanball by Morphed
It's a pretty good visual combination and the gameplay is also good. Sure the goals are a weak point, but with some team coordination this is a reward competitive map.

SWAT-SD by nowego4
This map is a quiet interesting variation of the football mode. Scoring is a little too hard in my opinion but all in all a good and original map.

Ariel by kuniu the frogg
This map has a lot of waisted potential, which makes it monotonous. Gameplaywise it's safe, with no experiments. Overall it's a disappointment.

Bloodball by Maddin
Visually its a polished map, with a own style. It's a map with safe a soild gameplay.

Aerial-match by forseti
Interesting variation of the standart nexball layout, but with no overall theme.

Dustball by monad
Nexballarena in the desert. The gameplay is as weak as in nexballarena.

Deardrugball by Soelen
Erm... okayy. Cvar testing at its best.

Gears'n'Balls by freefang
Interesting idea but the execution is not good. It's goals are hard to spot and it's too easy to score. Also the visuals are quiet basic.

Basket_Case by PinkRobot
The classic nexball map with quiet a bunch of addition, but sadly the scoring is as hard as always.

Dearbumperball by Soelen
Technically a new mode, with havoc and explosions.

Well, overall i was really surprised that there are so many submission.

I think I should say ´thank you´ to everybody! It was a great experience to participate in this contest and I learned a lot. Smile

Cortez666 Wrote:Bloodball by Maddin
Visually its a polished map, with a own style. It's a map with safe a soild gameplay.
That puts it in a nutshell in my opinion! Smile

So is it now safe to congratulate Morphed? I guess it is... Congratulations Morphed!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Invasion mapping contest Kotangens 2 5,587 12-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: end user
Lightbulb [Easy Community Contest]- Rank Yourself Ridgebeam 18 9,439 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Ridgebeam
  Mapping contest for duel maps (idea) RazorDodger 10 4,132 05-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm) Antares* 28 13,656 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Last Post: _para
  Mapping contests participation Justin 17 20,854 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 Mirio 81 75,325 08-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: shogun_assassin
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 - Brainstorming SPLAT 15 16,472 06-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest (sponsored by Sapphire) asyyy 57 80,845 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Justin
  GlobalGamers CTF Mapping Contest Voting Samual 58 66,586 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Mario
  CTF Mapping Contest (by GlobalGamers) Samual 110 126,346 08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Samual