Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tell me what YOU want in a server

So I'm relocating my server to my apartment in Philadelphia. Faster internet, fewer outages, quicker access for new features and such.

I've been neglecting my Xonotic servers, but I'm going to get back on it once my server is at my place (tomorrow).

What I want to know is, what do YOU want in "Jay's Community Server" (or something like that... name is up for changing lol).

Please discuss here the things you'd like to see in a server to make it great. Post maps, gametype suggestions, config files welcome, anything you like. I want this server to be about YOU and what YOU want, so start telling me!

I'd say GIT, or at least autobuild server, and for now, because we're struggling to find players, DM or CTF would be a good idea.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Philadelphia eh? That'll be fun.

How many servers are you putting up? Didn't you have more than one before?

Anyway, here's my take on maps:

DM: Default + some of the other good ones, like Azalea, Solarium (optimized one), Atomforge, Above, oh and Maze! Maze is really good for casual playing. Maze is also good for other less common modes if you have a votable server (FT, KH, etc)

CTF: Default + some of the other good ones, like Vorix, Attic, Apace, Psychward Wink, and maybe Implosion.

I don't like it when servers put on all those Q3 and even some Nexuiz maps, mainly because those maps aren't built for Xonotic's physics or weapon balance.

If you have a votable one, make sure there is a nobots option.

As far as voteable configs go, the only one I would consider putting up would be XPM physics. Maybe a minsta with offhand hook too.

Good luck with the server and thanks for contributing!

I would very much like something like laid back delight or HOCTF, those servers are great.
Noobing around since three hours ago.

(11-05-2011, 03:32 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Philadelphia eh? That'll be fun.

How many servers are you putting up? Didn't you have more than one before?

Yeah, that's where I live now and it should be good for people on the east coast USA.

I can put up a number of servers, depending on what everyone wants and how easily I can maintain them. I have 3 servers (DM, CTF, and voteable GIT), but they're each in various states of disrepair and were kind of slapped together. I'ma do it right this time, I want to host games that people actually WANT to play in, that will be kept updated.

I had a *thought* (mind you this is an idea, I've taken no steps to implement it yet), of adding a form on my website where people could configure and start their own temporary private (or public) server. You'd be able to set up all the game settings + maps + configs etc. from a form on the web page, and it would start a game on my server for a short period of time (probably only a few hours). This would be useful for clans and other groups, or just picky players. Anyway, just an idea for now.

I'm not on the east of USA or any other country which means it is unlikely that I will use your servers. There are lots of CTF and DM servers, so I suggest a multi-mode server. With Key Hunt, Freeze Tag and possibly Domination. If you prefer DM then include Rune Match.

I probably wouldn't play on it either (from Europe), but I would love to see some servers (preferably both EU and US) with changing/random game modes per match, not just voteable game modes. It'd be nice to be able to play a variety of modes without having to wait in empty servers.

One other thing, I prefer servers with set, easily seen character. Glowing Erebus or Mega Erebus with fullbright would be my preference (there's nothing worse than a duel on a dark map against an umbra Tongue)

Anyway, I'd love to see FT around again, if you decide to put up a voteable server.

My only other idea is a N00B server, since if you idle on American server you will eventually get a few pop in. On EU servers this doesn't seem to happen as much as they have more players that stuck around with the fork. Now there's only a handful of good NA Xonotic players that actually play.

Is it even possible to force the server to change modes after so many rounds?

Yes, it certainly is possible to force another mode after has mode has been played a couple of times.
Akari's votable servers have that.

Just an idea, but a onslaught server would be very cool. The rounds last a long time, and it allows for quite a bit of teamwork, more than CTF IMO.
Noobing around since three hours ago.

(11-06-2011, 09:32 PM)Infofoed Wrote: Just an idea, but a onslaught server would be very cool. The rounds last a long time, and it allows for quite a bit of teamwork, more than CTF IMO.

Are there enough good ONS maps yet to warrant a server?

Do we have a list/documentation somewhere of parameters to use in config files? I'm still a noob when it comes to that, and setting up servers for voting/etc. beyond the script that FruityX posted a while back.

(11-06-2011, 03:37 PM)Mepper Wrote: Yes, it certainly is possible to force another mode after has mode has been played a couple of times.

Akari's votable servers do that with some fancy gamecode modding, though, to determine which map does which gametype on votescreens, and other stuff.

JayWalker, whichever direction (game modes, etc) you decide to go with your servers I'd like to see you configure stats for them. It takes five minutes - ping me on IRC or here if you're interested.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(11-10-2011, 01:27 PM)Antibody Wrote: JayWalker, whichever direction (game modes, etc) you decide to go with your servers I'd like to see you configure stats for them. It takes five minutes - ping me on IRC or here if you're interested.

I was planning on it Wink

An East Coast server would be great!

I'd like to see one with alternating game modes and no mutators.

(11-10-2011, 03:05 AM)nilyt Wrote:
(11-06-2011, 03:37 PM)Mepper Wrote: Yes, it certainly is possible to force another mode after has mode has been played a couple of times.

Akari's votable servers do that with some fancy gamecode modding, though, to determine which map does which gametype on votescreens, and other stuff.

Is there an easier way I could set this up? I've got "Jay's Philly Cheese Steak" up right now with voteable gametypes/maps, but I would like to set up an auto rotating server.

nowego4 Wrote:Anyway, I'd love to see FT around again, if you decide to put up a voteable server

I'll probably set up a dedicated FT server, I like that gametype a lot.

Antibody Wrote:JayWalker, whichever direction (game modes, etc) you decide to go with your servers I'd like to see you configure stats for them. It takes five minutes - ping me on IRC or here if you're interested.

Just set up stats with the instructions from your thread. Should start seeing stats from my server soon I suppose.

Can you do something similar to what this guy did on his server?
You can read the description for basic details.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0GPeE_iQg

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,829 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy