Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Xonotic system requirements needed

It would be helpful if there was a section on the website which shows the system requirements of Xonotic. Especially the minimal system requirements are necessary. So we could avoid some trouble and frustration with Xonotic. It could be place in the FAQs or the Download area.
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

This is a very good idea, maybe those who have undersized equipment could post their specs, Xonotic version and hacks to improve their performance.

I agree. Xonotic can be a FPS whore at times. It will really lag if real world lighting/bloom/HDR/relief mapping are enable on maps that aren't optimised properly.
Also, decals on models causes MASSIVE lag at the moment.

Let me deduce some minimum specs from my rig:
  • 2GHz i686
  • 1GB RAM
  • Shader 2.0 compatible GPU
I post that, because I can run Xonotic with such a configuration equally well (same framerate, about 50 FPS) from low to medium effect settings (CPU = bottleneck). Serious lagging occurs on ultra settings only. However, the framerate depends on what map is running. Default maps like 'stormkeep' or 'xoylent' run perfect, others result in serious lagging (maybe quake ported? dunno). I also have an 'apollo 133' Voodoo2 SLI machine standing around, I'll check whether xonotic runs on archaic architecture around x-mas Big Grin
[Image: 3dfx.jpg]
"If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of shit, because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?" - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

The game seems to run better than Nexuiz 2.4 and 2.5 ever did and I ran 2.4 pretty well on just a socket 478 Pentium 4 HT 3GHz, 2GB of DDR, and a PCI (NOT PCIE or AGP) 64 bit Geforce 6200 with 256 MB. Only issue is I had to cap the FPS fairly low if I turned on some of the optional stuff such as shadows and fancy lighting, bloom didn't do a whole lot of damage to the frame rate shockingly.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Quote:Serious lagging occurs on ultra settings only
Don't worry, lagging is what those settings are really made for.

Just for giggles, I tried Xonotic on a laptop with a 3.06GHz P4 and an ATI Radeon Mobility 9000. The CPU is more than adequate, but the GPU just couldn't cut it. I was amazed it worked at all, but well below a playable FPS. Effects settings were all bottomed out, of course.

I'm not sure if there's a tweak to get around this, but lower end cards I've tested like Nvidia x200/x300/x400 seem to be unable to achieve a truly fluid framerate, regardless of detail settings. Lowering detail will increase framerate to a point, but seems to top out even as settings are adjusted lower and lower. It's playable, but the framerate is 'visible,' so to speak. These cards work great for bot matches, but it's definitely a disadvantage against human players. Mid/high end cards like x600/x800 don't behave this way. Has anyone else seen this?

Video cards tested:
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 - Unplayable
Nvidia GeForce 6200 - Playable
Nvidia GeForce 7300LE - Playable
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT - Smooth
Nvidia GeForce 8400GS - Playable
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS - Smooth
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

It's not unplayable until you tested Damn Small Xonotic with r_showsurfaces 3

I don't know if Akari plans to keep it up to date: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1427

I'm going to take a guess and say minimum requirements are going to be close to:
Pentium 4 2.4GHz or better
Nvidia Geforce 6200 or better
1 GB of RAM or better
and HDD space

It should be noted that I've actually been able to tweak an old GIT version the game (which in comparison to the client out now was poorly optimized) to run on an old EMachines minitower from 7 years ago that only had a 2.4Ghz Celeron (32 bit Pentium 4-based one) a gig of RAM and some integrated pre-AMD ATI junk. So even running the game on older hardware than what I listed may still be doable if your willing to get your hands dirty. The game did only 17fps (consistently, would spike up from time to time into the 20s) though lol but that was still playable to me due to the monitor refresh rate being 60 as opposed to 75 or higher.

Oh wait.

Hello. Smile
I use a single Athlon XP 1600+, a single GeForce 3 ti 200, and 1.25 Gio of RAM.
I's the minimum: bots need lots of CPU.

It will run on really old hardware, just not well :/

It's playable on my laptop, on "low" settings at 800x600. Hardware is Turion X2 (dual core, 1.6ghz), 2gb ram and a geforce go 6150. Averages 23fps on "the-big-keybench'. Tested this with the 0.5 release.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+, a Geforce 7600GS (256MB) and 512MB RAM and Xonotic is not playable. I believe the RAM is the bottleneck.

(11-26-2011, 02:19 PM)RaptorFX Wrote: I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+, a Geforce 7600GS (256MB) and 512MB RAM and Xonotic is not playable. I believe the RAM is the bottleneck.
I suppose that the game is at the minimum (640*480, no bot...).
Did you tried DSX ?

(11-26-2011, 07:17 PM)RedGuff Wrote: I suppose that the game is at the minimum (640*480, no bot...).
Did you tried DSX ?

Yes, the game settings were on Minimum but with 1024*768. I don't know what you mean with DSX, I've never read this before.

But the PC is broken now. I have no chance to try something else out Undecided

Xonotic just runs on every cp. On ultra settings you can always get a low fps Tongue And you can manually make it as ugly as XonoticAkari, and that works always, that is so ugly.

(11-27-2011, 03:53 PM)RaptorFX Wrote: I don't know what you mean with DSX.

Damn Small Xonotic:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1427

Any statement from the developers?

Its hard to come up with system requirements. It runs on just abt anything from an old toaster to a cray from mars. What counts as "playable" differ alot from person to person. Of course we could state some generic mumble like "2ghz k8 or better, 1 gig of ram and a pot of raspberry jam" but i doubt it would help anyone.

(12-29-2011, 02:59 AM)tZork Wrote: Its hard to come up with system requirements. It runs on just abt anything from an old toaster to a cray from mars. What counts as "playable" differ alot from person to person. Of course we could state some generic mumble like "2ghz k8 or better, 1 gig of ram and a pot of raspberry jam" but i doubt it would help anyone.

Perhaps rather than specifying "system requirements", instead have "recommended system specs" so that users can have a general idea of whether their machine will run it well on "normal" settings.

A recommended system in my opinion would be able to run the game at 1920 x 1080 (standard res for PC) using the high preset, while still being able to stay a little above an average monitor's refresh rate (60hz, so around 70fps average would be ideal) with vsync disabled.

EDIT Just ran the big keybench using the above settings, my configuration more than meets that, specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4, 3GHz
GPU: Geforce 9800GTX, 1GB GDDR3, 256 bit interface, 128 Stream Processors (CUDA cores)
RAM: 4GB DDR2, 1066

Oh wait.

What kind of loading times do you guys get? For some reason, on Xonotic-high, the player models and the map itself seem to take a while to load. Is that because they are really high-res?
Xonotic-regular didn't seem to suffer from this, and I don't really notice the difference between regular and high.

(01-02-2012, 08:40 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: The player models and the map itself seem to take a while to load.
Please add some informations :
Do you have SSD? What is the speed of your hard drive?
"A while to load": 30 seconds? 3 minutes?

Graphic card : ASUS Ares -4 GB memory GGDR5
CPU: 8-core AMD should be fine
LCD about 67 inches also'd be nice addition
Now u can turn your graphic settings on the "ultra" without slowing the game down Big Grin

Don't forgot about at least 5000 GB free on your disc.

Edit: Also I forget about special team required to cooling it down Smile

Hey I actually have an Ares (I swear on my life), but I still can't play on Ultra with lots of bots. Some maps don't work well with things like HDR and Real Time World Lighting, so the FPS comes tumbling down. Oh and the Ultra pre-set enables Decals-on-models which utterly destroys the framerate. System requirements should be released whenever the official maps are properly optimised and support the graphics features.

Anyway, on Xonotic Regular, my loading times are about 20-30 seconds, but on Xonotic-high, they are about 1-2 mins. I don't have an SSD (I have a Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb), but I'm getting one soon. Mmmm, Vertex 3 120gb.

Weird, I think my load times are about 30 seconds or less on Xonotic-high and I'm pretty sure I have a standard HDD.

HDD Specs
-------
Seagate Barracuda
1 Terabyte of total space
7200 RPM
32 MB cache
SATA interface

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] A game package should contain all needed components kanatov 2 4,321 03-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Last Post: kanatov
  [SUGGESTION] Matchmaking system? machine! 14 13,561 09-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Better Singleplayer AND A better pause system satuim 13 14,051 08-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Last Post: satuim
  [SUGGESTION] A small addition to the spawn system Dodge 25 23,929 07-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] XP system for stats cccxd 10 10,334 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] Kick idlers only when needed! unfa 12 14,236 05-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] extended gravity system hutty 19 18,894 04-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] some kind of system to schedule matches/meetups jammo 5 6,603 10-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Last Post: lda17h
  [SUGGESTION] Unified icon system to give info about players unfa 18 22,250 11-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Rust Heart
  [SUGGESTION] Permanent ladder system, raking in-game PGP_Qz 9 14,385 09-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Last Post: PGP_Qz