Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyperspace (beta)

This is a medium sized dm map that I've been working on for quite some time now. Development has been really slow, mostly because of school, so I'm uploading this unfinished version because it's at least playable.

The key feature of this map is the use of warpzones, and I've gone for a sort of TRON style.

Screenshots:
[Image: msl210jf7qi3sw79k6p_thumb.jpg][Image: 9k6iork3m03urqoy7m16_thumb.jpg][Image: vth69aywkyf406qeidmu_thumb.jpg][Image: wh3p4yp6v9wx2kihayu_thumb.jpg]

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORh6NfQRDxg

TODO:
  • Gameplay testing
  • Texture alignment

Download:
http://ompldr.org/vYjlpbQ

All feedback appreciated (especially about item placement.)
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Oh man. This map looks really nifty from the video.
I wish it had a bit more color too it though.

Woah, video's screwin' with my head. Should be pretty cool to play on. In my opinion should be included in the official release if and when it gets finished since it looks both like a good demo of what can be done with the tools available for the game as well as a fun to play map.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I want to experience the effects the warp zones have on the gameplay on that map. Can anyone put it as a voteable map on a public server pls?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Hyperheadache Wink

I like the uncluttered design.
Will test it.
Fat.bot.Slim

Huh... Interesting.

I play-tested it, without opponents or bots so far. Now I have a knot in my brainz. Thank you.

If I'd play this as dm or even as duel, I am sure I would get some more knots in my brainz. Anyone volounteers to put it onto a EU server?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(11-15-2011, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: I play-tested it, without opponents or bots so far. Now I have a knot in my brainz. Thank you.

If I'd play this as dm or even as duel, I am sure I would get some more knots in my brainz. Anyone volounteers to put it onto a EU server?

Try playing it with v_psycho 1 set Tongue A grapple hook to increase game speed can't hurt either lol

Oh wait.

I'd recommend that you don't play with bots, as there aren't any waypoints on the map. Even with waypoints, I'm pretty sure that bots won't play the map as intended anyway!

My biggest problem with this map is how it looks. I mean, it's gray all over. I tried setting all the brightness settings to minimum just for kicks, and it didn't actually turn out that bad.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1405/...tness0.png

(11-16-2011, 03:50 AM)Sowinov Wrote: My biggest problem with this map is how it looks. I mean, it's gray all over. I tried setting all the brightness settings to minimum just for kicks, and it didn't actually turn out that bad.
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1405/...tness0.png

I opened the console and typed in: "v_psycho 1". It almost like the map was made for it.

Oh wait.

I see why glow still shows, but why do the specular highlight thingies on the walls?

Edit: ah, is that fakelight? It kind of looks like it...

(11-16-2011, 11:36 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I see why glow still shows, but why do the specular highlight thingies on the walls?

Edit: ah, is that fakelight? It kind of looks like it...

Are you talking about these?
[Image: 0l5r9k5134a7c43sggzy_thumb.png]

The thing is, I have absolutely no idea how they got there! I've been trying to get rid of them, but since I don't know what's causing it I've sort of given up.

Oh no, not talking about that. I was commenting the no-brightness test screenshot from Sowinov. I should quote posts where it's ambiguous, sorry about this Smile

I thought those highlights that you're pointing out were intentional. Perhaps someone here understands what causes them, I'm afraid I don't have any mapping-related experience to help.

That's a shader, isnt it? I had a similar problem with some textures in Nexuiz.

looks like surfacelight with high q3map_lightSubdivide

Hi ThePWTULN,

I had the chance to play this map earlier this week, and want to extend my thanks for making it. It's certainly interesting to play on, and you can get some unique moves happening around the 'cliff-face' warpzones.

You noted in your original post that this is an unfinished version; if I may ask, what are your plans for the finished version?

(Finally, although AFAIK this doesn't have anything to do with the map itself, I wanted to note it was helpful to me in finalising a submission to the Xonotic Bug Tracker earlier today... so thanks again!)
aexoxea

(11-16-2011, 06:07 PM)tZork Wrote: looks like surfacelight with high q3map_lightSubdivide

Do you know how I can get rid of it?

(11-18-2011, 04:01 AM)aexoxea Wrote: You noted in your original post that this is an unfinished version; if I may ask, what are your plans for the finished version?

The two main things are:
  • Finalised item placement - After proper playtesting, I'll know whether there's too much/too little armour/health, or if the weapon selection is good etc.
  • Texture alignment - You can see from the screenshots that the textures don't line up with surface edges. This needs to be fixed.

I recently played the map and thought it was great

keep up the good work
Don't just live life with work.
Find some time every day to have some fun. Wink

Great, taught me how does the 4th dimension work.

* My cat is trying to catch the cursor as I type.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(11-18-2011, 01:51 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote:
(11-16-2011, 06:07 PM)tZork Wrote: looks like surfacelight with high q3map_lightSubdivide

Do you know how I can get rid of it?

edit the shader.

I love the gravity on the ceiling idea. Can't wait to play it. Smile
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

There are a few texture glitches due to the warp zones.Dodgy

examples attached:
Look closely, you'll see it.Sleepy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Don't just live life with work.
Find some time every day to have some fun. Wink

Use a decal for the light strips-it will save alot on geometry!
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

(11-23-2011, 05:12 PM)Chomps123 Wrote: There are a few texture glitches due to the warp zones.Dodgy

examples attached:
Look closely, you'll see it.Sleepy

I am fully aware of this. This is what I meant by 'texture alignment' in the first post.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM] Tatami Gash - 1st Beta Rush 1 1,562 05-09-2022, 06:44 AM
Last Post: PenguinMafia
  [CTF/DM/NB] Ascent (beta 5) _para 22 8,025 07-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [DM/DOM] - Map Beta - Slagpit Notavi 8 3,269 07-15-2020, 11:36 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  TempleCity Beta 2 (Update) _para 6 8,602 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [BETA] PIPE Minkovsky 7 8,686 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM