Create an account

Poll: Language packs for Xonotic
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
63.83%
30 63.83%
No - just English
10.64%
5 10.64%
Maybe / I don't care
25.53%
12 25.53%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
[SUGGESTION] Language packs

(05-01-2010, 09:50 AM)Blub Wrote:
(04-25-2010, 03:18 PM)tZork Wrote: On one hand it'd be 'nice', on the other not really *that* necessary (i think? not like theres a lot of text you have to understand to play the game Wink

What i can say for sure is that a good translation system will be a big piece of work as it involves finding and replacing every (and atm thats all) hard coded text strings in all the code and then mapping them to some form of messages database on the client.

Actually all the text in QC code can already be replaced using a .po file Wink
And in the engine there's mostly errors and cvar descriptions, which aren't that important. Smile

a .poo file? iiish Tongue Well true as that may be Blub (no experience with that system) you'd translate the server's text messages for all clients on the server that way, not really much better then no translation. Would work well for menu/cs tough i suppose.

(05-01-2010, 05:49 PM)tZork Wrote:
(05-01-2010, 09:50 AM)Blub Wrote:
(04-25-2010, 03:18 PM)tZork Wrote: (...)

Actually all the text in QC code can already be replaced using a .po file Wink
And in the engine there's mostly errors and cvar descriptions, which aren't that important. Smile

a .poo file? iiish Tongue Well true as that may be Blub (no experience with that system) you'd translate the server's text messages for all clients on the server that way, not really much better then no translation. Would work well for menu/cs tough i suppose.

True, server messages would need to use a different system of course, there it is only useful for "styled" text (like replacing "A killed B" by "A told B's mom about the broken computer" Tongue)

But I think the menu is actually the place where it's as important as it can get. If people don't speak english well enough to be able to configure the game, it should be possible to see the settings pages in their native language. Also, for CSQC it's definitely useful. If the scoreboard was written in chinese you wouldn't care about score, would you - that is, if you cannot speak chinese Wink

(05-01-2010, 12:54 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
(05-01-2010, 06:53 AM)Exitium Wrote: And as it was said, many english sentences just don't work on other languages - especially when a new voice actor has a completely different voice than the original one.

Again, do you yourself speak other languages?
Yes I do. I'm a Finn and I can speak Finnish (obviously), Swedish, English and a bit German. And all of these languages have horrible dubbing, honestly. German has the best dubbers, but it's horrible anyway...

(05-02-2010, 08:46 AM)Exitium Wrote: Yes I do. I'm a Finn and I can speak Finnish (obviously), Swedish, English and a bit German. And all of these languages have horrible dubbing, honestly. German has the best dubbers, but it's horrible anyway...

Okay, good. Now obviously literal translations are fail, but phrases like "Stay down" can be translated. We just need people who know the vernacular language.

I can make the French translation and also the French audio translation.

I am good at creating music and voices Wink

I think this idea maybe all about coding.
I mean only the developers (coders only) can decide whether this is worth the time or not, and I don't think it is.

and btw, just in case this gets implemented, I can translate into Arabic, although I know not many people use that lagnuage.

Hi, I am able to do Russian language. All for it, of course.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DISCUSSION] Xonotic and QuakeC: How painful could it be rewrite Xonotic in a new language? derrant 2 2,326 07-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Last Post: derrant
  [SUGGESTION] If it is written in a scripting language mzoltan14 19 15,387 09-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo