Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Xonotic in Fedora?

I'm a Fedora GNU/Linux user, and I would like to see Xonotic in the main repository (and other major distributions). Fedora still only includes Nexuiz, which will get more woefully out-of-date as time goes by. I'm definitely not computer-literate enough to maintain packages myself. Perhaps there is some kind of dependency issue (I know Xonotic uses a different engine from Nexuiz), or is the team waiting until a more stable release to do this?

Thanks!!

I actually spoke to one of the Fedora game maintainers at a conference a while back, and they have the feeling that Xonotic 0.5 is not stable yet for inclusion. We obviously believe it is, but I haven't gotten the time to bring this to the Nexuiz' maintainers attention in Fedora.

If you want it included, you should rather create a ticket at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ and get it assigned to the right person. We have no Fedora developers in our team, sorry.
Before posting a reply, please read about the bikeshed.

But I do believe Xonotic uses DarkPlaces, just as Nexuiz, doesn't it?

It does, but the engine Xonotic works with has 2+ years more development time on the block.
Nexuiz works with a current DarkPlaces build. But Xonotic does not work with Nexuiz' DP.

So the distribution would have to package a newer version of it, too. If it actually seperates it.
I know Debian does that now.

I'm involved a bit there, but Xonotic is a kinda big project to package right, complying with debian guidelines. So I won't be doing that, at least for official packages.
Their Games Team might have already picked it up by now, though.

Ok then, I've started a package request at Red Hat's Bugzilla site, here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=760832