Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Imogen BETA3 UPDATE!

Looks much better!

Looks awesome. Thumbs up!

Edit: DL link down?

Ok updated. Wink
You might need to right click, save as.

add something "around" the map to make it look nicer. also, i think its way too "open".
[?] - #kwestion @quakenet

so two questions...

1) are you using ALL of those textures in that directory?

2) are the textures not compressed at all? like TGA or something?

The texture filesize just seems so high. I hope we don't end up with 30MB map sizes on a regular basis in Xonotic.

(04-10-2010, 08:50 PM)Dokujisan Wrote: so two questions...

1) are you using ALL of those textures in that directory?

2) are the textures not compressed at all? like TGA or something?

The texture filesize just seems so high. I hope we don't end up with 30MB map sizes on a regular basis in Xonotic.

1) Yes I deleted the rest of them in the beta version.

2) All textures are .TGA and they are all just 72 dpi an 512x512 px

I don't know why they are all almost 1 Mb per image.

Nice Kay!
Is the map and the textures released under the GPL?

Once you figure out the problem, you could try varying the textures a little more. maybe even just having a different texture for the floor than the walls, etc.

you don't have to of course. it looks very good as is.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(04-11-2010, 08:23 AM)paperclips Wrote: Nice Kay!
Is the map and the textures released under the GPL?

I hope so, most of the textures I made with Filter Forge.

can someone look at this: http://www.filterforge.com/termsofuse.html

The map looks much better. Keep up the good work.

re: filesize
-------------
when you go from 256x256 to 512x512 the filesize isnt doubled, its quadroupled and 1024x1024 is 16 times the size of 256x256!

Thankfully using jpeg compression i have been able to get a 1024 texture down to abou 1 meg in size. However theres 3 layers per material! Then consider that theres up to 20 new materials per map and were looking at 90 megs when usng compressed jpg.

I suggest as a player you go and make some noodles or read an article on slashdot because textures will take a long time do download!

The good news is, it's well worth it, 1024 textures look great when done correctly

But is that amount of detail needed for EVERY texture? Aren't some of the textures small tiles?

I think it's a problem if we start seeing maps with filesizes of 30Mb and up on a regular basis. I know people on my servers complain about maps like that.

fabzor, when you use jpeg compression, do you use 100% quality? I think some textures can still look good with lower compression, depending on the texture design.

you can convert all tga's to jpg for the "in-game release" that will significantly decrease the pk3 file size.

SEE FIRST POST ! Big Grin

Very nice, I like the new update Smile The song is also nicer. I'd still replace the higher wall panels with a glass texture than a grate however (so far there's only one in the trak5x package).

I like the layout of this map! DM/TDM maps are definitely appreciated Smile

However, the skybox shader seems to fail:
[Image: q4gwlx75cjpega77sar_thumb.jpg]

And next, the texturing needs trims! It's way too plain as it is right now, even if the textures look great Smile Trims should help to recognize edges on the map, which otherwise can be a little hard to do fast when everything is colored similarily (color issue will probably be fixed when you get the skybox to work and send out light properly). Trims will also add to the details in the map, and there are never too many details right Wink
[Image: rap7u8o4n5jfzvzwo97y_thumb.jpg]

BTW: You should probably ask for commit access to the maps repo, so that you can:
1. Commit your texturepack into it's branch (so others can merge without also merging your map, and so the textures are all in one place)
2. Commit your maps into their own branches (and merge the textures branch into the maps where you use your textures)

#2 means that your maps will also get compiled automatically, so that shader fails like this just shouldn't happen (it will look for shaders everywhere instead of just shaderlist.txt). Also try using the xonotic-map-compiler script.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

- Updated Sky problem
- Smoothen up the wall and floor textures:
[Image: dm-9127783793914.png]

Download: HERE

I will post updates from screenshots.

UPDATE_____________________________
[Image: dm-8127790233411.png]

Hey Kay, how many rtlights are you using there?

I have gotten massive speed gains by removing as many of them as possible, decreasing the dynamic lights' radius and spacing them out so they are less dense

another cardinal sin is overlapping dynamic lights

you may be able to get away with 2, but then you start pushing cards really hard because your dynamically shading each pixel from a different angle twice PER LAYER Smile

so try spacing, shrinking and getting rid of as many as you can, see how your fps go...

oh poo im 5 years too late

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Opium update SpiKe 1 331 12-29-2023, 08:38 PM
Last Post: anoob
  Evilspace 2 [UPDATE] Cortez666 30 31,664 02-11-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: cushinga
  [CTF] Space Base [NEW UPDATE] kay 44 49,696 06-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SouL
  TempleCity Beta 2 (Update) _para 6 8,603 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Mario
  Nexball maps HELP needed [Update March 7th] Cortez666 5 10,490 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Cortez666