Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disappearing objects, unwanted phong shading

Can you help?

I imported an .ase model into Radiant to use in my map. It's made up of a multitude of smaller objects. When I compile my map and jump ingame, some parts of the model are not visible, and other parts pop in and out depending on where the player is.

This is not a normals issue I dont think. Normals are good and consistent (and I can fix them where they aren't).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj6d032p1fkffsj/zigg_r160.pk3

Also, is there any way to get rid of all smooth/phong shading? Is that a shader param?

It looks really bad on my models.

I cant look at the pk3 atm, so this is just some qualified guesswork.

The "smoothing" is likely that its being vertex lit rather than lightmapped, you have to set some flags on the misc_model for it to get lightmapped (check the entity inspector for details). The other problem is more diffuse tough; only thing i can think of is broken normals - perhaps try exporting it as .obj or some other supported format?

There are some things you have to fix in your pk3 package:
  • The maps directory is named "Maps" but it´s supposed to be "maps", so without capital letters.
  • It is recomendable (though not mandatory) to name your assets without any capital letters too.
  • You didn´t provide the map file (the source), hence we can´t really help you. If you´d include it then we could say what causes these problems, but at the moment we can only guess...

(12-13-2013, 10:16 PM)tZork Wrote: The "smoothing" is likely that its being vertex lit rather than lightmapped, you have to set some flags on the misc_model for it to get lightmapped (check the entity inspector for details). The other problem is more diffuse tough; only thing i can think of is broken normals - perhaps try exporting it as .obj or some other supported format?

Thanks for the reply.

The smooth shading of the models definitely looks like vertex lighting, you're right. I set r_castshadows 7, r_receiveshadows 7, and _spawnflags 4 on all the models. But, I got the same result. Huh

The disappearing models seems to have been caused by the clip brushes I was using, no idea why. when I made the clip brushes the minimum size they needed to be, this stopped happening. Rolleyes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwl4gf0pcw0u1o...r160_2.pk3

here's a slightly fixed pk3, that includes the .map file. I know it's probably still not 'correct', I'm pretty new to this.

(12-14-2013, 09:48 AM)ziggurat Wrote: The smooth shading of the models definitely looks like vertex lighting, you're right. I set r_castshadows 7, r_receiveshadows 7, and _spawnflags 4 on all the models. But, I got the same result. Huh
You only need to set the 'force_meta' key for full lightmapped models. Those strange lighting effects are probably caused by those caulk brushes which you unintentionally used as clip brushes. Read my next comment on this! (Caulk brushes are used for normal geometry casting shadows, though caulk itself is invisible in the game.)

(12-14-2013, 09:48 AM)ziggurat Wrote: The disappearing models seems to have been caused by the clip brushes I was using, no idea why. when I made the clip brushes the minimum size they needed to be, this stopped happening. Rolleyes
It´s correct that those disappearing polygons where caused by your "clip" brushes. In fact you were not using clip but caulk brushes which are supposed to hide every geometry behind them. For your purpose you should use the actual clip shader. You can find that in the "common" texture directory. Another thing you should fix is to use a more rough grid size, like 4 or 8 units (the shortcut is '3' and '4' on your keyboard). It helps to keep things clean and also easier for making changes later on.

(12-14-2013, 09:48 AM)ziggurat Wrote: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwl4gf0pcw0u1o...r160_2.pk3

here's a slightly fixed pk3, that includes the .map file. I know it's probably still not 'correct', I'm pretty new to this.
Thank you! That really made it easier to give some feedback. You also don´t have to be afraid, everybody was a newbie at some point, myself included. Wink

Wow, I could have sworn I used the clip shader... must have somehow gotten switched. Weird.

I set them to be clip brushes.

I set force_meta on for all the models, but this is still happening. Either it's vertex shading, or it's giving me a super low resolution, phong shaded lightmap.

http://i.imgur.com/S875jq7.jpg

I'm using the [Final: '-light + -bounce 8' (Xonotic approved)] Q3map2 compile setting.

main issue in that screeny seem to be missing texture/s. in such case dp replaces it with a gray checkerboard. try r_lightmaps 1 (iirc) to see just the lightmap render, but you do need to deal wih that shader/texture missing to see anything sensible in the end.

For me it doesn´t seem to be like the textures are not found.

ziggurat, could you be so kind and provide a download to the models again? Your latest pk3 did not include them and your old pakcage seems to be removed from your dropbox.
Using the models I could compile the map myself and do some experimenting and hopefully find the issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disappearing faces top_cat 2 3,427 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Last Post: top_cat
  questions on destructible objects hutty 1 2,938 05-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL