Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Your 2011 game of the year

Just like I did for last year, I'm starting a thread for what was in your opinion the best game of 2011. Mine is definitely going to Bastion with Deus Ex 3 being a runner up. Two other good ones I played were Sonic Generations (PC) and Pokemon White. I still need to give The Witcher 2 a proper playthrough, but from what I've seen that one looks pretty good too.

Two other games that critics (guys that shockingly lack gaming knowledge and like to inflate scores on whatever has a ton of marketing Tongue) loved that I have no intention of picking up are Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3. I played the PS3 version of Battlefield 3 and the XBox 360 version of Modern Warfare 3 at a friend's house and can honestly say they're not even close to being a major improvement to their respective series, Battlefield in particular seems to be a MASSIVE step down from Battlefield 2 and to my knowledge requires ORIGIN (EA's new digital distribution service, from what I've heard it's VERY invasive) if you want to play it on PC and offers no mod support. Modern Warfare 3 was a joke of a game that should've been sold as a $20 expansion pack or DLC for the first game just like Modern Warfare 2 and is LOADED with hackers. To my knowledge the PC version also lacks mod support and dedicated servers apparently took a backseat role.

Once again Xonotic wasn't eligible in my book because it still hasn't hit the 1.0 mark yet, therefore I don't consider it to be a fully developed game. In it's current state though it's still a very good multiplayer game that just needs players, but I know there's a ton of stuff that the development team wants to get in by the time 1.0 hits and would rather review the game after it hits that mark.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Xonotic 0.5

Portal 2
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the past
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

the community, good game !!! Tongue

<3

xono .5 ftw imo

t

:^

A quick clarification of the rules. Does "what was in your opinion the best game of 2011" refer to computer games? Are they games first released in 2011 or any game played on a computing device?

In March 2011 I had quite a challenging game of Freecell and in July 2011 some friends visited and we had a nice game of cards.

I did manage to get Quake 2 working this year so that wins my vote for best game of 2011.

t!

I'd definitely say Portal 2 yet I hate Valve so much for their Vaporsode 3. So then, Witcher 2, I say.

Witcher 2

(12-30-2011, 08:14 AM)Spaceman Wrote: A quick clarification of the rules. Does "what was in your opinion the best game of 2011" refer to computer games? Are they games first released in 2011 or any game played on a computing device?

In March 2011 I had quite a challenging game of Freecell and in July 2011 some friends visited and we had a nice game of cards.

I did manage to get Quake 2 working this year so that wins my vote for best game of 2011.

t!

Released in 2011, any platform. Must be a fully developed game, so no alphas or betas (Xonotic, Tribes: Ascend, etc.).

Oh wait.

XONOTIC MINSTAGIB

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

That's all I can say.

Serious sam 3 and bulletstorm
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

My favourites are definitely Skyrim, Portal 2 and Deus Ex 3!

for me - Red Orchestra 2. It was full of bugs right after the release, but Tripwire is fixing them regulary.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(12-30-2011, 10:07 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(12-30-2011, 08:14 AM)Spaceman Wrote: A quick clarification of the rules. Does "what was in your opinion the best game of 2011" refer to computer games? Are they games first released in 2011 or any game played on a computing device?

t!

Released in 2011, any platform. Must be a fully developed game, so no alphas or betas (Xonotic, Tribes: Ascend, etc.).

Open source is always "beta", because there's always things that can be improved. Other people may have called the same release as we did this year "1.0".

So going by version number isn't really a good idea.

Just from my system, a small selection software in 0.x versions that is DEFINITELY stable:

extra/aspell 0.60.6.1-1
core/dash 0.5.7-2
extra/gnu-netcat 0.7.1-4
core/grub 0.97-21 (base)
local/madplay 0.15.2b-5
extra/normalize 0.7.7-5
extra/w3m 0.5.3-1
extra/xclip 0.12-2

Go by actual state, not by version number. Whether you want to include Xonotic 0.5 here as a full game is entirely up to you, and has nothing to do with what digit the version number begins.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I get what your saying, but...

[Image: devtrackera.png]
[Image: versionnumbers.png]

1.0 is in my eyes and many others going to be the first true release of the game, even with the possibility for improvements later on.

Oh wait.

(12-30-2011, 04:56 PM)divVerent Wrote: core/grub 0.97-21 (base)

Oh silly, grub 1.99 is out and certainly more stable and usable!

Not.

Did everybody forget about Minecraft? Or maybe it's not "fully developed" enough for Lee. I get the feeling (just a feeling, I know you don't mean to) that "fully developed" is meant to select big publisher games; ironically they don't seem to be very stable on release these days.

Apart from a bit of Gothic 3 (which only got reasonably stable by a community patch and only just got reasonably enjoyable due to a hardware upgrade on my part this year) and a bit of angband I didn't play ANY computer game this year to a significant extent except for Xonotic, which I enjoyed the most by far. I'd say Xonotic makes up about 95 percent of my time spent playing computer games.

As for board games, I had some very nice sessions of Robo Rally this year (reasonably stable, though not released this year). This is actually a highly recommended game for nerds imho :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Xonotic is the only FPS game I really enjoy playing

but my game of the year is the RTS/Towerdefense game OilRush(although it’s in pre-order state(since march))
imho it has the best ever graphics for an RTS game and just awesome gameplay.

Skyrim and Portal 2 most certainly, haven't been much satisfied with the rest of this generation's products as of late.

One of the most entertaining games I played this year was probably Bayonetta for PS3 released in 2010. A crazy and humorous hack and slash fantasy game with beautiful visuals pretty much sums it up.

I think that the Cryengine 3 release was cool. Some of the mods are EPIC! Wasn't too keen on the game itself though. Crytek tried to hard to appeal to the console crowd. Portal 2, Skyrim and The Witcher 2 seem to be firm favourites...

Quote:Cryengine 3
My average reaction to any mention of cryengine 3.

No, really. It was one big steaming heap of blur, misused tesselation and Q2 level texture quality. And someone even decided to make mods for THIS?

why couldnt we vote for xonotic? or can we?
[Image: steam.gif]

@Lord Canistra, Really? Well I think the Blackfire mod and Maldo's HD textures were pretty neat. I will admit that some of the base textures are quite blurry and that tesselation is poorly optimised, but it's a good engine nonetheless and it's very powerful. Besides, it's not all about the looks.

Oh yes. It's not about the looks. Lets talk about astonishing, thrilling, non-linear and versatile gameplay of Crysis 2.
And I tried all those HD packs, silly cat still not amused. Sure, the engine itself may be capable of lots of things. But they didn't bother a lot to present it in a good light for PC platform.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IPS 144 Hz is great (if your PC can handle it) Lyberta 3 4,899 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Kirklin
  Show your connection speeds! kojn^ 58 41,619 09-12-2017, 02:19 AM
Last Post: vega
  Happy New Year! kuniu the frogg 6 5,582 12-31-2016, 11:07 PM
Last Post: jngm
  Happy New Year -maniac|Su- 5 4,890 01-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
  Happy New Year 2015!!! aa 11 12,247 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  What's your rig (gaming machine) like? c00L 8 15,175 10-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Halogene
  Your 2013 game of the year Lee_Stricklin 8 10,389 04-11-2014, 04:56 AM