Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamic sky (day/night cycle)

there are a lot of ways to do it, but I fear that they would be too resource intensive for darkplaces as it is now. The engine really isn't built for that sort of thing.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

That sort of thing would probably MURDER the FPS if the environments in the game were to keep the level of detail they currently have now. Scrolling skies like in the original Quake are totally doable though and have been done before, one rather infamous map to do it was Augenkrebs.

On a side note:
Woah! Someone's remaking one of the best Zelda clones of all time (Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen) with the DarkPlaces engine?
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Dynamic skies are good for games in which really a long time passes. Xonotic matches only last about ten minutes, and it would be kinda strange if day/night changed.

a cheap effect I was thinking would maybe be cool was if there were simply 2 frames that faded between each other. this could be used to make, say water have a bit of movement and make the skyboxes seem more alive.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(01-03-2012, 07:58 PM)theShadow Wrote: a cheap effect I was thinking would maybe be cool was if there were simply 2 frames that faded between each other. this could be used to make, say water have a bit of movement and make the skyboxes seem more alive.

This is the cheapest way to do it I'd think, actually changing world lighting would be odd though.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

Mepper:

I'd see it rather in such a fashion that the day cycle and weather conditions inside the game would follow whatever is happening beyond one's window.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Ugh, then I'd always play with night skyboxes? o.O

The only benefit I could imagine would be moving clouds, water, trees or blinking lights, or smoke out of distant chimneys or something like that. So enhancing the general prettiness, whereas leaving the lighting aspects of a map unchanged. Changing day/night cycles within a match would not make much sense imho (which of course isn't condition precedent for its implementation).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(01-04-2012, 09:11 AM)Halogene Wrote: Ugh, then I'd always play with night skyboxes? o.O

The only benefit I could imagine would be moving clouds, water, trees or blinking lights, or smoke out of distant chimneys or something like that. So enhancing the general prettiness, whereas leaving the lighting aspects of a map unchanged. Changing day/night cycles within a match would not make much sense imho (which of course isn't condition precedent for its implementation).

"The ONLY benefit would be moving clouds, water, etc."

That's quite a benefit there in itself in terms of visuals.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

How about letting certain things that you do in game effect the environment.
Maybe the weather could get progressively worse (more rain or lightning) when the match draws to a close, or lightning strikes when a team scores a cap. I like the sound of scrolling skies and dynamic water, but I don't think there should be a day/night cycle.

(01-07-2012, 04:38 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: I like the sound of scrolling skies

you can make a scrolling sky very easily with _skybox entity, and some beziers... here is a little example of this. Sorry for the very ugly texturing and mapping, is just an example, surely someone can do it better and get a nice map example!

very nice ... looks a little flatish though ... this could defiantly be improved upon ... thanks for the example

I don't think this is doable at all since maps have to be compiled... You aren't going to be able to change lighting and shadows on the fly in DP, unless of course you use the realtime lights features of DP (last time I checked they were slow and not all that very visually impressive)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

rlights are slow ... but they are visually impressive ... using a giant rlight for the sun is very very not an option ...

also rlights can't move

(05-14-2012, 11:50 AM)hutty Wrote: rlights are slow ... but they are visually impressive ... using a giant rlight for the sun is very very not an option ...

also rlights can't move

you can control all the light values with qc tricks... obviously i do not speak about a sun, just a variation of lights... maybe you can get some "day and night" cycle like the mod "kleshik" for darkplaces-quake. But this is not a feature for a MP like xonotic.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make dynamic lighting Cuinnton 4 5,572 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Cuinnton
  Hi res space sky box? MintOX 4 6,819 04-28-2010, 02:24 AM
Last Post: Hypnosekröte