Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what would you do if you were in my situation with this laptop

i'm sorry if this is annoying but i figured that i better make the best of not being able to play high quality games soo i thought i should ask the computer geeks and guru's here in the xonotic forums what they would do in my situation.
which is this
[Image: BHMOd.jpg]

all of the hardware things match and are okay for this game skyrm but my video card, and its a laptop so i don't think i'd be able to change its graphics card on this inspirion n4020 laptop.

So if you were in my situation what would you do?
would you get angry and throw the piece of trash out the window?
or would you overclock it(i has no clue about that)
or like get a new computer?(I don't think i could do that)
or do you know any ways i could fix this or make it run? cause i swear everyone i know has played this on the pc and gotten perfect frames and stuff and i cant Sad

sooo tell me ^_^
what would you do?

If I were you I'd get an xbox with the XIM3 keyboard and mouse adapter and use that for hardcore gaming. It looks as though your laptop can't run Skyrim with that video card. With some models, you can upgrade your video card, but it's pretty rare.

Any attempt to game on integrated graphics adapter is a doomed deed. If you're into games such as Skyrim, that is.

(01-09-2012, 03:57 PM)Lord Canistra Wrote: Any attempt to game on integrated graphics adapter is a doomed deed. If you're into games such as Skyrim, that is.

Yep I figured that out about a month after I got this laptop.

My advice would be to sell the laptop and use the money to do an ultra budget build $200-$400 or just buy some cheaper desktop with a better gfx card. Laptops with descent gfx cards are not cheap i'm sure you know that but if you keep your eyes open you might be able to find something descent that's on sale or refurbished.

here is a good site for for price checking a build http://pcpartpicker.com/
tigerdirect or newegg have some cheaper barebones kits available.
Notebookcheck is a good site when looking for a laptop with a good GPU it list what frames you will get in each game here
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

(01-09-2012, 03:33 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: If I were you I'd get an xbox with the XIM3 keyboard and mouse adapter and use that for hardcore gaming. It looks as though your laptop can't run Skyrim with that video card. With some models, you can upgrade your video card, but it's pretty rare.

$149.99

Wot. I'd rather buy a GFX card.

Quote:Wot. I'd rather buy a GFX card.

Buying an Xbox is the cheapest way to play games and still get decent graphics. It's up to you, either sell the laptop and buy a good desktop for something like $300, or get an Xbox for $150 - it's a lot more limited but also half the price.

I'd listen to Liquid Sin. If you keep your eyes peeled, you might find something good. Check Ebay. I've seen Asus laptops with gtx 460s in them go for $400.

EDIT: DON'T GET THE XIM3. IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND ISN'T READILY AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW!

I said "Wot" because the $150 are not for the Xbox, but for the input adapter device.

(01-10-2012, 11:27 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I said "Wot" because the $150 are not for the Xbox, but for the input adapter device.

It reminds me of the time when I saw the price tag on TE OP-1 synth. Why would a portable synthesiser have military aircraft-grade knobs?

And why would a mouse and keyboard need extra precision and embedded screens?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(01-10-2012, 12:18 PM)Minkovsky Wrote:
(01-10-2012, 11:27 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I said "Wot" because the $150 are not for the Xbox, but for the input adapter device.

It reminds me of the time when I saw the price tag on TE OP-1 synth. Why would a portable synthesiser have military aircraft-grade knobs?

And why would a mouse and keyboard need extra precision and embedded screens?

The price and shininess is to hide the fact that the thing is a huge hack. It translates mouse input to xbox analog controller input, compensating for the game's specific response. It simulates xbox controller to match what movement you would expect from your mouse input.

Holy cow, I could have sworn I saw the XIM3 for much less than $150. Jesus.

Also, I do apologise, Mr Bougo, I assumed you were talking about the Xbox. I never anticipated that the input device would cost so much!

Anyway, like I said before, I think that you (Jacob) should have a look on websites like Ebay for some laptops/desktop parts (building a desktop is a lot cheaper than buying one prebuilt) and if you want to, you could get an Xbox.

You should overclock a toaster with a flux capacitor and initiate a quantum resonance cascade.

Or if you feel like learning you could build your own gaming rig. Its cheaper than buying a prebuilt and oh so much fun.

No idea what country you are in but for the UK:
overclockers.co.uk
novatech.co.uk
ebuyer.com

Thats the three I tend to use.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

I'm still a newbie at computers somewhat, so i'm a bit off on hardware, like i'm not sure where to get things what to get. Honestly it seems a bit fun to make your own gaming rig or computer.

so like what parts would I need and what would the price range be?

generally, get the better hardware you feel you can afford. i would recommend something along the lines a intel i3, 5 or 7 based system 8-16 gigs of ram and a HD 6950 or nv 560 ti gpu (id go with the nv card or a slightly older AMD here if you are going to play Xonotic allot, the benchmarks suggest AMD HD 69XX cards preform miserably in darkplaces) if you have a bit of cash to spare and want a rig that can preform decent in most games. Note that you can get away with substantially less pricy hardware too, for many titles (as long as your willing to not turn everything to max) - it all depends on your budget and your target games / apps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You know you've played too much Xonotic when... [AP]Sniperz 45 42,346 10-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  You'll thank me when you read click on this thread...trust me .Danny. 20 26,504 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  This would make a great movie Lee_Stricklin 1 3,764 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Last Post: CrrazzyRulezz