Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
Basic basics, or what I wish someone had told me half a year ago

Pretty nice, but you made some mistakes:

-In Nexuiz you can just hold jumpbutton too. How long ago did you last play that game? Tongue
-When turning, releasing worward key and pressing one of the strafe keys still makes you faster. You lose less speed if you just do it with forward key than in Nexuiz, but you do lose speed.
-You say less music? Go to the development forum section and check and "MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC", just count the tracks Tongue

And you forgot to say just all weapons have changed a lot, regarding to balance. Xonotic is balanced Smile

Quote:-In Nexuiz you can just hold jumpbutton too. How long ago did you last play that game? Tongue

Removed. But disabling in input menu is indeed new to Xonotic, so this part is left.

Quote:-When turning, releasing worward key and pressing one of the strafe keys still makes you faster. You lose less speed if you just do it with forward key than in Nexuiz, but you do lose speed.

This is not really what I meant. For more clarity, see attached demo recorded in 2.5.2. From ~27-28 second, I switched from turning using mouse only to support with keys. There is pretty major difference in speed of taking corners. OTOH, in Xonotic "mouse only" approach works well enough on its own.

Quote:-You say less music? Go to the development forum section and check and "MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC", just count the tracks Tongue

And this is where things get tricky, because there may be many tracks included in theory, but in practice you only hear a few of them, because others are used rarely or not at all. Honestly, I'm starting to think this game could use "licensed tracks"-like system, where instead of tying track to the map, you can enable/disable specific tracks, have them played randomly or in order, maybe even show their name in-game.

EDIT: @Halogene, good suggestion, removed post from this thread and started as separate one.

Attached Files
.zip   2012-02-06_13-00_racetrack.zip (Size: 187.63 KB / Downloads: 0)

Rafallus: good idea about the differences to Nexuiz intro, but maybe you should make a thread of its own for that, it rather gets lost in this thread and newcomers from Nexuiz might think "oh, this is for complete newbies, I'm not interested" and don't read stuff that's on page 3 of the thread. Just make a thread of your own, then it is visible to Nexuiz players right from the forum overview.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Aw no, you shouldn't have removed, now I can't split and merge this discussion into the new thread because the discussion comes before the thread Sad

Just FYI, all, moderators can split and merge posts from/into threads.

Aw, shame, but at least I applied those corrections for new post.

Why we don't add weapons descriptions from this epic post to wiki? Currently Wiki describes weapons only by showing their symbols. We could copy/paste this text to wiki. It would help new comers.

Ah dammit. Somebody please rate this thread high, I accidentally clicked one star.

done , also:

-You say less music? Go to the development forum section and check and "MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC", just count the tracks

yer , and imo...

HEY DEVS!~ , I THINK ITS TIME TO MAKE THAT ROUND OF NERD MUSIC NERD VOTE NERD NERD THINGO TO HAPPEN!

fact is if we dont push at least 10 new tunes into game now..

its gunna be all go... and no show.

sound/music is a massive part guys , never forget that.

oh and a basic tip , in line with halogene's topic

ROCKET OFF WALLS! , WOOOOOOOOOOO! , EXTREME SPORTS FTW!

screw health , preserve nothing!

build ya stuff up , plan a path and just go for it!

three may not work , but 1 may (ctf capping)

speed capping may be looked down upon , but too bad for them

at least its not camping , or having a 58 button multi combo cheat mouse :p

try extreeme methods , and practise them.

open mind , open style

t

:^

Updated main post to reflect the changes made to fireball and minstanex. Also included Fuel Regenerator and Fuel Cells pickups.
My Xonstats Profile

Very well written, thanks Halogene!

Original post updated to reflect changes to crylink secondary.
My Xonstats Profile

Whoa! This is nice! I haven't read all of it yet, but...
Would you want an audio version of this? Big Grin
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

hm, then we'd have a wall of text and an audiobook... and all that people want is a video...

which reminds me, I actually was already kind of working on a tutorial video... also I need to update this, it's outdated!!
My Xonstats Profile

(07-12-2013, 02:11 PM)Halogene Wrote: hm, then we'd have a wall of text and an audiobook... and all that people want is a video...
Yeah, I think you're right Big Grin
(07-12-2013, 02:11 PM)Halogene Wrote: which reminds me, I actually was already kind of working on a tutorial video... also I need to update this, it's outdated!!

There was a video podcast (I think it was more than that) called Nexuiz In-Depth:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NexuizInDepth?feature=watch
Most I remeber from it were trickjumps.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Today I discovered that you can detonate electro balls mid air.
Blew my mind, how long has this been possible, always or 0.8 only?
For some reason I have thought the primary just went through.
https://imgur.com/BrP7ZFo

Aaawesome! I think this has been around for ages, at least since electro got limited to three orbs. Or maybe forever even.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Recent 0.8 addition I believe.
[Image: 38443.png]

Yes, this occurred either at or just after the 0.8 release. It didn't make it into the release announcement.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Good, so I'm not crazy after all.

Can't comment too much on weather it's good or bad since I've not played too many matches with it. (I kinda dislike it, but people disliked new movement which I liked so I understand there are trade-offs for all players). Personally I find it slightly irritating such big gameplay changes can come without any information about design discussion and testing feedback. Being quite inactive for some time I've come to the conclusion that a big part about difficulty of picking Xonotic up for beginners is in fact that the game changes 24/7 and much much info is outdated. Contrast that with QuakeWorld which I managed to start playing pickup TDMs in just a few hours of gameplay due to all info on the web being up-to-date.

The Arc heals!

I may have read about that before, but it didn't click until I saw it in-game. What a cool game dynamic.

you may want to specify that it heals TEAMMATES Smile -- it hurts the enemy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crazy... Later on this month will mark the tenth year anniversary Lee_Stricklin 1 2,001 03-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Wink New Year Fireworks: 256 bots on Final Rage drummyfish 3 2,963 01-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: drummyfish
Video Basic movements video Karamel 4 6,229 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Karamel
  Wish to replace the xonotic music with the music from nexuiz Chromatose 19 19,625 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  Last half-second frag to force overtime soze 10 13,815 05-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Last Post: soze