Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
Basic basics, or what I wish someone had told me half a year ago

PS. any word on tuba - or is it meant to be left out?

Oooh you're right, I totally forgot about the tuba and the akkordeon - but I wonder, those are easter eggs rather than regular weapons, aren't they? I know of only one map that actually makes them available in regular gameplay (Xoylent, though in form of an easter egg there too), and I don't even know if that bersion made it into official Xonotic (can't check that atm).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Maybe you're right, I'll write a few words about it in a several topic.

PS. akkordeon? That's a new one to me.

Look at the Xonotic Bot Orchestra topic!

so, i finally managed to read it all carefully. Thank you for porting it to Xonotic Halogene Smile

some issues:

in 'controlling the map' section:
you can't collect as many h/a as you want. It's capped to 200/200 from what i know

in weapons section:
minstanex - "...back in glory days.." - we didn't have glory days of anything YET! Cool

about gamemodes:

in CA you start with 200/100 (same in LMS)
Generally the gamemode list is kind of out of order.
Ok the order is alphabetical but if so, it needs to be rewritten a bit. For example, second on your list - Assault - "is a similiar team mode". Similiar to what? Arena?
TDM is on the other hand described as it would be placed right after DM originally.

I would put them in different order. Basic ones, like DM, TDM, CTF first, LMS and CA close to each other, as they are kind of similiar (more or less like DM and TDM) and then rest of them.

About nexball - there are two types of it, football where you push the ball (ball gun useless here) and basketball where you grab the ball (ballgun usefull here). Type of nexball mechanics depends on mappers choice, so it's map dependant. There is quite nice description of nexball on xonotic wiki.
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Nexball

maybe it could be merged somehow (this thread and xonotic wiki) as some descriptions there are fine, some descriptions here are fine and maybe it could be unified?
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(01-29-2012, 05:05 AM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: in CA you start with 200/100 (same in LMS)

200/200 for both. Shy

Thanks kuniu for the really helpful feedback! I'll edit the text accordingly.
My Xonstats Profile

Ok, updated. I decided to divide the game mode section into team based and non-team based, sorta only logic I found in that. Also I updated some game modes, added CTS and corrected the errors you found. The wiki Nexball text is interesting, but imho too long for the game mode description, and I think what I have written there covers it mostly? I added "football" and "basketball" terms though.

I wonder what should be the name for the gun you grab other people's balls with? "Fumble Gun"?
My Xonstats Profile

I suggest "Clutch of Doom" for the Funball Gun.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Nice idea, but I don't like the abbreviation of that. Funball Gun sounds nice too, maybe a merger of Fumble Gun and Funball Gun could do the trick? Like, Fumbal Gun? Big Grin
My Xonstats Profile

Addition to runematch after a bit of experimenting:

There are five characteristics that can be altered, positive and negative effect cancel each other out, so if you have all 5 runes, you have neither any advantage or any of drawbacks (in theory at least - see below). Effects of each rune are paired randomly, it is possible to get a neutral combination in one rune (maybe that should be fixed?)

Effects:
Damage dealt (red) - good: strength, bad: weakness.
Movement speeed (yellow) - good: speed, bad: slow.
Damage received (blue) - good: defense, bad: vulnerability.
HP change when damaging others (purple) - good: vampire, bad: empathy.
Change base HP (green) - good: vitality (175), bad: venom (60). Your health will rise or fall accordingly.

having both venom and vitality sets your base HP at 90 instead of notmal 100. Probably a bug

I noted colors, because you can tell, what each rune does by inspecting its colors. Color of the ball indicates good effect, color of the line indicates bad effect.

I still have to read this, and all the comments (GG btw.), here are some stuff to point out:

FireBall and Minstanex are "Superweapons" now. On regular maps, they spawn like strenght or shield, from time to time, and are only avaible in your hands for a few seconds, with unlimited ammo: use your time visely Wink

Nexball: it actually has 3 game modes, all a bit different:

Classic football:
You can only "kick" the ball with your movement. Also, if you jump at once when trying to kick the ball, you'll kick it in a curved way in the air over your opponent. Also, no gun models are drawn

Basketball:
When you get it, you can hold the ball in a special gun. Primary fire releases the ball with pulsating power (power up/power down, look at the teams related panel). With secondary fire, you can steal the ball from a nearby opponent or team member. The victim is pushed a little.

Bombing run ala ut2k4:
Basket ball mode with weapons. When you carry the ball, you cannot change to any other weapon, so you're defenseless. However, you can safe-pass the ball to any team member: place the crosshair over a team member, until you see little flames on your screen (placeholder effect, soon it'll be done with "Tagged" waypoint), and upon pressing secondary firemode, the ball will fly directly to the selected team member.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Thanks for the updates, I'll have a look and update accordingly. C.Brutail, but the Minstanex and Fireball aren't superweapons YET, are they? I've not noticed them on any git/autobuild server yet... I'll have to edit that when 0.6 is released, or what do you think?

Also, how to name that special gun? I suggest Fumbal Gun Big Grin
(in-game message: "Halogene fumballed XXX's ball") (Is there an in-game message for grabbing the ball from someone?)

Also rafallus, I don't think neutral runes should be possible. If you can verify that this is the case, would you mind open a ticket on the tracker? Thanks for your observations, runematch hasn't received much attention so far :o)
My Xonstats Profile

All my corrections are for 0.6, yes.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Quote:Also rafallus, I don't think neutral runes should be possible. If you can verify that this is the case, would you mind open a ticket on the tracker? Thanks for your observations, runematch hasn't received much attention so far :o)

I'd love to, but for some reason, I can't log into tracker. Is it possible to add tickets not logged in?

(02-01-2012, 10:54 AM)rafallus Wrote:
Quote:Also rafallus, I don't think neutral runes should be possible. If you can verify that this is the case, would you mind open a ticket on the tracker? Thanks for your observations, runematch hasn't received much attention so far :o)

I'd love to, but for some reason, I can't log into tracker. Is it possible to add tickets not logged in?

I did it: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/1048
Did you register there? If yes tell me your name and I will pass it to someone who can add you to the "Reporter" list.

Wow. I just happen to find this now, when I was about to add a User Guide to the Wiki; to make it less dev-ish and actually more universally used.
Great stuff. Would you mind if I integrate this into the wiki or would you later update it there?

I set up a temporary page for brainstorming a structure at http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/GuideIndex
The actual guide is supposed to get a bit more visually pleasing though, with icons and such Big Grin
If you have write access there, you're all welcome to enhance this WIP. Or PM me your thoughts on what to change.

Quote:Did you register there? If yes tell me your name and I will pass it to someone who can add you to the "Reporter" list.

Same as here: rafallus

@topic
how about a section comparing Xonotic to Nexuiz 2.5.2 to clearly outline different stuff?

you can add tickets without being reporter. make sure you're browsing the correct project though.

@nilyt: good idea about the guide, I already fancied that idea myself for a while since this document got bigger and bigger. I'll happily add stuff/rework text for your project. That will be a full game manual then, I suppose. I'd have added pics of weapons and stuff for this guide but the forum isn't the right platform for good text formatting Cool

Edit: I can't seem to edit anything on the wiki though, I seem not to have edit permissions. :o/
My Xonstats Profile

@rafallus: It has been rejected - http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/1048
You can comment there.

I still can't even login there, so I must say it here.

Honestly, if they want to remove runematch, I don't care. From the beginning I thought it should be more like a mutator that can be added to whatever mode you already play (and if it were, both of these issues would be very relevant. Balance - because making bad effects stronger would nullify the incentive for collecting as many runes as possible. And neutral runes would bring no diversity to the match. Actually, in current form "neutral" rune is clearly negative, and other than for making points, is to be avoided - kinda defeats the point. But possibility of getting neutral rune was not addressed in that message - I just got out that this mode is supposed to be gone altogether, so effort is pointless). Plus, I'd still much rather see eg. more music, like I said before.

At this point I think it's best to separate this entire discussion (#36 and from #39 from now on) as a new topic.

DON'T REMOVE MY RUNEMATCH!!!!!

(02-02-2012, 01:18 PM)rafallus Wrote: I still can't even login there, so I must say it here.

Honestly, if they want to remove runematch, I don't care. From the beginning I thought it should be more like a mutator that can be added to whatever mode you already play ...
Totally agree, as a mode of its own i find it rather lame. As s spice to other modes it could be quite fun.

(02-02-2012, 01:43 PM)Mepper Wrote: [hugered]DON'T REMOVE MY RUNEMATCH!!!!![/hugered]
from tracker:
Quote: but if you actually like Runematch, maybe we'll actually maintain it when needed

Now, for that to happen it does need either allot of input on how to make it good (and/)or someone from the community willing to step up and bring the code up to date and implement suggestions to make it better. You dont need a ton of skillz to do this, and ill be happy to guide someone on how to do this.

As div stated its been around for a long time, more or less unchanged and unplayed. Carrying around every piece of code forever makes maintaining the overall codebase tedious, to say the least.

the last time i saw a server where you were able to play runematch was back in 2006
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crazy... Later on this month will mark the tenth year anniversary Lee_Stricklin 1 2,012 03-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Wink New Year Fireworks: 256 bots on Final Rage drummyfish 3 2,987 01-10-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: drummyfish
Video Basic movements video Karamel 4 6,239 03-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Karamel
  Wish to replace the xonotic music with the music from nexuiz Chromatose 19 19,674 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  Last half-second frag to force overtime soze 10 13,831 05-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Last Post: soze