Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a new HIGH APM CAPABLE keyboard

My Unicomp Customizer 101 (modern day Model M) while excellent for typing, keeps getting me killed in games like Sonic CD and Cave Story due to it's inability to register half the shit I punch in (nothing more frustrating than clicking Z 3 times and still seeing Sonic run right off the edge of a cliff or seeing Quote continuously fly to the right of the screen even though you depressed the right cursor and smashed the up cursor). With that said, it's clearly time retire this temperamental thing to a more suited role and bring in another mechanical keyboard capable of getting the job done. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm not looking for over the top/excessively flashy ricer stuff, but will take it if it gets the job done.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

logitech is generally pretty good at this sort of thing. I can't really recommend anything specific but their stuff is just generally good.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/...vices/6692
maybe this one?
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I was actually hoping to dodge Logitech as they have generally been the complete opposite of what you described them for me, building their stuff as cheap as possible (had a G15 V2 go out on me in just over a year of use) and having some seriously shoddy construction. Plus, I actually have one of those same keyboards from another set up I scrapped sitting in a crate right next to my desk.

Here's three that I'm looking at right now:

Specs seem to look like what I'm after
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823356001

Another choice, but I'm hearing about reliability issues from these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823114012

Another option I was looking at, but I can't seem to find a specs sheet anywhere that has polling rate and APM listed
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823839010

Oh wait.

Whoa. That's a lot of money.

Do you really need such "high performance" (whatever that means, golden cables and faraday cages?) input? Couldn't it be a problem on the software side?

EDIT: well damn, for that price they should AT LEAST ditch that awful windows logo, what the crap is up with this insulting branding.

(01-23-2012, 10:33 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Whoa. That's a lot of money.

Do you really need such "high performance" (whatever that means, golden cables and faraday cages?) input? Couldn't it be a problem on the software side?

EDIT: well damn, for that price they should AT LEAST ditch that awful windows logo, what the crap is up with this insulting branding.

That's actually at about the limit as far as price range is concerned and these are mechanical keyboards which means I won't be switching them out frequently (since key switches don't wear down as quickly as dome sheets). The specs on the first one look about right where I want them (1000 hz pulling rate and nkey rollover, hopefully that will eliminate unregistered key presses). While you don't need a high-spec keyboard for FPS (not even twitch shooters), using a sub par one will get you killed in other games. It's also not unusual to buy pricy equipment for PC gaming either, my mouse actually retailed for $70 USD + shipping at the time that I got it (though I was lucky enough to get it from a liquidation sale for only $40) and I'd say it was well worth it's price tag.

Oh wait.

What makes platforming games so tough to play without ultra high performance input? Do you have a high performance USB controller to go with that? I've never experienced the awful things you're describing, so this all seems way too similar to the audiophile scam to me. Do you really need 1MHz clocking to register your Z key press? It seems overkill to go from a crappy keyboard that doesn't register your key press even when you do it three times, to a millisecond keyboard.

actually, from what lee describes in his first post, it sounds kinda like he abuses the shit out of his keyboards. (EX: slamming the up key)

correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you just want something really solid that can take a beating.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I've had my Razer Arctosa keyboard for just over 1 year now and it has served me well. I haven't come across a single problem yet...

Touches wooden desk...

I've got some sort of compaq keyboard. Its basically invincible. I've had this thing for... 6 years or so? Its had beer, coffee, tea etc. spilled on it on multiple occasions. Its also had me rage and punch the thing a fair few times, which has caused a key or two to stick but nothing thats used often enough to be a bother.

So yeah, compaq could be a good call.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Don't buy from Ozone, their manufacturing is crap and they usualy take other companies' design and make it out of the cheapest possible parts.
most of thier stuff breaks fast.
otherwise

I've heard great things about the thermaltake meka g1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823162014

(01-23-2012, 11:52 AM)theShadow Wrote: actually, from what lee describes in his first post, it sounds kinda like he abuses the shit out of his keyboards. (EX: slamming the up key)

correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you just want something really solid that can take a beating.

I don't think I'm THAT abusive towards keyboards... The one I have still works, but just isn't capable of a high APM regardless of whether I'm using it as a PS/2 keyboard or a USB one.

(01-23-2012, 08:34 PM)s1lencer Wrote: Don't buy from Ozone, their manufacturing is crap and they usualy take other companies' design and make it out of the cheapest possible parts.
most of thier stuff breaks fast.
otherwise

I've heard great things about the thermaltake meka g1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823162014

That does look like a better choice given that it's cheaper and has about the same specs. Same switch type even.

(01-23-2012, 07:37 PM)Sepelio Wrote: I've got some sort of compaq keyboard. Its basically invincible. I've had this thing for... 6 years or so? Its had beer, coffee, tea etc. spilled on it on multiple occasions. Its also had me rage and punch the thing a fair few times, which has caused a key or two to stick but nothing thats used often enough to be a bother.

So yeah, compaq could be a good call.

Think I used to have a similar keyboard a few years ago. Wasn't mechanical, but it was still built like a tank and had individual rubber domes as opposed to a sheet of them. Also had a steel plate in it. It eventually stopped working on me though and was filthy as hell on top of it. It also had key ghosting (mash down a handful of keys and the keys near them would register) and it couldn't have any more than three keys pressed at once.

Oh wait.

Try here.

That site has more info than most people would want.

I heard alot of good reports about keytronic keyboards.
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for someone to create station ID's end user 0 3,417 07-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Last Post: end user
  Seems there's a resurgence in high speed and arena FPS games now Lee_Stricklin 12 23,474 09-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Could someone teach me high poly modelling? Faraday 2 3,662 01-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Last Post: aa