Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tuba, tuba, tuba (and akkordeon too!)

Music 
Where to find?

There are several maps, that contain the Tuba. I know of two, feel free to add more:
-Xoylent (since certain autobuild), contains a Tuba in a secret room. To know, how to get there, watch this video made by Mirio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7yuq53X4IQ
Note that this video was made on some older version, since secret room doesn't contain a tuba yet.
-bot-orchestra-stage, there are ALL weapons available from the beginning, including Tuba.

How to play?

Bear with me, it's gonna get a bit complicated.

You play different notes, whether you hold primary or secondary. Also, moving while playing, alters the note. There are 8 possible directions you can move, which gives you 18 different possibilities to play the note.

Primary fire, while stationary, plays a C note. Secondary fire, while stationary, plays a G note. Movement changes played note per fixed amount of semitones, depending on selected direction. Let me demonstrate current pattern (as of Jan 27) by the table, figured out by trial and error.

+3 +4 -1
+5 0 +2
-6 -5 -4

So, for example, if you move right, you add two semitones to note played if stationary. If you move backwards, you subtract 5 semitones from that base note, if you move forwards and to the left diagonally, you add 3 semitones to the base note, and so on.

Notes go like this:

C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C and so on (sharped notes can alternately be written with flats, for example C#=Db, D#=Eb and so on)

So in the end you get those notes:

Primary fire:

D# E B
F C D
F# G G#

Secondary fire:

A# B F#
C G A
C# D D#

Also, by jumping, you raise played note by an octave (12 semitones) - essentially, it gives you the same note, but higher.
And by crouching you lower played note by an octave (credit goes to Halogene).

Use as a weapon

Tuba can also be used as an actual weapon - yes, you can totally frag enemies with it! Just hold fire, primary or alternate and stay close to the enemy. Tuba does obstruct quite a bit of your field of view, so it is pretty awkward to use as a weapon.

Akkordeon!

Thanks go to Halogene and Maddin for the information about this one.

When holding tuba, you can press reload (default: R) to switch to akkordeon. Mechanics of playing are the same, but of course it sounds different. You can then switch back and forth between both instruments with reload key.

Example

Try this melody:

CCGGAAG FFEEDDC GGFFEED GGFFEED CCGGAAG FFEEDDC

i remember when we were testing rad ished's version of soylent.

Rad Ished and i where playing while -z- sat on the top and played twinkle twinkle little star. It was weird and fun.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Tips for pros: use "reload" bind to switch to accordeon when holding the tuba.
Also see how the POWER OF MUSIC can make you FLOAT:

http://ompldr.org/vYzd3NA

Oh, and if you use crouch key, you play an octave lower, if I recall correctly.
[Image: 249.png] Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out my Newbie Corner!
<ZeRoQL> i think i got 1 proper quad and that cunt halogen fuck me over with a laser

I think I remember at one point div talking about MIDI input bound to aliases that would let you play the tuba using a MIDI keyboard. Was that implemented?
[Image:http://i.imgur.com/4XODR.png]640K ought to be enough for anybody.
     ― Linux Torvalds

It's possible, I remember divVerent telling me, but I don't remember what you have to do. It would be awesome to meet on a server featuring the orchestra map and making music together with other people...
[Image: 249.png] Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out my Newbie Corner!
<ZeRoQL> i think i got 1 proper quad and that cunt halogen fuck me over with a laser

Found!

http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/xonoti...cd;hb=HEAD
[Image:http://i.imgur.com/4XODR.png]640K ought to be enough for anybody.
     ― Linux Torvalds

Docs/tuba.png Wrote:[Image: tuba.png]
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Nice fingering chart for Tuba, @divVerent! Better than the traditional one.

(01-27-2012, 06:44 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: i remember when we were testing rad ished's version of soylent.

Rad Ished and i where playing while -z- sat on the top and played twinkle twinkle little star. It was weird and fun.

how do you get past the door in soylent? what do i put as the admin name in i have stared a lan server? thanks! Smile

Mirio's video is no longer available.

You have to deserve access. Hint: look through xoylent's .map file Wink

I wonder if we could get more people interested in development by including easter eggs and telling them to find out how they work by looking at the code. Smile
[Image: 30381.png]

(11-12-2017, 06:42 AM)martin-t Wrote: You have to deserve access. Hint: look through xoylent's .map file Wink

I wonder if we could get more people interested in development by including easter eggs and telling them to find out how they work by looking at the code. Smile

Another git gud bullshit. We should rename Xonotic to Cuphead 3D.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I like the tuba -z- 19 12,863 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Halogene